Weep for Canadian DSL service in Canada (it dies in March)

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well the CRTC may have just saved the world a good chunk from digital piracy, but they are killing off a lot of independent ISP providers to do so.

March 1st, everyone goes to a 25 gig monthly cap, just like shitty Bell Canada service.

Hurrah. You know, I use more than 25 gigs just uploading.

Last 3 months my usage averaged 200 gigs per month.

But I am with Teksavvy.com, a great company. So I have not needed to care about Bell and their brain dead 25 gigs.

Till now.

But 25 gigs, well that means I download more surgically now. NO sharing at all. Might have to forgo torrents totally including my anime. I can get that on a newsgroup, I just need to wait a couple of additional days.
Crunchyroll will no longer interest me. I won't be interested in streaming anything. That will include Netflix too.

Oh February is going to be a busy month for me. I plan to download ever *&$%# anime on the newsgroup and sort them out later. I won't be so able to get them later.

Blueray files
smile.gif
not likely.

I also won't be checking out games much any more. I won't be THAT curious. I won't be checking out films casually.

Worst case scenario, I ditch the internet, and do my browsing at the library or free hot spots.

This then becomes a limiter to my online digital downloads too. I'm not that needy of buying games online. I suppose Steam will stop being a topic that has relevance to me.

Not to sure my son will like the path that Bell Canada has forced on us through the CRTC, but they have just made Canada the worst piece of crap for internet service in the industrialized world. Might as well be 1995. And remember, I was there too.

There WILL be severe repercussions to this. Mass cancellations of services dependent on high performance high volume internet.

martin88

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My contract with Bell is about six or seven years old, before they introduced any bandwidth limits. Glad I didn't switch provider, otherwise my monthly usage (average 200GB per month) would probably means I'd have to pay a lot more.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
25GB
cry.gif

So why do all the isps have to have a 25GB monthly cap? Surely it's up to the isp to set packages and price, why is everyone getting stuck with the same cap? I had a quick search, but was mostly just people saying how crap the change is, not why it's happening.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The short story, Bell Canada owns the CRTC. Ok that's not true, but you would have little trouble selling the lie.

The CRTC says it happens, and it happens. Thus independent ISPs have no say.

I left Bell because frankly I got sick of Haboo being unable to speak Canadian.

It's not always about the price, some of us like service with the service.

If you are with Bell willingly, well you don't want to hear what I'd like to say.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How about a source or some sort?

Also, I doubt this will happen. I'm with Shaw (one of the greatest ISP's in Canada).

I get 60 gigs a month. And the only thing that they changed is, if you go over your limit constantly, like month after month after month after month, you have to pay either $1 or $2 per each gig you went over. You can go over the limit if its by mistake. Like, I think I went over this month, but we're not going to get charged. They look passed first time offenders if you have a good history.

They're bringing out a 3 strikes then you pay system. They're not going to downgrade our service :/

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ShadowSoldier said:

Also, I doubt this will happen. I'm with Shaw (one of the greatest ISP's in Canada).

I get 60 gigs a month. And the only thing that they changed is, if you go over your limit constantly, like month after month after month after month, you have to pay either $1 or $2 per each gig you went over. You can go over the limit if its by mistake. Like, I think I went over this month, but we're not going to get charged. They look passed first time offenders if you have a good history.

They're bringing out a 3 strikes then you pay system. They're not going to downgrade our service :/

Google dslreports.com

How you can call 60 gigs great escapes me. I am (until March 1st) getting 400 gigs a month. Still think 60 is awesome?

Thing is, cable is on board with supporting this asinine crap. Going to cable really isn't an option.

One choice a lot of people are considering is getting a business account. Thing is I am not as of tonight sure if that is an option. Looking into it though.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ron975 said:
Well, I use Acanac, Unlimited Bandwidth, but Slow speeds at times and Only available in ON and QC.
ah , same here , in my house , Acanac is the ISP here .
my dad told me about this limit . he told me he wasn't so sure about the limit , but i just read it now , 25GB per month .
that's pretty ridiculous . streaming videos, and reading manga online is considered DLing right ? and it contributes to the total download you've made in a month?

if so , that's just retarded . sometimes i go back to read things , or re-watch them [mainly tutorials or guides] . february will be a busy month for me . i am going to find as many tutorials as i can online to help me out for editing . ugh , i thought about it too , how about Steam ? if a huge sale comes by , and you really want to download your games before you get your limit restarted , then you'd have basically used all that 25GB up .

-sigh-

i hate you Bell .

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Very under amused here. This old dog has a lot of trouble as it is understanding the internet and all the jargon.

The more I read about the whole issue, the more angry I get.

I wanted to send a comment to Netflix, but they have no way at all for non members to send emails. I guess there is no way for people suddenly not about to select them to let them know of all the non sales that will result.

I read of people living in countries that have it worse, and I sympathize eh. But damn it, doesn't Bell want to be part of the world that IS cool?

I guess not. Damned retards.

There WILL be services that don't ostensibly require a lot of bandwidth themselves, but hey, if you only need a gig file, but the rest of your online activities have already claimed the 25, well it just doesn't matter eh. Steam will be hit like Netflix and any other business that relies on the assumption people have 21st century service.

25 gigs, that's just a pathetic level of service indeed.

I've long advocated MORE opportunities for buying online digital products. A movie is 5 gigs regardless of whether you stole it as a download or paid for the download.
Some products simply won't be welcome in a Bell Canada dominated market.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Panzer Tacticer said:
I've long advocated MORE opportunities for buying online digital products. A movie is 5 gigs regardless of whether you stole it as a download or paid for the download.
Some ? more like most ; the world's trying to move forward using digital downloads over having the physical copy .
concerning mostly those who buy products online and just download them . movies, games, streaming content, lots have been uploaded and were made to be downloaded . still, some games are sold at stores whereas many just choose to buy online .

bell's just being ridiculous with the decision they chose there . i can see many users to not be satisfied and i am expecting bell to revise their choice of 25GB to the least .

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
ShadowSoldier said:

This. I haven't heard any news about this at all. Something with this big of an impact should be all over the place in the local and national news.

QUOTE(Panzer Tacticer @ Jan 30 2011, 09:02 PM) I've long advocated MORE opportunities for buying online digital products. A movie is 5 gigs regardless of whether you stole it as a download or paid for the download.
Bell hardly has any form of domination here in Vancouver as far as I'm concerned. Not sure about the East. It's all about Rogers (and Fido), or Telus here on the west coast for cell phones. For Internet and home phone, it's either Shaw, Rogers, or Telus.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Splych said:
there are a lot of sources online , even do a quick search for UBB Canada and you'll find results .
http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2010/05...g-internet.html
although that one is old , it well informs people about what is suppose to happen .
Seeing how Bell themselves are a bad company, I'm honestly not surprised by this then. They overcharge their customers on anything and everything, and the reasoning behind this is just as ridiculous. I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope that Shaw doesn't get tied into this as well.

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't use DSL, I use cable. If I did, I would choose TekSavvy as well. I'm currently on Rogers. I would make the switch to TekSavvy instantly but I have a huge discount going on for Rogers (internet, phone, tv, and wireless) and they also offered me some other stuff, which in the end, outweighs in advantages compared to TekSavvy.

Too bad Bell controls the DSL lines. :\

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA-vTRfE_x0