Web Design

Discussion in 'Computer Programming, Emulation, and Game Modding' started by Icarus, Jan 2, 2008.

Jan 2, 2008

Web Design by Icarus at 8:35 PM (844 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Icarus
    OP

Member Icarus fire walk with me

United States
    Hey guys. So lately I've been interested in the web designing and I want to create my own website. But the problem is, I have absolutely no knowledge about web designing. Where do you think I should start? Everyone says HTML is a good way to start with. But do you have any good source for the beginners like me ? Thanks for the help [​IMG]

2. greyhound

Member greyhound GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
  3. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    I recommend getting a software like FrontPage or DreamWeaver and play with them a little.. try to make a simple site, learn how to work with tables, positioning images and CSS.. you can find some good resources on the internet.. www.w3schools.com is a good start [​IMG]

4. Skye07

Member Skye07 GBAtemp Fan

Belgium
    Frontpage isn't exactly the way to create professional looking pages, like the others said w3schools is probably the best to get you started. Try learning some HTML and CSS, with those two you'll be able to do quite alot already.

5. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    Do NOT go the WYSIWYG (editors like NVU, Publisher and FrontPage) route unless you want your site to only work in one browser, load slowly and occasionally stop working for no apparent reason.

Just start with a very simple page. I recommend first starting with basic formatting (bold, italic, underline etc) then moving onto background colours, tables and so on.

It's very easy once you get the hang of it.

6. Icarus
    OP

United States
    Thanks for all the advices. But here's one weird question. How long do you think it would take me to make an imageboard site ? Like 4chan for instance? It is actually HTML based but it doesn't look so simple =/

7. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    I also am interested in Web Design...but HTML isn't cutting it for me (too simple, copy and paste tags is lame).

But, when I complete an HTML - I don't know how to "get it on the internet."
    I was told to get it published...Googled that and still have no idea where I'm suppose to publish it.

Thanks for help (shouldn't be hard, as most of you ain't n00bs like me) [​IMG]

8. Icarus
    OP

United States
    You need hosting and a domain. You're gonna upload the HTML files on your hosting and publish it on your domain. That's basically how it works.