vWii USB Loader GX and WiiFlow not booting

GrimGamer9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
hi so i have had Wiiflow working fine on my vwii for a while now and when i go to play it today i find that WiiFlows not booting, not through homebrew launcher, not through its channel fowarder, not even uninstalling and reinstalling it helped! i tried a different loader (USB L GX) but that was having the same issue! i suspect it may be a cios issue but i dont know what will happen if i overwrite my current cios with fresh installs. help i dont think ill last another day without my vwii games

leejaclane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is something people would need more information to be able to help you troubleshoot this issue.

Info that would help us out would be the versions of WiiFlow & USB Loader GX you tried, the version of cIOS and what IOS bases you used, whether you have a Wii U formatted HDD plugged into USB, and whether you can think of anything you've done recently between now and the last time it was working.

If you don't know what version of cIOS or what base was used for it, you can use syscheck to have your console tell you what's installed to which IOS slot.

GrimGamer9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This is something people would need more information to be able to help you troubleshoot this issue.

Info that would help us out would be the versions of WiiFlow & USB Loader GX you tried, the version of cIOS and what IOS bases you used, whether you have a Wii U formatted HDD plugged into USB, and whether you can think of anything you've done recently between now and the last time it was working.

If you don't know what version of cIOS or what base was used for it, you can use syscheck to have your console tell you what's installed to which IOS slot.
Hi thanks for responding, since the post i havent tried anything, it was working fine and then i stopped using it for roughly a week and when i try it wasnt working, the versions of wiiflow and usb gx was the most recent prior to this post, i tested usb gx and wiiflow just now and both still arent booting, i used syscheck and i had cios in IOS58, 249, 250 and 251, 58 had USB 2.0, 249 250 and 251 all had rev 21011 d2x-v11beta1-vWii Nand Access Usb 2.0 (ps everytime i try to boot wiiflow or usb gx it freezes my wii u making me have to unplug and plug it back in to use it.)

leejaclane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm. Okay, try not to boot WiiFlow or USB Loader GX until we have an idea of how to diagnose the issue, since unplugging it could damage the system. It's probably fine, but you know, it's not how it's supposed to be powered down.

Also, you don't have cIOS in 58 if it's just saying USB 2.0 -- it always says that in syscheck. And you said the slots 249, 250, 251, but not what the bases for them were. Here, I'll show a snippet of a syscheck I recently did -- if you saved your syscheck results to the SD card, you can find them in the file sysCheck.csv at the root of the SD card.

vIOS249[56] (rev 21011, Info: d2x-v11beta1-vWii): NAND Access, USB 2.0
vIOS250[57] (rev 21011, Info: d2x-v11beta1-vWii): NAND Access, USB 2.0
vIOS251[58] (rev 21011, Info: d2x-v11beta1-vWii): NAND Access, USB 2.0

Do you see the numbers in brackets next to 249, 250, and 251? Those are the bases used for the cIOS. The numbers 249-251 are just the slots to which the cIOS is installed, any base or version could be used though. So for my vIOS 249, the base would be 56. It's probably safe to assume that yours match mine, especially if you followed a guide, but it's better if we know for sure. That said if you just ran the syscheck but didn't save it, I'd understand not wanting to have to repeat it right now.

So, I have more questions. And don't jump to do them right away like they're suggestions, they're just questions. Have you tried loading either of these loaders without a USB drive plugged in? Have you tried a different SD card with fresh installs of everything, rather than copying any files over to it? Do you use UStealth to hide your HDD from the Wii U side so that you don't get the nagging message to format it? Have you checked your HDD on a computer to make sure it's functioning?

Actually that makes me realize another question I need to ask. What storage media do you use for these loaders? Is at an HDD, SSD, USB flash drive, SD card, or an SD card in a USB card reader? Certain storage media can be problematic. If it is anything plugged into a USB port, which USB port on your console is it plugged into? Is it plugged in using a Y cable, or in other words a splitter cable with 2 plugs on it, one for power and data while the other is just for power?

Again I would like to say, don't try loading those loaders again just yet, try answering some of my questions first if you can. Although checking your drive or SD card on a PC would be fine, just don't format it if it tells you that it's corrupted or anything.

Reactions: Judako

GrimGamer9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hm. Okay, try not to boot WiiFlow or USB Loader GX until we have an idea of how to diagnose the issue, since unplugging it could damage the system. It's probably fine, but you know, it's not how it's supposed to be powered down.

Also, you don't have cIOS in 58 if it's just saying USB 2.0 -- it always says that in syscheck. And you said the slots 249, 250, 251, but not what the bases for them were. Here, I'll show a snippet of a syscheck I recently did -- if you saved your syscheck results to the SD card, you can find them in the file sysCheck.csv at the root of the SD card.

vIOS249[56] (rev 21011, Info: d2x-v11beta1-vWii): NAND Access, USB 2.0
vIOS250[57] (rev 21011, Info: d2x-v11beta1-vWii): NAND Access, USB 2.0
vIOS251[58] (rev 21011, Info: d2x-v11beta1-vWii): NAND Access, USB 2.0

Do you see the numbers in brackets next to 249, 250, and 251? Those are the bases used for the cIOS. The numbers 249-251 are just the slots to which the cIOS is installed, any base or version could be used though. So for my vIOS 249, the base would be 56. It's probably safe to assume that yours match mine, especially if you followed a guide, but it's better if we know for sure. That said if you just ran the syscheck but didn't save it, I'd understand not wanting to have to repeat it right now.

So, I have more questions. And don't jump to do them right away like they're suggestions, they're just questions. Have you tried loading either of these loaders without a USB drive plugged in? Have you tried a different SD card with fresh installs of everything, rather than copying any files over to it? Do you use UStealth to hide your HDD from the Wii U side so that you don't get the nagging message to format it? Have you checked your HDD on a computer to make sure it's functioning?

Actually that makes me realize another question I need to ask. What storage media do you use for these loaders? Is at an HDD, SSD, USB flash drive, SD card, or an SD card in a USB card reader? Certain storage media can be problematic. If it is anything plugged into a USB port, which USB port on your console is it plugged into? Is it plugged in using a Y cable, or in other words a splitter cable with 2 plugs on it, one for power and data while the other is just for power?

Again I would like to say, don't try loading those loaders again just yet, try answering some of my questions first if you can. Although checking your drive or SD card on a PC would be fine, just don't format it if it tells you that it's corrupted or anything.
my bases are the exact same as yours, i am using a 32gb usb flash drive, my usb, and sd both load on my pc, shouldi attempt to boot wiiflow without my usb? and i dont have a spare sd card the right size laying around for the (diff sd) trick

GrimGamer9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Good morning,

the problem ==> it's the USB key

use an external hard drive with a Y-cable and you'll be fine :yayu:
its not. it was working fine for 2 months. my whole VWii freezes when booting the software, with or without the usb, check ur facts then reply next time

leejaclane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its not. it was working fine for 2 months. my whole VWii freezes when booting the software, with or without the usb, check ur facts then reply next time
No, @jeannotte is probably right. Even a USB flash drive that has worked for you for 2 months can begin to have issues with the vWii. If nothing else has changed to cause the issue as a result of user error or some type of drive corruption (which a lot of operating systems will automatically detect when you mount an external drive), and it's affecting both of these loaders instead of just one, then it almost has to be the flash drive -- or the SD card. Both of them can show as working fine on a PC (depending on your OS) and still have issues when used with vWii -- I had an SD card Linux said was fine and everything worked on it for Wii U and vWii except loading GoldenEye 007 Wii specifically, that game crashed every time until I put the SD card in a Windows PC and it detected that it was damaged and repaired it. But the more likely of the 2 to be failing on vWii is the USB flash drive.

I think you should go ahead and try launching either one of the loaders from the Homebrew Channel without any USB drive plugged in -- maybe try not having anything else plugged into USB ports on the Wii U as well. If it still isn't loading, it's at least giving us more info to go on.

GrimGamer9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Its working without the usb, should i try to boot with usb to see if it fixed itself now its booted once?

leejaclane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can try with the flash drive plugged in if you really want to, but as far as everyone else is concerned, it seems pretty obvious that it's the flash drive that's the cause of the issue, because flash drives have been known as a problem for quite some time. Wii and Wii U don't play very nice with most flash drives. They're fine to use once in a while, like for testing a thing real quick, but it's pretty much always better to use a hard drive instead.

GrimGamer9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You can try with the flash drive plugged in if you really want to, but as far as everyone else is concerned, it seems pretty obvious that it's the flash drive that's the cause of the issue, because flash drives have been known as a problem for quite some time. Wii and Wii U don't play very nice with most flash drives. They're fine to use once in a while, like for testing a thing real quick, but it's pretty much always better to use a hard drive instead.
i dont have enough money for a hard drive man, feeling like my pfp rn.

leejaclane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dont have enough money for a hard drive man, feeling like my pfp rn.
Sorry to hear that. Well, maybe you can save up your money for a little while. There's pretty good external HDDs that are only around $60 USD, but I'm not sure how much they are in Australia. Of course depending on the HDD it might not get enough power from the Wii U, but there are solutions for that which shouldn't cost too much more.

Some people have had some luck with some newer USB flash drives... you could try another, different flash drive, but that might just be throwing money away. It's your decision, but I'd try to save up for a hard drive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: yeah, i'm Anyone, that's just not my alias here