Hacking Wad Manager 1.3 : retreiving device content error (Ret=-1)

tolzadoom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi there,
I never managed to run any wad from the homebrew channel.
When running WadManager 1.3 I constantly get "retreiving device content error (Ret=-1)"
I put wadmanager into SD\apps\wadmng\boot.dool
I created a wad dir containing 2 wads at root of SD. I put a copy as well in SD\apps\

I tried as well using WAD-Installer_v2.1. It says as well that it can not find any "wad" directory (Ret=1)

My WII is in 3.1E

Any hints dudes ?

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Make sure your wad folder on the root of your SD card is named 'wad' and not anything else. You say you put wadmanager in SD\apps\wadmng\boot.dool right? It should be boot.dol not boot.dool. Also I hope your apps folder is on the root of your SD card and not in a folder called SD. So wadmanager should be in (Drive letter):\apps\wadmng\boot.dol

tolzadoom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
>Make sure your wad folder on the root of your SD card is named 'wad' and not anything else.
That is what I did.

>You say you put wadmanager in SD\apps\wadmng\boot.dool right? It should be boot.dol not boot.dool.
That was a typo. Indeed that it boot.dol

>Also I hope your apps folder is on the root of your SD card and not in a folder called SD.
by using SD I mean root :-)

>So wadmanager should be in (Drive letter):\apps\wadmng\boot.dol
Correct and that is what I have.

Sorry mate... another hint ?

tolzadoom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
>Have another SD Card lying around?
Well, from the homebrew channel, it sees the app dir with boot.dol (wadmanager) from my SD. I can run it from there. So I would assume it is not a problem with the SD card (this is transcend class 6 16GB SD card).
I put both the wadmanager and the wads on my SD.
damned !!!
could that be because of my wii beeing 3.1E ?

Logan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Had the exact same problem once upon a time. Its your SD card. Its either not formatted correctly or its bust.

Are you using an adapter i.e. Micro/MiniSD card inside an SD adapter? Because that causes this error.

The problem only went away for me when I went and bought a 2GB standard SD card.

tolzadoom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You damned right !!!
I used another SD card and that works now.
Crazy...

So whenever U have a ret=-1 when looking for wad dir on your SD card, just chnage the SD card.
It was not working with a 16GB class 6 fro, transcend.

Thx dude.

IronMask

Official WiiStuntman First to Test ciosCorp!
Trophies
Website
ironmaskshideout.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Yea.. it's come to my attention that forwarder.dol wads are not compatible with some/maybe all sdhc cards. There was 2 different forwarder channels it was tested with and same thing on both. So hopefully this is just an added command to run... dunno

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Logan said:
Had the exact same problem once upon a time. Its your SD card. Its either not formatted correctly or its bust.

Are you using an adapter i.e. Micro/MiniSD card inside an SD adapter? Because that causes this error.

The problem only went away for me when I went and bought a 2GB standard SD card.

I am using a 2GB microSD with SD adapter and it works fine. Like you said, it's mostly because tolzadoom's card was greater than 2GB.

TiMeBoMb4u2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using a SanDisk 8GB SDHC Class 2 card, and I'm getting the "retreiving device content ERROR (ret=-1)" too!

I had a PNY 2GB SD card, which was working perfectly, but I ran out of space. I copied all the data from the 2GB card to the 8GB card. Everything works fine, except for my "WAD Manager v1.3".

Isn't version 1.3 supposed to be compatible with SDHC?

Is Waninkoko going to release a "fixed" version, so this will start working?

Thanks, for any information!

TiMeBoMb
rolleyes.gif

distortedgamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you to everyone on the whole site for all of the help and information!!

I have a 4 gb SD card that runs everything fine except the WAD Manager 1.3, I am getting the same error as mentioned. I have gone through all of the advice in the thread and still have the same error.

I also have tried it on a 128 mb micro through adaptor and with a 512 mb micro/adaptor and they both did the same thing. I believe that I have even used those micros before to install wads. I know that I have installed wads before and I haven't bought any new cards since then.

ToddlerTN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is exactly what I'm running into now that I have a 16GB SDHC card.

Edit: The version posted above does work for me, but why doesn't Waninkoko release an updated version himself? I'm not big on running apps of unknown origin.

sexconker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Had a 2 GB Kingston card that worked fine.
Got an 8 GB Transcend (SDHC) card and it loads up homebrew and stuff fine, but WAD Manager 1.3 returns -1.

Going to try formatting it.
Then I'll try the linked version above.

Is there an easier way to load wads as channels straight to the SD?

I have WAD files (some stuff I bought from the shop, some stuff I own & injected into stuff I bought with AutoInjectuWad).
I want to get the WAD files onto my Wii as channels.
I then want to move the channels from my Wii to the SD card.

I'm running 4.0 so I can load VC games and WiiWare games from the SD directly.
I want all my WADs (as channels) on the SD card in case I have to send my Wii in again.

My current plan is to dump all my WADs to the SD card, install them one-by-one with WAD Manager (if I can get it or the other version working), and then move them back to the SD card one-by-one via the Wii system menu. And since the Wii's space is limited, I will have to do several rounds of filling up the Wii's memory then dumping to SD.

You all know how slow SD writes are on the Wii. This process will eat up my Saturday.

phaerun

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Just use the wad manager version linked above and it will work for SDHC cards np.
When I was using the 1.3 version from wanins blog with my 8 gig card i was getting that -1 error. With the version linked above wad manager works fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    20 some years later crash bandicoot still pisses me off
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you jail broke your ps4 yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been on since 9.0
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you gonna do your ps5 if the hack comes? Is there worries of bans, like the ps3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
    +1
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    +1
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    ddddddddddddddddddddddd
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my fingie hurt
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Why?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    hangnail thing I think
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ... that's rough buddy
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    peepee
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: peepee