Hacking WAIN Card Dumper NX

sirelf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Used the dumping tool for Xenoblade 2 no problem then the XCI Exployer to trim the file size again no issue. Then I have made three attempts to dump Zelda Botw and three times the program was a success but when I use XCI Exployer I get Exception of type'System.OutofMemoryException' was thrown. I have tried restarting my laptop thinking the system was just out of memory. But I got the same excepton. Is Zelda a type 2 that Waindumper can't dump? I saved the details to a text file but I don't know what info I need to censor before posting it.

RedHunter

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Used the dumping tool for Xenoblade 2 no problem then the XCI Exployer to trim the file size again no issue. Then I have made three attempts to dump Zelda Botw and three times the program was a success but when I use XCI Exployer I get Exception of type'System.OutofMemoryException' was thrown. I have tried restarting my laptop thinking the system was just out of memory. But I got the same excepton. Is Zelda a type 2 that Waindumper can't dump? I saved the details to a text file but I don't know what info I need to censor before posting it.
I have a similar problem with Zelda too, i get an Unhandled exception error.But it opens other games just fine.

Foen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
[WAIN]Card Dumper 2.0.0
*Added UI
*USB dumping support for SX OS

pic.jpg

have fun!

Attachments

• WAINDUMPER.rar
    498.7 KB · Views: 2,955

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Could I have a resume of the previous version?

What's the relation with XCI dumper? https://gbatemp.net/threads/xci-dumper.506700/
are you the original developer? If you do, why the project has been renamed if it's an update? (WAIN Cart Dumper NX / WAIN Card Dumper). Ok, almost similar, but still different.
You posted in that thread and never claimed that project as yours.

which relation with this other card dumper ? thread https://gbatemp.net/threads/open-source-xci-dumper.506947/
it became opensource ? then no more sources? then dropped ? then darkmatter version ? then your v2.0? I'm lost with the different version and their updates/forks/based on/stolen sources drama/etc.

which relation with https://github.com/MCMrARM/switch-game-card-dumper and the stolen source code report here https://gbatemp.net/posts/8038064/

please, help me get the story straight so I can list, sort and link each version to their own developer properly for the wiki. Which project are renamed, identical, fork or different?
And if possible, don't post a new thread for each new release, just update the main thread for your project to make everything easier to follow. Thank you.

Last edited by Cyan,

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could I have a resume of the previous version?

What's the relation with XCI dumper? https://gbatemp.net/threads/xci-dumper.506700/
are you the original developer? If you do, why the project has been renamed if it's an update? (WAIN Cart Dumper NX / WAIN Card Dumper). Ok, almost similar, but still different.
You posted in that thread and never claimed that project as yours.

which relation with this other card dumper ? thread https://gbatemp.net/threads/open-source-xci-dumper.506947/
it became opensource ? then no more sources? then dropped ? then darkmatter version ? then your v2.0? I'm lost with the different version and their updates/forks/based on/stolen sources drama/etc.

which relation with https://github.com/MCMrARM/switch-game-card-dumper and the stolen source code report here https://gbatemp.net/posts/8038064/

please, help me get the story straight so I can list, sort and link each version to their own developer properly for the wiki. Which project are renamed, identical, fork or different?
And if possible, don't post a new thread for each new release, just update the main thread for your project to make everything easier to follow. Thank you.
Wow, that's a lot of questions. Let's see here:

1. The relation between this and the one I posted in https://gbatemp.net/threads/xci-dumper.506700/ is that they are the same application, this is version 2 of WAINCartDumperNX. As for the rename, projects go through renames all the time. When a project goes up my a major number, ex. 1.0.0 to 2.0.0 this usually indicates that the program has had a massive restructure or change to qualify being a new major update and name changes are fairly common during those occurrences.
  2. The project in https://gbatemp.net/threads/open-source-xci-dumper.506947/ was an open source alternative made by someone else who was not satisfied with a closed source dumper. They are two entirely different projects. That project then got overshadowed by another open source project from DarkMatterCore and jakibaki discontinued it.
  3. As for the relation to https://github.com/MCMrARM/switch-game-card-dumper, that was indeed used as a base though since that project has no license it is not required to credit or release the source for the original WAINCartDumperNX software.

So to summarize, this dumper is an update to WAINCartDumperNX and both are not related to any of the other dumpers developers.

Reactions: Cyan

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country

1. As for the relation to https://github.com/MCMrARM/switch-game-card-dumper, that was indeed used as a base though since that project has no license it is not required to credit or release the source for the original WAINCartDumperNX software.
don't want to derail the thread to license discussion, but I need to say that unfortunately this is simply not true
source code without license does not necessarily put it in public domain. it's quite the opposite in fact

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Public domain is only an American concept. For example, it does not exist in France, a work is always automatically owned by its author. Public domain is not a real license, it's more an absence of license for countries which allow orphan work.

Thank you for the information. This is what I gathered about the different card dumper projects.
So,
0- pegaSwitch dumper (javascript, brewjs compatible?)
1- Switch Game Card Dumper, is from MCMrARM. This is the original work, or there are a previous one?
2- Open source xci dumper, from Jakibaki, was his own work, but decided to stop that project. too bad it's not on github anymore even if dropped.
3- gcdumptool, from DarkMatter, Open source and is a fork and continuation from MCMrARM. He had help from Foen too.
4- WAIN is Foen's. closed source but based on MCMrARM too. which version did you use as base ? (to know the included features/bugs for your first release). no complain from MCM?

I'll close the other thread and link to this one, I'll remove the 2.0.0 in the title so this thread can become the main place for all future updates too.

Foen, do you have any changelog or full features? as there's no source we can't check all revisions.
For example, DarkMatterCore's readme has a feature list, such as removal of private certificate. does yours keep or delete the user's certs?
that would be great to know what your homebrew does, what each revision improve or fix, at least a little readme if you keep it closed source would be appreciated along the nro.

I tried to recreate a readme:

WAIN Card Dumper NX
"Without an Interesting Name" card dumper for Nintendo Switch.

Usage
Place the NRO file in your sdmc:/switch/ folder and run with Homebrew Menu.

Requirements
Requires FW 4.X.X or higher to dump card2 games

Changelog
*Added UI

[screenshot]

0.0.3, sources by Falo:
* Added FAT32 dumping support in 2G chunks
* Added options to dumps without the cartridge's private certificate

0.0.2, sources by Falo
* Add the option to dump only the certificate
[some screenshots here]

First release
* Based on MCMrARM Switch game card dumper.
* Adds XCI file format dumping support to exFAT SD card.
* Dumps an exact copy of the cartridge's data to XCI (with private certificate)

Last edited by Cyan,

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Public domain is only an American concept. For example, it does not exist in France, a work is always automatically owned by its author. Public domain is not a real license, it's more an absence of license for countries which allow orphan work.

Thank you for the information. This is what I gathered about the different card dumper projects.
So,
1- Switch Game Card Dumper, is from MCMrARM. This is the original work, or there are a previous one?
2- Open source xci dumper, from Jakibaki, was his own work, but decided to stop that project. too bad it's not on github anymore even if dropped.
3- gcdumptool, from DarkMatter, Open source and is a fork and continuation from MCMrARM. He had help from Foen too.
4- WAIN is Foen's. closed source but based on MCMrARM too. no complain from MCM?

I'll close the other thread and link to this one, I'll remove the 2.0.0 in the title so this thread can become the main place for all future updates too.

Foen, do you have any changelog or full features? as there's no source we can't check all revisions.
For example, DarkMatterCore's readme has a feature list, such as removal of private certificate. does yours keep or delete the user's certs?
that would be great to know what your homebrew does, what each revision improve or fix, at least a little readme if you keep it closed source would be appreciated along the nro.

2.0.0:
added UI
USB Dumping with SX OS

0.0.3:
Adds FAT32 dumping support
Removes cartridge certificate
You are right about the licensing, I have read GitHubs ToS to see what the default license is for projects that do not specify one and it is is restricted to viewing and copying within GitHubs own environment (forking) but otherwise the posted code is restricted for use or distribution outside of Github.

Switch Game Card Dumper from MCMrARM dumped raw partitions from came cards and could not create XCIs. It was the first public homebrew to dump anything from a game card. It was based on the pegaSwitch dumper code here: https://gist.github.com/AcK77/56b86469faef238157a0e02cb962ee30

WAINCartDumperNX came out which was revealed through reverse engineering by Falo to be Switch Game Card Dumper with slight modifications to dump directly to an XCI file. It then received a few updates that allowed things like FAT32 splitting and ability to remove cert or leave it in-tact as well as dumping ONLY the cert.

0.0.1:
Dumps game.xci to sdmc:/ with certificate (exFAT only)

0.0.2:
Added option to dump only game certificate

0.0.3:
Added option for FAT32 split files and dumping without certificate

JakiBaki's open source release was simply Switch Game Card Dumper from MCMrARM but with his own edits to allow for XCI dumping, created due to disliking the closed source release and to add QoL features like naming the XCI file so multiple games could be dumped in one session.

DarkMatterCore's dumper, gcdumptool, was another open sourced dumper written from scratch and not using any of MCMrARM's code. Its feature quickly surpassed JakiBaki's and considering his was just a slit modification of MCMrARM's, he pulled the project.

WAIN's developer is still unconfirmed and there has been no comments made by MCMrARM since they posted their original code.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you for all the help :)

So, Foen is not WAIN's author. okay, I might as well just merge this thread in the other you created then ! better have a single place with all the updates and releases.

DarkMatter's github history starts from MCM's commit, so I think it's based on his.

Last edited by Cyan,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Wow, that's a lot of questions. Let's see here:

1. The relation between this and the one I posted in https://gbatemp.net/threads/xci-dumper.506700/ is that they are the same application, this is version 2 of WAINCartDumperNX. As for the rename, projects go through renames all the time. When a project goes up my a major number, ex. 1.0.0 to 2.0.0 this usually indicates that the program has had a massive restructure or change to qualify being a new major update and name changes are fairly common during those occurrences.
  2. The project in https://gbatemp.net/threads/open-source-xci-dumper.506947/ was an open source alternative made by someone else who was not satisfied with a closed source dumper. They are two entirely different projects. That project then got overshadowed by another open source project from DarkMatterCore and jakibaki discontinued it.
  3. As for the relation to https://github.com/MCMrARM/switch-game-card-dumper, that was indeed used as a base though since that project has no license it is not required to credit or release the source for the original WAINCartDumperNX software.

So to summarize, this dumper is an update to WAINCartDumperNX and both are not related to any of the other dumpers developers.
Actually, by default if there is no license provided and the author doesn't specify otherwise, then he grants no rights to use or modify the code in any way. You can look at it, but that's about it, unless you request permission and he grants it to you.

Foen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

So,
0- pegaSwitch dumper (javascript, brewjs compatible?)
4- WAIN is Foen's. closed source but based on MCMrARM too. which version did you use as base ? (to know the included features/bugs for your first release). no complain from MCM?

I tried to recreate a readme:

WAIN Card Dumper NX
"Without an Interesting Name" card dumper for Nintendo Switch.

Usage
Place the NRO file in your sdmc:/switch/ folder and run with Homebrew Menu.

Requirements
Requires FW 4.X.X or higher to dump card2 games

Changelog
*Added UI

[screenshot]

0.0.3, sources:
Adds FAT32 dumping support in 2G chunks
Option to remove the cartridge's private certificate

add the option to dump just the certificate
[some screenshots here]

First release
Based on MCMrARM Switch game card dumper.
Adds xci file format dumping support to exFAT SD card.
Dumps exact copy of cartridge to XCI (with private certificate)

wow you merged it cant change the opening post anymore well played. going back under my rock.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
This is really cool with usb dumping I could really do with this can you not add a trimming option as well, it’s a shame without?

Last edited by Reecey,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up