Hacking WARNING - Gateway team bricks card ON PURPOSE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathieulh

Trophies
Website
keybase.io
XP
Country
France
What if the code in memory (as opposed to the launcher on the SD card) got corrupted somehow? What's the chance of that?

Past the initial checksum, none unless there is some piece of code loaded later on that overwrites it. (it can't just be a userland application such as a game since everything happens on the ARM9 cpu)

Reactions: deoFusion

kingsora831

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What if the code in memory (as opposed to the launcher on the SD card) got corrupted somehow? What's the chance of that?

I wouldnt know myself. but im assuming that is very unlikely to happen unless you are intentionally writing code into the memory which would cause the data their to become corrupted.
Basically just stay far away from clones, and modifying your Launcher and if you have been using a GW fine up to this point continue using it the way you have been.

EDIT-
Looks like Mathieulh beat me to it lol.

Thinking about it, its the same as asking what are the chances that the memory gets corrupted on a legit console or any console.
The chances are very slim to none, unless you are intentionally writing to the memory.
So the actual data saved in the memory should be fine unless you are overwriting it with data that can cause it to corrupt.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
from what i have read this is how rumors work on gbatemp
ABOSOLUTE FACT----->PRETTY MUCH TRUE (except that little bit we said was part of the fact...thats not but everything else is tru)--------->WELL THIS PART IS ATLEAST TRUE......DEFINATLY....-----------------> ok well its possible its not true.....but it probably is------------------->oh it turns out it was false

give it a few days to work its way backwards from the usual order

The code and everything in it seems to be true, however people think that it'll happen to even some legit gateway users (as in those who take the launchers from their site). Thing is, we need to see if it'll happen to legit GW users. So far, I have not seen any case at all.

randomxiii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So basically, Normatt mod is safe from bricking, and GW original launcher is safe from bricking in case of SD card corruption as well. The only one affected by the bricking debacle is clone users.

I remember back when GW users cried foul when the clones used the GW launcher with no innovation, all the clone users just gleefully said "there's no honor among thieves". Well they're right, there's no honor among thieves, so why try to play the ethics card when GW modified their own IP to brick consoles used with the cloned launcher?

Hope your $20 saved was worth it.

Not saying GW is in the right, but this is the black market. If you're burnt, too bad, so sad.

Reactions: renes2

minexew

ayy lmao
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah. But there's still the chances of runtime issues that could happen randomly or even simply by accidentally tapping the handheld against an object. That could cause the contacts to disconnect, and for things that could read/write to the system NAND, that could be fatal. Kind of like dropping your laptop on accident while it's on and the hard drive is spinning. The hard drive will get damaged enough that practically everything you have on it gets destroyed and you have to get a new drive and install a new system.

That shouldn't be the case, unless their code is buggy (which it no doubt is, but probably not in a way that's bad enough)
They seem to verify ALL the code *after* loading from the unreliable medium (e.g. SD card) - this check was circumvented by 3dsLink, r4 and neimmott
after that, the same code is run and once you exit system settings, they check most(?) of this code again and decide whether you deserve to live or die.
So any corruption would have to occur between those two, while their ARM9 code is in RAM

D

Deleted User

The ROP chain has a sanity check that prevents corrupted Launcher.dat file from running the ARM9 payload, and the ARM9 payload is checked as part of the sanity check (so this prevents memory corruption from running the ARM9 payload).

So even with corrupted SD card, the launcher will just hang the 3DS. And when you reboot it is fine.

You can test it yourself. Take the official 2.0b2 launcher.dat file, and modify 1 byte. The 3DS will hang, and when you reboot all is fine. The ARM9 payload is blocked off from executing so no chance for brick.

I have tried and modify random different bytes and rebooted 30 times.
Result: My 3DS is not bricked :yaysp:

Normmatt's patches are specially crafted, because it neutralize the sanity check, and so it will get to run ARM9 payload which (supposedly) bricks (not confirmed myself).

juins

Trophies
XP
Country

THIS. With my 3dslink, i only carry the 3ds card and my supercard, and instead of using 3dslink installer, i use gw's nds file with my supercard. On clones's websites, installer files have been recently updated. I too, believe maybe the problems lies in here.

Keylogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Can you please give a detailed information how this brick' occured so other owners dont get it?

Well, just booted into region free emunand (didn't press L when loading profile) and start playing my retail pokemon X game on emunand 7.1
After playing, I opened the Settings app (of the emunand) and I press X to quit.
Then BSOD. It didn't quit the settings app and go back to 4.5 NAND: bricked after pressing X in settings.

I precise that I have no GW clone.
So I never used any clone firmware.
Only official GW's firmware and the region free patched FW
Region free patched launcher is not safe

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So basically, Normatt mod is safe from bricking, and GW original launcher is safe from bricking in case of SD card corruption as well. The only one affected by the bricking debacle is clone users.

I remember back when GW users cried foul when the clones used the GW launcher with no innovation, all the clone users just gleefully said "there's no honor among thieves". Well they're right, there's no honor among thieves, so why try to play the ethics card when GW modified their own IP to brick consoles used with the cloned launcher?

Hope your $20 saved was worth it.

Not saying GW is in the right, but this is the black market. If you're burnt, too bad, so sad.
Normatt's mod is not safe.
Can you please give a detailed information how this brick' occured so other owners dont get it?
He used the Region Free mod by Normatt, but because of the way this bricking mechanism works, that patch has the same chances of bricking a 3DS as using a clone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S22+,Google-Pixel-8a/phones/11762,12219...