Hacking Waiting for a stable Swiss release, or buying a Wode ?

QueenKong

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'd like to play at NGC games from a HDD. What is the best thing to do ? Thx !
yaywii.gif

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hard to say. There are quite some differences between the two, so I'd say it is a matter of preference. Lemme see (this is from memory, so someone correct me if I'm wrong):

WODE:
+ plays most or all games
+ loads from USB
- costs more (about 80 bucks?)
- requires opening your wii

SWISS:
+ cheaper (especially if you buy an sd-gecko)
+ not needed to open your wii (just plug it in the correct slot)
- no USB (either SD or IDE)
- game compatability isn't perfect (yet?) (note: this is kinda hard to say...the compatability list is rather blank)

There are more quality-aspects about both (user friendliness comes to mind), but I can't compare those without having actually tried either. But all in all, I'd say both are very valid products.
smile.gif

It has to be noted that a comparison is also quite unfair at this point, as swiss is still very new. Updates are coming out on a very regular basis, and rumors have it that its future might be even better (heard about an USB-gecko or even the front SD slot possibly becoming available).

Personally...I'm still waiting for that sd-gecko to arrive by mail, so my preference is clear. It's partially because of the cost, but also because I like seeing a program comes together. Knowing myself, I probably get tired of at least half the games as soon as I find out they actually work perfectly.
blush.gif

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Right now Wode is far better, but costs more and requires to open the Wii as stated already. Audio streaming is nothing you should hope for with both, although it should be technically possible with a Wode, but they failed when they made it...

Hells Guardian said:
I really hope that a solution to allow loading a game over USB Gecko is found.

There will be, but it will be as slow as SD Gecko loading and require a connected PC.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in addition to wever's list

WODE
supports multiple filesystems, partitions, and HDDs.
doesnt require, but has supporting homebrew such as wodeflow
had a SD card slot, so it doesnt not require HDD as wever said
supports USB->sata or USB ->IDE adapters so pretty much any HDD will work

SWISS
only IDE, no SATA. whats the biggest IDE HDD youve ever seen?
only FAT/FAT32 ( correct me if im wrong )

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Once there's fragmentation support in Swiss, NTFS support the same way as it's done in the USB loaders might be doable.

QueenKong

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
What is really this audio streaming problem that you're always speaking of ? What games in particular does it concern ?Is it really annoying, can't we patch the games or something, by extracting their soundtrack and reinjecting it elsewhere in the iso ?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
QueenKong said:
What is really this audio streaming problem that you're always speaking of ? What games in particular does it concern ?Is it really annoying, can't we patch the games or something, by extracting their soundtrack and reinjecting it elsewhere in the iso ?

Look in the compatiblity list, all games that mention missing audio, or say "doesn't work shrunk" or "doesn't work on multi game disc". Extracting and playing at a PC should work, as Dolphin is able to play them. Injecting them into the games to the games play them manually instead of letting the drive do it sounds interesting, but i doubt it will work. (

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
giantpune said:
SWISS
only IDE, no SATA. whats the biggest IDE HDD youve ever seen?
only FAT/FAT32 ( correct me if im wrong )

SATA HDDs will work with a SATA-IDE-Adapter.
There will be NTFS support in the future for sure.
Also, audio-streaming might be doable with Swiss and the IDE-EXI as emu_kidid mentioned it somewhere at his site if I recall correct. I just cant find the link where he mentioned it anymore
smileipb2.png

Anyways, I think Swiss has a bright future.

iancer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have no where else to air this idea though.
if we could somehow get a version of SWISS that supported comand line arguments for autobooting of a specified file, we could create 'iso forwarders' for GC games ina similar fashion as for wiiware with 'WAD2ISO'. that would be GREAT! being able to select a GC game from a loader right next to the other titles. is there any way of 'passing' this idea to emu_kidd?? im sure someone could whip up a version of swiss booter for us wii users that could pass the game launching arguments to the swiss dol, correct? this would be a great step forward!

farcry15

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iancer said:
i have no where else to air this idea though.
if we could somehow get a version of SWISS that supported comand line arguments for autobooting of a specified file, we could create 'iso forwarders' for GC games ina similar fashion as for wiiware with 'WAD2ISO'. that would be GREAT! being able to select a GC game from a loader right next to the other titles. is there any way of 'passing' this idea to emu_kidd?? im sure someone could whip up a version of swiss booter for us wii users that could pass the game launching arguments to the swiss dol, correct? this would be a great step forward!
please stop posting this in every swiss related thread you can either ask on emu_kidid's site or make an issue about it on the google code page. either way, i wouldn't hold my breath. swiss is still at a very early stage, and development should be focusing on better compatibility, additional features such as this may be considered when swiss reaches a more stable version.

QueenKong

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So whatever emu_kidd can do with Swiss, the streaming problem can't be solved, right ? Damn. I hoped this problem could at least be softwarly solved...

QueenKong

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sorry, I hadn't read you post. So it seems a few hopes remain ! Damn, I just can't wait, Swiss is potentially the Wode-killer !

naxil

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have buy a sdgecko very cheap really 5sterlin.
but i have just run Animal Crossing (perfect n run quickly).
Zelda windwaker stop to 100% after APPLOADER start.
I have see a not good sound of DVD drive of wii.. most of STACK! STACK! sound i have hear.. IS RIGHT?
I have used Swissbooter v3 and swiss latest.
For DVD i have used SPORT/resort (double game on original disc BUNDLE).
Emukid_id say swiss is for GC and isn't write for the wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oh man don't get the snowflakes worked up