Hacking WBFS Manager that can resize WBFS partition.

comet77

Trophies
Website
www.megaupload.com
XP
Country
Canada
joshed said:
Does one exist? I need a WBFS manager that could re-size my WBFS partition, increasing or decreasing it's size.

This would be a great thing to have. I am right now backing up all the games on the HDD and then I will be re-partitioning the HDD. Then all I need to do is put all the games back on the HDD.
wacko.gif

psiguy

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
wiiNinja said:
Have you tried this? I personally don't think that WBFS is supported (or ever will be supported) by Partition Magic.

Partition magic sees the partition and says it's unformatted, also it will let me resize but thinking of the data part better I doubt it will retain the data.

IlluminiX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
comet77 said:
joshed said:
Does one exist? I need a WBFS manager that could re-size my WBFS partition, increasing or decreasing it's size.

This would be a great thing to have. I am right now backing up all the games on the HDD and then I will be re-partitioning the HDD. Then all I need to do is put all the games back on the HDD.
wacko.gif

Doing the same EXACT thing as we speak (26/45 backed up so far - then 4 hours to put them back on the repartitioned drive!). I tried to re-size my WBFS drive with Partition Magic 8.0 a few formats ago, and sure enough, it screwed everything up, and I had to start over! Hence, why I am backing everything up now! I cannot say for sure that it won't definitely work for you, but PM8 froze for over an hour, and I eventually gave up and closed it, and obviously the data didn't survive. Would be nice if someone could make a WBFS Partition program since we already have programs that can read and format such drives, but for now to repartition, you have to do it the hard way!

shadowtroop

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please, I beg of you, forgive me for bumping this. But seriously, a resizer would be nice. We have enough programs for read/write, but apparently, we need "Simpler" Managers. WBFS 3.0 is enough please.

nano351

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It could be resized if someone made a program to do so. It doesn't matter where the data is in the partition all the manager has to do is just move it to the area that's not going to get removed.

supagusti

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I've tested resizing a few months ago:

PQMagic doesn't recognize a valid partition -> resizing is not possible

Acronis Disk Director Suite:
knows the partition (not as WBFS, but as one with data).
Tested first with a small partition with data on it and a 100GB HDD. My intend was to create a FAT32 in front of the WBFS partition.

My starting position was:
[--------------WBFS---------------]

1. Shrinked the WBFS
[------------WBFS---------][FREE]

2. Moved WBFS to the end of the HDD

[FREE][------------WBFS---------]

3. Created FAT32 in front of the WBFS
[-FAT32-][---------WBFS---------]

After this i tried to start every game on the wbfs partition with gx and it finally worked.
Now I tried this procedure with my 1TB HDD (with over 200 ISOs)
The procedure finally ended with no errors, but not one of the ISOs would start in GX nor the partition is recognized as WBFS with any WBFS Manager (or within GX).

So the final output is: you can try it, but be sure to have a backup of your data, because it can be destroyed during the process.
lecture.gif

GOOD LUCK !

toejam316

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
beegee7730 said:
WBFS is a static drive and can't be resized.
It could be resized, but the effort needed would still be far too much.
WBFS uses cluster sizes relating to the total partition size. What this means is if you were to resize it, you'd need to increase the size of each cluster. To do that, you'd have to do something silly like make clusters in the free space, then start data juggling. That's not good for your drive, it's slow, and it's really not worth it.
Just back your games up off your drive, format and repartition it, then reload the games.

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The beta driver that may have possibly helped in the future has had no development recently. I think that either that or an application specifically designed to format WFBS is needed.

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Nope none of the Partition Tools will work properly except you move the whole wbfs partition (like it was already mentioned) otherwise you will just "cut" of important data and games will not start or the table at the end of a wbfs partition will be damaged.

Skizzo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Servdogg said:
Easeus Partition Master can do this. It's free too.
Honestly, what prompted you to write this?
rolleyes.gif

Have you used this app to successfully resize a WBFS partition? I'm seriously fucking doubting it. FFS man... Those in the know have recently commented that this would be a very difficult task and not worth the effort.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: