Wall Street Journal reports Nintendo will focus on peripherals for Switch, not hardware revisions

gggg.jpg

According to the Wall Street Journal, Nintendo won't be looking towards hardware revisions for the Switch, at least for a while. Sources close to the company state that Nintendo will instead opt to focus on making peripherals to draw in sales. The Switch is on track to have sold 17 million units by the end of March, a year after the console's launch. This report comes a month before the release of a peripheral for the Switch; the Nintendo Labo, which Nintendo plans for it to cater to a market that might not normally buy a Nintendo Switch. Additionally, the Wall Street Journal report claims that new peripherals that use the Switch's USB-C port are in the works, as well as new network features. In regards to a hardware revision of the Switch, the source says that this is unlikely, as Nintendo will be focusing on streamlining current manufacturing for the system.

:arrow: Source

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Last time I remember Nintendo claimed they weren't working on a new revision of the 3DS, they released one a month later...
they just keep it secret to end users but always work on new hardware revisions.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Switch is already compatible with the Gamecube controller, assuming you have the dongle from the Wii U, I believe.

Yeah, there is a GC controller adapter from Wii U here, but that's not an acceptable portable arrangement. If playing GCN VC on Switch requires hooking up an adapter dongle and using a GC controller with the game on the TV, I might as well use Nintendont on the Wii, or just play on my actual Gamecube (not that there's anything wrong with that). Those are actual native playback options, and I would consider that superior to emulated VC. The portability is the selling point for Switch VC.

Last edited by Hanafuda,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It would be in line with some of the pre release patents we saw.

That said have peripherals ever actually made for better sales outside of maybe guitar hero/rock band?

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Rephrasing then.
Have peripherals outside of maybe the N64 expansion pack really ever been used properly by third parties and not just made for an effectively even smaller install base?

Ok well that's a totally different question and it's not important to Nintendo what other developers do with their peripherals, so long as they're achieving their primary aim of selling consoles to people who wouldn't normally buy them.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, there is a GC controller adapter from Wii U here, but that's not an acceptable portable arrangement. If playing GCN VC on Switch requires hooking up an adapter dongle and using a GC controller with the game on the TV, I might as well use Nintendont on the Wii, or just play on my actual Gamecube (not that there's anything wrong with that). Those are actual native playback options, and I would consider that superior to emulated VC. The portability is the selling point for Switch VC.
People don't care about dongles "ruining" portabilty. Look at Apple laptops: only two usb slots.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
People don't care about dongles "ruining" portabilty. Look at Apple laptops: only two usb slots.
the switch already supports game cube controllers but yeah i only think it does because i thinks its a usb controller any Nintendo controller that sends inputs though usb will work on it.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the switch already supports game cube controllers but yeah i only think it does because i thinks its a usb controller any Nintendo controller that sends inputs though usb will work on it.
The Wii U adapter requires a specific initialization code for it to start sending inputs, so Nintendo specifically coded it in

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0