Hacking vWii HDD Format Question

THA-REAPER

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it now possible to have a formatted vWii and a section for legit purchased Nintendo digital games on the same drive? I haven't really been paying attention as much as I used to around here. I've done 3 of my own, but I admit I am a little rusty with this. I'm trying to get a friends Wii U homebrufied.

Also what is the recommended format for Nintendont is it Fat32 split or NTFS? I know WBFS is the least because the PC can't read the contents of the file system only in WiiBackup Manager.

Im using a 3TB Buffalo drive from the list and using Windows so NTFS wouldn't be a issue. I plan on going to the mega thread while I'm working on it, but I want to save some time by getting things ready at home first.

Last edited by THA-REAPER,
D

Deleted User

Unfortunately, it is not currently possible to partition a Wii U formatted drive.
As far as I'm aware, the Wii U uses a specially encrypted partition table to handle the drive, which cannot be read by a PC (just re-formatted).

If you're just using it for Nintendon't, you may be able to get away with FAT32. FAT32 can only handle 4GB files, but since GameCube discs are only 1.5GB per layer, you should be able to get away with most games.

CJB100

Programmer, Media Producer, Hardware Repair
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it now possible to have a formatted vWii and a section for legit purchased Nintendo digital games on the same drive? I haven't really been paying attention as much as I used to around here. I've done 3 of my own, but I admit I am a little rusty with this. I'm trying to get a friends Wii U homebrufied.

Also what is the recommended format for Nintendont is it Fat32 split or NTFS? I know WBFS is the least because the PC can't read the contents of the file system only in WiiBackup Manager.

Im using a 3TB Buffalo drive from the list and using Windows so NTFS wouldn't be a issue. I plan on going to the mega thread while I'm working on it, but I want to save some time by getting things ready at home first.

If you have any questions regarding things other than what you are asking, I'd recommend my sticky at the top of the forum, "The Definitive vWii Hacking Guide." I only suggest because you said you are rusty. As far as the HDD, FAT32 MBR is by far the recommended format, but I know that MBR has issues with drives larger than 2TB, and I believe FAT32 does as well, so you may try NTFS and see how that goes for you.

Last edited by CJB100,

THA-REAPER

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CreeperMario
Thanks. I just had to ask since its been a while and so much changed within these few months. In general I was aware of the 4GB limit so I always made sure WiiBackup Manager was set to split anything that would surpass 4GB.

CJB100
Thanks as well. What I ended up doing was partitioning the drive up to 1.93TB FAT32. That's as far Easeus Partition Manager would let me. The rest of the unallocated space I formatted to NTFS. Still may make it FAT32 if I cant find a use for it being NTFS. So now I have drive letters X and Y. I tried Bootice with the same configuration mentioned in the definitive thread and it would make the drive not show in Windows Explorer. Im guessing it was hitting the limitation you guys mentioned. It showed the entire drive unallocated each time in disk management so I had to start over by reformatting it there. No problem since it was already an empty drive. I actually was referring to your thread when I said "mega thread" lol.

So far no problems with any of the loaders picking up the drive tested CFG, USBLoaderGx, WiiFlow, and Nintendont. Emulators and Loadiine should work fine. Much appreciation on The Definitive vWii Hacking Guide saves so much time bouncing around the web searching and forgetting stuff. Next time I'll be sure to stop in there if I have anymore questions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    there is a plugin that display them on the wii u menu, pretty sure it is enabled by default
  • crafthp434 @ crafthp434:
    so like it doesnt exist
    yeah
    ?
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    it doesn't exist, at least not for aroma
    ohhhhh
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    on tiramisu you can access it by opening mii maker
    okay
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I don't have a wii u anymore to test it myself, but if homebrews are not visible on the wii u menu I think you can press L + R + minus to open the plugin menu, there should be an option called "homebrews on wii u menu" or something similar
    nope
    it is L+dpad down+ select
    but homebrew is appearing in the home menu btw
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    yes, now I remember it
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    then it is working, I also don't like that they did this but it is the only option you have if you are using aroma
    i just didint know the homebrew launcher didint exist in aroma
    thanks btw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Im downloading fallout 3 goty edition
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm downloading more ram for my hamster pc
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    New hamster PC, with anal operation and BT connectivity!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, How do I make enemies respawn on gdevelop after
    the player dies?
    Carrying a PC or phone is so old school!
    Squeeze your cheeks twice to answer calls!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty you can use a "spawner" function on any object.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or when your player dies, you can say in code, if enemy exists, do nothing, but if enemy does not exist, then create enemy at certain spot. (This would be a pain tho for lots of emeies)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Easiest, simple way would be just restart scene, but player would restart from beginning.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Easiest, simple way would be just restart scene, but player would restart from beginning.