Gaming Well I just got Tales of the Abyss

Klightx15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Today I went out and bought a new 3ds game and out of the two games I had in mind, I chose Tales of the Abyss over Metal Gear Solid (due to the fact that I didnt wanna wait to order a circle pad pro and play the game with the finicky controls. And because I felt that I wanted a style of game I have never played before). Well at first I was really skeptical before buying Tales, since im not much of an anime fan (anymore), but I gave it a shot anyways and forked over the 40 dollars for the game, I was almost scared that I would end up regretting the purchase. But to my surprise I actually really like this game so far! The camera style is very unique and so is the battle system. The graphics really arent that bad either, only complain is that the colors could be a little more vivid. A co-op or multiplayer mode wouldve been sweet as well. So yeah as far as I know, I dont regret buying this game and I would recommend anyone try it. So yeah thats pretty much my 2 cents/short review.

Jennyfurr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yay! =D haha, Tales of the Abyss really is good. I've been pretty stressed out lately, so I have had a hard time focusing on most games.. but this one is just so good I can forget about the stressful stuff and enjoy ^_^

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It's impossible to regret buying a fantastic game like Tales of the Abyss, or any other Tales game for that matter.
Tales of Phantasia
for the GBA.
Played the PSX version, SNES version and the GBA version, and finished all of them without complaints. o.O"
I don't see the issue with the Phantasia version for the GBA, still one of the best rpgs that the gba had to offer. :3

On topic, try playing and getting all the side quests and the Catalyst Weapons... They end up becomming so strong.

ThriLL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Phantasia was fine. If there's a Tales game you should be complaining about, it's Tempest. Now that's one Tales game I'm glad never reached the US. Would've left a bad taste to new players' mouths if they had that as their first Tales game lol.

Abyss PS2 has multiplayer, if you have a PS2 still lying around, TotA PS2's pretty cheap nowadays since the 3DS version came out.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
I've really enjoyed playing it, too. I've played other Tales games, but this is my first time playing Abyss. The lack of vivid colours are a bit of a pain in some parts, clarity can be really poor regardless of the screen's brightness level. The game can suffer from a severely reduced frame rate in parts, which is also quite annoying. As far as RPGs go, though, I think it's pretty good.

If the US is anything like Europe, you made the right decision— MGS will be a dime a dozen in 6 months but Tales will be hard to find and expensive on the Internets.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I'd happily be playing Tales of the Abyss right now if it was possible to acquire it in this fucking country. God damn it England licks balls. I had the damn thing pre-ordered and it STILL never showed up. Thank christ I never paid anything for that pre-order.

Incidentally if anyone knows where I can acquire a copy at a reasonable price...?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I ordered 3 from 3 different places in December(as in one order per shop to spread my chances) because i knew they'd be like gold dust......just got a confirmation today....

Your order from zavvi has been dispatched and will be with you shortly!

Quantity Title Estimated Delivery Time Price Each
1 Tales of The Abyss 2-3 days*

All i can say is it's a miracle because the other two orders have been looking distinctly iffy....

sadak5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
I ordered 3 from 3 different places in December(as in one order per shop to spread my chances) because i knew they'd be like gold dust......just got a confirmation today....

Your order from zavvi has been dispatched and will be with you shortly!

Quantity Title Estimated Delivery Time Price Each
1 Tales of The Abyss 2-3 days*

All i can say is it's a miracle because the other two orders have been looking distinctly iffy....

I know what you say, I did the same with MMZ Collection

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've always just ignored the game because I don't like turn-based games, and I really don't like JRPG's.

To be honest, I don't know anything about the game, so I'm not even 100% if it's both of those, lol.

Glad to see people are enjoying it. Just from the looks of it, I would hate it. Also, too many games and not enough time as it is.

Maybe I'll try it eventually.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've always just ignored the game because I don't like turn-based games, and I really don't like JRPG's.

To be honest, I don't know anything about the game, so I'm not even 100% if it's both of those, lol.

Glad to see people are enjoying it. Just from the looks of it, I would hate it. Also, too many games and not enough time as it is.

Maybe I'll try it eventually.
It's not turn-based. It's real time. Like, you walk around in the overworld and if you run into a monster (they're visible) you go into a battle. Then you can move around freely and attack in real time.

I guess it would be considered a JRPG, but it is really enjoyable. I've owned both versions, never regretted it for a second. (:

manni

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel bad since I have it and I really don't have the time to play it due to life and finishing up other games. But I do know this time around is a lot less painful than my first time with the ps2 version since Luke annoyed the crap out of me. Although...I will have to say 10 hrs in and the 3D isn't really necessary at all, it doesn't give the waaaa~ feeling.

RedJiggly

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've heard some revieuwers complain about the 3D feature, saying that:
-At some points it is WAAAY too strong, while at other points there is almost no 3D at all, and
-The cutscenes and many other things are not 3D at all.

But I would like to hear the opinions from you. Is the 3D good in this game? Or not? Is the game worth more money than the PS2 version?

ScarletCrystals

Useless Bunny of Paradise
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cutscenes are in pseudo-3d. (ie. the effect the when convert a 2d video to play on the 3ds)

The scenery is pretty good in 3d. No complaints about that.

When people are conversing, the speech bubbles are on the different layer than the rest of the screen. Some people have said that this is distracting, but I personally feel it makes the speech bubbles easier to read.

As for whether it's better than the PS2 version....I've never played the PS2 version but I've heard that the 3ds version is almost a direct port. So don't expect too much new content.

manni

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3D is okay in this game.
- Normal battles : Turning off the 3D and you won't miss anything. At the end of the battle all the 3D does is gives off a depth illusion while circling around.
- Boss battles : Same thing but I just turn it on because its the boss and sometimes the 3D can show something different.
- Field : Again depth there really isn't any difference in turning it on or off
- Dungeons : I like to turn it on cause sometimes it can be amazing
- Towns : I turn it on. I like the feel it gives compared to 2D but that's just me.
- Cutscenes : I see no difference really. But then again I may have missed something But then again I'm not that far in the game yet so I can't really say.
- Skits : No voice acting by the way and it can be skipped with select. (I'm Spoiled)

So overall to me, the 3D is okay at best it won't be like OoT or Mario since the game was built ground up for the 3D.
3D can be turned off to save battery power.

Is the game worth the money. Ehhhh.....not really but its portable so I can take it with me anywhere. I do wish that the multi-player was kept but I can see why it isn't.

Overall - A direct port. I definitely suggest nyco powergrip for long time game play with other games for 3D. Got it never looked back and it lasts almost 2 days without charging with wifi/3d max or half/brightness 4.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
3D in ToA is ridiculous to begin with. There's 0 need for it in every single instance, and it certainly wasn't built around 3D. I would have much rather they not wasted their time making it 3D compatible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol, that was fun to watch. +1