Hacking Warning when updating emunand

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
seems 2 users have had their 3ds "semi-bricked" by updating sysnand whilst in gateway mode on 2.4b, despite this being mistakes on both users parts, i think we can agree that it seems there is a issue there, so word of warning just make 100% sure you have emunand set up and follow the guides to the letter......as if you enter gateway mode while on sysnand and run a update your console will likely end up with the good old black screen of death(not to be confused with the brick code blue screen of death)

im thinking there must be some sort of bug here as the worst that should happen is sysnand would be updated

im pretty sure this will this can be fixed by just re-flashing a nand backup via a hardmod....but again make 100% sure you have a nand backup and make 100% sure you have picked format emunand before running a system update on 2.4b

Just to clarify as long as you see GW3D#.# and not Ver.#.# in system setting you should be fine it only appears to happen to people who haven't set emunand up and where already well on their way to a updated system nand anyway

im kinda guessing gateway might actually be apply some sort of patch or something to the nand as its updated, (which is why its not booting when applied to the sysnand) but works in emunand....this is the most logical explanation to me

masterzero

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know what the other one did .... but the one I read updated the console on gateway mode without emunand lol.... might be a bug but it's their fault for not using emunand on the first place

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
yeah both users updated while not having emunand set up......probably a bug of some sort, hasnt happened to anyone who has emunand set up properly but figured its best to warn people so they make sure they have nand backups and follow the guides properly and set up emunand before updating

Heien

Trophies
XP
Country
Are you sure those people were aware of quiting setting returning back to sysnand..etc. because as a newbie about emunand i updated my emunand in 15 mins and update proccess took 14mins.. read tutorials carefully people!

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Are you sure those people were aware of quiting setting returning back to sysnand..etc. because as a newbie about emunand i updated my emunand in 15 mins and update proccess took 14mins.. read tutorials carefully people!
yeah the issue here is that it actually makes the console unbootable.....not just updated

timmeehh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So, I might be a noob here.

I got into emunand lately. Two weeks ago I created and updated my emunand for the first time. I got it from 4.5 to 8.x (I don't know anymore.).

Right now, I would like to update my emunand to 9.0.

I see different things, is there any tutorial I should follow, or things I should or shouldn't do?

Thanks,
Tim

terawyvenx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's so simple. Boot in gateway by system settings, then go to system settings again, if the GW firmware shows at the bottom corner then that's your cue to UPDATE the emunand.

Don't forget to copy over the launcher.dat before the update

Geez even before I owned a GW, I had to watch countless videos to not screw shit.

timmeehh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's so simple. Boot in gateway by system settings, then go to system settings again, if the GW firmware shows at the bottom corner then that's your cue to the emunand. Geez even before I owned a GW, I had to watch countless videos to not screw shit.

I understand that. But from Emunand 8.1 and Gateway Omega 2.3b can I just update 2.3b to 2.4 and then boot Gateway mode -> update trough system settings to emunand 9? or what?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
1. put new launcher.dat on SD
2 boot into emunand
3. go to system settings and make sure it says GW3D on the system version(if it says ver.#.# that means you do not have emunand set up....go read the guides again)
4. go directly to the system update page do not exit system settings...just straight to update and run the update

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand that. But from Emunand 8.1 and Gateway Omega 2.3b can I just update 2.3b to 2.4 and then boot Gateway mode -> update trough system settings to emunand 9? or what?

Yep. Update your launcher, then update your emunand. Or update your emunand, then update your launcher.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up