Wall Street Journal reports Nintendo will focus on peripherals for Switch, not hardware revisions

gggg.jpg

According to the Wall Street Journal, Nintendo won't be looking towards hardware revisions for the Switch, at least for a while. Sources close to the company state that Nintendo will instead opt to focus on making peripherals to draw in sales. The Switch is on track to have sold 17 million units by the end of March, a year after the console's launch. This report comes a month before the release of a peripheral for the Switch; the Nintendo Labo, which Nintendo plans for it to cater to a market that might not normally buy a Nintendo Switch. Additionally, the Wall Street Journal report claims that new peripherals that use the Switch's USB-C port are in the works, as well as new network features. In regards to a hardware revision of the Switch, the source says that this is unlikely, as Nintendo will be focusing on streamlining current manufacturing for the system.

:arrow: Source

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah, the WSJ is thrustworthy, we all know it makes good fuel for a grill.
That said, yeah "third pillar" Nintendo will sure deny a hw revision, even minutes before the direct where they present it goes live.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

does it support bluetooth audio output yet ? it did not at launch, and I doubt it can be added by software upgrades...
Would be a nice addition. I bought myself a good bluetooth headset so it would be a shame if I had to go back to silly ear plugs.
But I guess if they aren't doing hardware upgrades, we aren't going to see this happen anytime soon :(
I've been suffering the lack of bluetooth audio since release, and though I wouldn't mind paying for an add-on if it is comfortable and almost invisible when using the console on the go, I don't see why wouldn't it be possible to implement BT audio support in software.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
does it support bluetooth audio output yet ? it did not at launch, and I doubt it can be added by software upgrades...
Would be a nice addition. I bought myself a good bluetooth headset so it would be a shame if I had to go back to silly ear plugs.
But I guess if they aren't doing hardware upgrades, we aren't going to see this happen anytime soon :(
Wireless headsets work when connected via USB to the dock, but official Bluetooth support still isn't a thing AFAIK. Seeing a hardware upgrade only within the first 2 years of the Switch wasn't going to be likely from the get-go either.

WSJ is really hit or miss with its stuff, but it's still amusing to see such a report, because knowing Nintendo, they could always just go all-in on add-ons that hardcores are going to find laughable, and it wouldn't be the first time.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Yeah, the WSJ is thrustowothy, we all know it makes good fuel for a grill.
That said, yeah "third pillar" Nintendo will sure deny a hw revision, even minutes before the direct where they present it goes live.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I've been suffering the lack of bluetooth audio since release, and though I wouldn't mind paying for an add-on if it is comfortable and almost invisible when using the console on the go, I don't see why wouldn't it be possible to implement BT audio support in software.

the existing bluetooth is already used by something else (joycons? or what was it again), maybe using bluetooth for audio would require another / different chip?

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
the existing bluetooth is already used by something else (joycons? or what was it again), maybe using bluetooth for audio would require another / different chip?
Perhaps, I mean, probably you're right, but I can simultaneously use the BT on my smartphone for my headphones and a BT gamepad, and IMHO the Switch hardware looks pretty much like a very beefed up smartphone.

PS: And AFAIK my smartphone has only one BT chip.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

atleast the vita has 3g and bluetooth
also with homebrew you can use the memory card + 2 micro sdcards and use it as a usb device while charging
ninty needs to get on the vitas level and learn from vita devs
a secondary sdcard in the game slot would be nice
also
I just had a brilliant idea
a c64 style ram extension

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So in other words, more Labo and more gimmicky addons a la Wii that few games will use that just end up being a waste of money.
Not that the Switch needs a hardware revision. It's powerful enough, and they couldn't make it smaller without compromising its unique features. And it sure as hell doesn't need to be any bigger.
For the record, i still have that one, and when it came out, indeed was like, SPEAKERS ON MY GAMEBOY??
Well, it already has a speaker built in :P
I had a speaker addon for my GBC that was slightly less ridiculous, it just extended the bottom, but the sound it produced was far louder and slightly better than the built in speaker (although I don't think it was stereo), so it made games more enjoyable without headphones.
I never really saw the point in those magnifying glass addons. I bought one for my GBA that had a light. The light caused awful glare and the magnifying glass was just awkward to use because you had to look at it from exactly the right angle or the screen wouldn't be centered. Also it seemed to make the glare even worse as you now have two layers of glass with glare on them instead of just one.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I can't believe anyone expected any different. Switch is the most powerful portable ever released. I don't think Nintendo's sitting on a mountain of vibranium which they can use to instantly improve existing technology. It's gonna be at least a few years until Nvidia reveals Tegra X2.

Kigiru

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That's... probably a good thing for homebrew scene? If somebody will find someday a hardware flaw allowing to hack console, there's a chance that Nintendo will not release hardware revision to patch it up.

Tho on the other hand, lack of revisions can end with Sega CD32x-like montrousity... and it will be bad.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Tho on the other hand, lack of revisions can end with Sega CD32x-like montrousity... and it will be bad.
I'm not sure what you're talking about. Every Nintendo console goes without major revisions, only their portables don't. Switch is considered a console because its internal real estate is full, unlike 3DS which was already weak at the time of its release.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: See ya see ya later later