What app is best to play .mkv files?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by sidishere, Jun 21, 2009.

1. dexter222

dexter222 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 19, 2009
    United States
    Land of Fruits and Nuts
    The Wii can't do 720p - 480p is it. There is no need to stream it anything better. The PS3 Media Server mentioned earlier is a highly configurable UPnP server for your PC. TVersity is another... it will let you play your Hulu queue through your UPnP client. It's quite low demand. There is another server, play on, that will let you play your Netflix queue - it's another UPnP server for your PC... And you can run all 3 of these at the same time [​IMG]

You shouldn't be looking at the Wii as a high end solution - or even a medium end for that matter. Being able to play all these formats is often usless because the wii doesn't have enough horsepower to do it much of the time and the streaming speed isn't the limiting factor. It would be more appropriate to view the wii as a low end solution of convenience - in other words - a UPnP client... Weather it can play files from a hard drive, sd card, or even a DVD is less relevant than using it as a UPnP client and nothing else.

Someone mentioned retiring their xbox - no way it's time to do that yet [​IMG] - I still have 3 in use with XBMC.

2. sidishere
    OP

sidishere GBAtemp Regular

Apr 5, 2009
    i might try geexbox see how it goes..

3. another_waster

another_waster GBAtemp Regular

Dec 27, 2008
    United States
    England
    How did it go? Every film I get these days seems to be mkv!!! Its VERY annoying!

4. cwstjdenobs

cwstjdenobs Sodomy non sapiens

Mar 10, 2009
    Ankh-Morpork
    Especially as they won't work in windows without fucking up the sound...

But TBH why bother with the HD downloads? I can't tell the difference between movies in HD and SD movies ripped from a HD source. Same for TV shows. The only thing that realy looks better in HD is games.

EDIT: But making sure they are ripped from HD really does make a difference.

5. seahorsepip

seahorsepip GBAtemp Regular

Feb 18, 2009
    Netherlands
    Netherlands
    the purpose is getting the video on the tv screen...
    so 2 options:
    1run it on wii that cn't run it good with bad hd quality.
    2run op pc connect pc to tv [​IMG]

6. giantpune

giantpune GBAtemp Addict

Apr 10, 2009
    United States
    you might as well be asking if somebody can port VLC to run on your SNES to play these movies. it doesnt matter how much you want it to happen or how many different ways you ask. the wii was not made to play these files. using VLC, mplayer, windows media player, XBMC, ect on the wii wont help. i dont know how to dumb that down any more.

no.

7. cala

cala Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    I'm trying to use the program handbrake to reformat my mkv videos so that they play smoothly on my Wii via MPlayerCE. So far, changing the video coding options and FPS hasnt come to my desired result. I hope changes to RF will bear fruit.

8. PsyBlade

PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Jul 30, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Sol III
    things to try
    - limit res to 480
    - decrease bitrate
    - use xvid

9. jojones88

jojones88 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2008
    United States
    you could also try encoding with MPEG4 (ffmpeg) on handbrake instead of H.264. basically xvid....

H264 over 480 is a gamble due to the Wii's hardware limitations.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted