Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Now I know a little Russian, being the fact that my language's modern vocabulary is completely Russian. (Samaliot for airplane and Televizor for TV and such) I'm from Uzbekistan and one day I go back to my country I must learn Russian in order to be successful in buisness and such. However, I am almost at zero right now, I have zero Russian grammar and very little vocabulary. I was wondering what is the best way to learn for a beginner in a non-Russian speaking environment. I am tired of those "learn another language in 24 hours while reading this everyday for 12 minutes while driving back from work" books. I need something that is actually useful, and I do not need 100% pronunciation, I just want to be able to communicate well. My language is written in Cyrillic, so the writing system is not a big problem. Thanks.

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rosetta Stone, you can get it with Russian at the usual places. Search for 26-in-1. (You will have toregister at a site, if you 'love torrents')

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Cyrillic alphabet was my least favourite part (mainly because I did a fair few of the languages the characters/symbols came from earlier in life) so it looks like you have a leg up there.

You appear to elude to a speaking scenario being best and quite frankly it probably is.

Next to this for me is immersion: read russian books/websites (should not be too hard to find something of interest for people who frequent this sort of site), watch (R5's come out before everything other than screeners and a quick look around subtitle sites is equally interesting) DVDs/video with either russian subs or the dub if you like (I often grab fansub stuff).

Grammar: I do not know Uzbek whatsoever (I assume it is Uzbek rather than Tajik that you speak) so I can not offer to compare there (which in my eyes puts any advice I can give at a huge disadvantage as everyone I have ever learned a language with draws on the others they know at some point even if language is a "conceptual" thing to them) but the big difference between English and Russian is the gender of words concept. It plays a big role in French and a lot of Euro languages (roman and non roman) but I would argue it is even bigger in Russian (if only because of the gender neutral/neuter stuff). The general lack of non obvious "irregular" words ignoring transplanted words is quite nice however *has flashback to high school French*. a/the do not exist but that is nothing special and my favourite is the aspect part of verbs (eating the meal vs ate the meal in English) but done "in verb".

Speaking: as noted the cyrillic alphabet developed quite late on in human history so speaking is of far more importance than some other languages: you can ham up English and most Euro languages and people can generally adapt but mess up pronounciation in Russian and it is that much more serious (which in business is less than ideal). Alas I do not get the chance to speak it very often so I would get someone else to comment more on this.

Bookwise it seems usenet has come up for me

A basic russian grammar by Eugenia Nekrasova ISBN: 5-85550-119-1 was quite helpful (her other books are also quite good but I have not spent too much time reading them compared to this). It seems to hit the right line between boring list of rules and school textbook (i.e. something relevant as in the book but not overly condescending (my French teacher trying to teach us about slavery is a memory I would rather not have))

Do yourself a favour though and when you practice the cyrillic alphabet use the modern one (spent quite some time memorising http://www.omniglot.com/writing/cyrillic.htm ).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...