[vWii] Can I use USBLoaderGX with a "normal" USBStick?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Wahrrelasse, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Wahrrelasse
    OP

Wahrrelasse Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 28, 2016
    Gambia, The
    I've followed the definitive vWii Guide and was at the USBLoaderGX part, but I don't have a HDD at the moment, so I wanted to use my 16GB normal Stick until I get a new HDD. I set it up just like a HDD using Bootice, but it doesn't work. How can I fix this? I only want to dump Brawl

2. bobfacemoo

bobfacemoo GBAtemp Fan

Feb 21, 2016
    I think you can, right now I'm using a basic 64gb USB. Although it seems HDDs are better, sometimes my games just freeze on me (Mainly Mario Party 9) but that's the only issue I have with it until I decide to be bothered to buy a HDD :D

MegaSuperab2 likes this.
  3. CJB100

CJB100 Programmer, Media Producer, Hardware Repair

May 8, 2016
    United States
    USA
    USB Flash Drives and sticks have been known to have issues, but I've personally never had any. Make sure you try both USB ports on the back to see which works. You cannot use the ones on the front.

4. rw-r-r_0644

rw-r-r_0644 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    Italy
    Sometimes there are issues with USB following the guide. If anything works, you need to put the USB (normally formatted) in the upper port on the back of the console

5. Kappcy

Kappcy Member

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2015
    United States
    Works for the 8gb one I had. Go for it and find out.

6. SkittleDash

SkittleDash Loading...

Oct 21, 2015
    Skyloft
    I use a 64GB USB and have ruffly 36 games. They all work fine from start to finish with no issues including the Zelda games. (Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword) Even with gecko codes enabled it's very stable.

7. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    flash drives are usually using only a single partition. You don't need to use bootice to partition it.
    it should already be in the correct format (MBR partition table) and formated to the correct format (FAT32).
    if not, you just need to format the partition using your computer's partition format tool. choose FAT32, 32k or 64k/cluster. (I like to recommend 32k, but some users use 64k/cluster for read speed and lag issue)

like said above, flash drives are known for being incompatible.
    sometime it works, but you will not be able to dump a disc to the flash using the USBLoader interface.

7Robins and CJB100 like this.
  8. N7Kopper

N7Kopper Proud lover of a three-inch girlfriend

Aug 24, 2014
    Bear in mind that this isn't a vWii limitation, it's because the cIOS files used to run "backup" Wii games specifically only check USB slots 0 and 1, which are on the back, ignoring 2 and 3, which are on the front. So feel free to plug any USB microphones or Wii Speak or GCN controller adapters or whatever in the front.

Also, be sure to format your storage device with a primary partition, not a logical one. I remember it works better that way, but it's been so long since I set my stuff up, so I don't remember how.

9. memomo

memomo ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nov 30, 2013
    Yes

10. CJB100

CJB100 Programmer, Media Producer, Hardware Repair

May 8, 2016
    United States
    USA
    Most hardware in most situations will not work from the front USB ports when using vWii hacks. It works with Nintendont specifically because it has been coded to do so, but Wii games like Rock Band will not read peripherals like microphones or instruments from the front USB ports, and neither will any Wii game ever use the GC adapter, hacks or otherwise. I am not sure if vWii will normally acknowledge the front ports without hacks for instruments and mics, but I know launching a game from USB Loader GX definitely does not let you use the front ports at all.