Hacking (vWii) - Tri-Core Linux

mcchase

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I hate to keep bumping this old thread, I apologise in advance.

I had a quick search about recently to see if any progress had been made (I'm still patiently waiting!) and I didn't see much other than an IOSU exploit in the works by someone called Hykem. I also saw this has been the point of some conflict here on the forums and I certainly don't want to bring the status of the potential exploit up into any kind of debate again; but I am interested to know IF this exploit comes to any form of fruition is the linux port likely to happen at that point? Would it be a simple task to do then?

Reactions: orangy57

FaTaL_ErRoR

AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate to keep bumping this old thread, I apologise in advance.

I had a quick search about recently to see if any progress had been made (I'm still patiently waiting!) and I didn't see much other than an IOSU exploit in the works by someone called Hykem. I also saw this has been the point of some conflict here on the forums and I certainly don't want to bring the status of the potential exploit up into any kind of debate again; but I am interested to know IF this exploit comes to any form of fruition is the linux port likely to happen at that point? Would it be a simple task to do then?
I can answer this. A proper port of linux tri core does not need an IOSU exploit. Currently this "triunux" runs on vwii.
Using a platform like loadiine uses one could launch a tri core linux port via kernel level. This would allow many other things to happen.
One would then have more access to other things such as: IOSU, memory, ect. In fact with a little work things from the proper linux port would probably be able to be used in programs like loadiine to get an online capable version running. Getting linux to run on the wii u side would be difficult and there aren't too many linux devs around here. (so there isn't too much interest)
I would be interested but I am unwilling to go at it alone. I would require 4-5 seasoned linux devs and 2-3 willing and fluent in linux testers.
I do believe not having this has slowed down the great wii u hacking teams/dev teams.
I am sure having a different OS running native on the console would be very helpful to MN1 and anyone else working on wii u projects.
Sadly there is not much interest in proper linux porting to wii u. I think there were a few ppl interested at first but some can longer build due to contractual agreements with Nintendo and others just lost interest. Who knows, maybe someone will gain interest. Maybe some already have and are keeping quiet.

(Anyone notice that talk in circles? I just noticed I pretty much say the same things like three times each post. No matter what the subject is I seem to utter a phrase from the beginning of my post throughout it. That's kinda annoying. I must change this at once.)

Last edited by FaTaL_ErRoR,

mcchase

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I can answer this. A proper port of linux tri core does not need an IOSU exploit. Currently this "triunux" runs on vwii.
Using a platform like loadiine uses one could launch a tri core linux port via kernel level. This would allow many other things to happen.
One would then have more access to other things such as: IOSU, memory, ect. In fact with a little work things from the proper linux port would probably be able to be used in programs like loadiine to get an online capable version running. Getting linux to run on the wii u side would be difficult and there aren't too many linux devs around here. (so there isn't too much interest)
I would be interested but I am unwilling to go at it alone. I would require 4-5 seasoned linux devs and 2-3 willing and fluent in linux testers.
I do believe not having this has slowed down the great wii u hacking teams/dev teams.
I am sure having a different OS running native on the console would be very helpful to MN1 and anyone else working on wii u projects.
Sadly there is not much interest in proper linux porting to wii u. I think there were a few ppl interested at first but some can longer build due to contractual agreements with Nintendo and others just lost interest. Who knows, maybe someone will gain interest. Maybe some already have and are keeping quiet.

Thanks for the explanation Fatal! I'll go back to my corner and wait some more ;)

MurrayDB42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

(Anyone notice that talk in circles? I just noticed I pretty much say the same things like three times each post. No matter what the subject is I seem to utter a phrase from the beginning of my post throughout it. That's kinda annoying. I must change this at once.)
I would love to be a tester, I do have many useful skills but am seriously lacking in dedication to commit any major contributions to any development team.

Sent from my SM-G900W8

Reactions: GR-DRACULA

FaTaL_ErRoR

AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone actually interested in this project as far as building a functional linux can pm me or just simply post here.
As for anyone not so versed in linux we are going to build from this base....
http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/PowerPC+Linux
(Don't hold your breath on this one nobody has committed time to help with building it yet.)
Although, I am quite bored maybe I'll go alone who knows...

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone actually interested in this project as far as building a functional linux can pm me or just simply post here.
(Don't hold your breath on this one nobody has committed time to help with building it yet.)
evRLf.jpg
It would actually be quicker to have someone(like sfconservancy.org, etc.) to compel Nintendo to release their changes. You know it is most likely they tweaked a lot of open source software in order to get things working.

Reactions: GR-DRACULA

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have abandoned this project, leaving it for other's as about a year ago, I became a licensed Wii U (indie) developer so I can no longer work on any sort of reverse engineering projects for Nintendo platforms. Unfortunately I can't help you. I do know that we actually released 1.4b which was the last one we ever put out. Try that one, otherwise someone else will have to re-upload the one you're looking for. Honestly though, 1.4b is much more feature rich.

2haloes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have abandoned this project, leaving it for other's as about a year ago, I became a licensed Wii U (indie) developer so I can no longer work on any sort of reverse engineering projects for Nintendo platforms. Unfortunately I can't help you. I do know that we actually released 1.4b which was the last one we ever put out. Try that one, otherwise someone else will have to re-upload the one you're looking for. Honestly though, 1.4b is much more feature rich.

Wow, well I wish you luck on everything and I'll see if I can get the version I have on my computer on somewhere (I think I still have it but I'll need to check)

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
evRLf.jpg
It would actually be quicker to have someone(like sfconservancy.org, etc.) to compel Nintendo to release their changes. You know it is most likely they tweaked a lot of open source software in order to get things working.
A bit late, but what's not visible in this picture is that there's a standard PC behind the display. This isn't a Wii U running Ubuntu.

Sophia Fox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there something I could do to contribute to the project? I'm not an expert kernel dev, but I'm fluent and willing to test.

If necessary, I could also attempt to learn how to develop for the kernel.

EDIT: I would also be willing to pay you if you need a money incentive. It wouldn't be a lot, but it's something. As long as the project (source and binaries) gets into the public's hands I'm willing to pay for development.

Last edited by Sophia Fox,
Reactions: vgmoose and KiiWii

rumblpak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tri-core linux in vWii sandbox is dead.
Maybe when IOSU exploit gets released...

IOSU doesn't get you anything in linux that we didn't already have. We already have linux running at full speed with all cores available. We had that when I was working with TSK well over a year ago. What we didn't have was a kernel that took advantage of it. The graphics were framebuffer based, the cpu wasn't at all optimized, hardware support was spotty at best, and there was a lack of interest in improving it. There's much more information now than there was then about the hardware but even then I'm not sure how much could be done without some serious time spent in reversing the hardware to improve compatibility, porting a graphics driver, and building a new kernel that is threading aware (AFAIK the most recent build is still based off of a port of gc-linux). There's enough information out there to significantly improve the quality of this linux build but like TSK said, there's little to no interest. Most of the interest was getting linux working, and it is technically booting and working, even in its basic state. Even if people dedicate major time to improve cpu support in the kernel, you'd basically be left with a cpu optimized system that worked with vesa drivers for graphics, and spotty hardware support elsewhere. There's been NO work in getting proper graphics drivers written, and don't expect them as they're a hell of a lot more complicated than someone is going to work on in their free time. If someone does, great, and I'll applaud it; unfortunately, I don't see pigs flying any time soon. Its much more likely that with an IOSU exploit that people will focus development on an sdk to develop native apps to work in IOSU rather than a complete replacement OS.

Reactions: oldsk00l

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there something I could do to contribute to the project? I'm not an expert kernel dev, but I'm fluent and willing to test.

If necessary, I could also attempt to learn how to develop for the kernel.

EDIT: I would also be willing to pay you if you need a money incentive. It wouldn't be a lot, but it's something. As long as the project (source and binaries) gets into the public's hands I'm willing to pay for development.

Hey any chance this is you? http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=152 sophiafox? I'm just wondering, as you replied to the runix thread for ps1/psx/psone (if that's actually you, stating that you successfully compiled the kernel for it, but I never heard back from you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
    +1