Warning when updating emunand

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by gamesquest1, Oct 17, 2014.

1. gamesquest1
    OP

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    seems 2 users have had their 3ds "semi-bricked" by updating sysnand whilst in gateway mode on 2.4b, despite this being mistakes on both users parts, i think we can agree that it seems there is a issue there, so word of warning just make 100% sure you have emunand set up and follow the guides to the letter......as if you enter gateway mode while on sysnand and run a update your console will likely end up with the good old black screen of death(not to be confused with the brick code blue screen of death)

im thinking there must be some sort of bug here as the worst that should happen is sysnand would be updated

im pretty sure this will this can be fixed by just re-flashing a nand backup via a hardmod....but again make 100% sure you have a nand backup and make 100% sure you have picked format emunand before running a system update on 2.4b

Just to clarify as long as you see GW3D#.# and not Ver.#.# in system setting you should be fine it only appears to happen to people who haven't set emunand up and where already well on their way to a updated system nand anyway

im kinda guessing gateway might actually be apply some sort of patch or something to the nand as its updated, (which is why its not booting when applied to the sysnand) but works in emunand....this is the most logical explanation to me

2. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States
    GUYS THE BRICKING CODE IS BACK!! AHHHH!!

3. masterzero

masterzero GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 20, 2007
    I don't know what the other one did .... but the one I read updated the console on gateway mode without emunand lol.... might be a bug but it's their fault for not using emunand on the first place

4. Abcdfv

Abcdfv What comes around goes around.

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Really it never left. Though people updating their sysnand seems to happen every time gateway gets compatibility again.

Huntereb likes this.
  5. gamesquest1
    OP

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    yeah both users updated while not having emunand set up......probably a bug of some sort, hasnt happened to anyone who has emunand set up properly but figured its best to warn people so they make sure they have nand backups and follow the guides properly and set up emunand before updating

6. hundshamer

hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
    I get an influx of people needing their NANDs restored every time Nintendo updates the 3DS.

Snailface likes this.
  7. Heien

Heien GBAtemp Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Are you sure those people were aware of quiting setting returning back to sysnand..etc. because as a newbie about emunand i updated my emunand in 15 mins and update proccess took 14mins.. read tutorials carefully people!

8. gamesquest1
    OP

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    yeah the issue here is that it actually makes the console unbootable.....not just updated

9. phanteon

phanteon GBAtemp Fan

Nov 4, 2013
    United States

you mean updating on classic mode?

10. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States

Updating on Classic Mode without Emunand set up, yes.

11. gamesquest1
    OP

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    no as in never setting emunand up but booting into plain old gateway mode on sysnand

12. Heien

Heien GBAtemp Regular

Nov 13, 2013

This sounds pretty serious.. like gw rushing a fw w/o testing enough.. although this is what piracy deserves it sucks..

13. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States

Yeah, I've noticed a few bugs with switching roms on the menu, too. Sometimes it ends up locking the whole mechanism up until I take the cartridge out. Methinks you're right.

14. timmeehh

timmeehh Member

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    So, I might be a noob here.

I got into emunand lately. Two weeks ago I created and updated my emunand for the first time. I got it from 4.5 to 8.x (I don't know anymore.).

Right now, I would like to update my emunand to 9.0.

I see different things, is there any tutorial I should follow, or things I should or shouldn't do?

Thanks,
    Tim

15. phanteon

phanteon GBAtemp Fan

Nov 4, 2013
    United States
    let me make a Q&A on this bricking cases.

Q: Why did my console brick?
    A: Because you didn't read how to use gateway

Q: What can i do now?
    A: 1) Learn to read.
    2) Cry.

Nightwish, morvoran, Woodbin and 3 others like this.
  16. terawyvenx

terawyvenx Member

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2011
    It's so simple. Boot in gateway by system settings, then go to system settings again, if the GW firmware shows at the bottom corner then that's your cue to UPDATE the emunand.

Don't forget to copy over the launcher.dat before the update

Geez even before I owned a GW, I had to watch countless videos to not screw shit.

17. timmeehh

timmeehh Member

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2013
    Netherlands

I understand that. But from Emunand 8.1 and Gateway Omega 2.3b can I just update 2.3b to 2.4 and then boot Gateway mode -> update trough system settings to emunand 9? or what?

18. gamesquest1
    OP

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    1. put new launcher.dat on SD
    2 boot into emunand
    3. go to system settings and make sure it says GW3D on the system version(if it says ver.#.# that means you do not have emunand set up....go read the guides again)
    4. go directly to the system update page do not exit system settings...just straight to update and run the update

19. Abcdfv

Abcdfv What comes around goes around.

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Yep. Update your launcher, then update your emunand. Or update your emunand, then update your launcher.

20. terawyvenx

terawyvenx Member

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2011
    Nah you have copy the launcher.dat of GW 2.4b to SD card 1st and then boot into gateway and do the update