Hacking [vWii] Can I use USBLoaderGX with a "normal" USBStick?

Wahrrelasse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I've followed the definitive vWii Guide and was at the USBLoaderGX part, but I don't have a HDD at the moment, so I wanted to use my 16GB normal Stick until I get a new HDD. I set it up just like a HDD using Bootice, but it doesn't work. How can I fix this? I only want to dump Brawl

bobfacemoo

Trophies
XP
Country
I think you can, right now I'm using a basic 64gb USB. Although it seems HDDs are better, sometimes my games just freeze on me (Mainly Mario Party 9) but that's the only issue I have with it until I decide to be bothered to buy a HDD :D

Reactions: MegAmi24

CJB100

Programmer, Media Producer, Hardware Repair
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've followed the definitive vWii Guide and was at the USBLoaderGX part, but I don't have a HDD at the moment, so I wanted to use my 16GB normal Stick until I get a new HDD. I set it up just like a HDD using Bootice, but it doesn't work. How can I fix this? I only want to dump Brawl

USB Flash Drives and sticks have been known to have issues, but I've personally never had any. Make sure you try both USB ports on the back to see which works. You cannot use the ones on the front.

rw-r-r_0644

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Sometimes there are issues with USB following the guide. If anything works, you need to put the USB (normally formatted) in the upper port on the back of the console

SkittleDash

Head Nurse
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I use a 64GB USB and have ruffly 36 games. They all work fine from start to finish with no issues including the Zelda games. (Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword) Even with gecko codes enabled it's very stable.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
flash drives are usually using only a single partition. You don't need to use bootice to partition it.
it should already be in the correct format (MBR partition table) and formated to the correct format (FAT32).
if not, you just need to format the partition using your computer's partition format tool. choose FAT32, 32k or 64k/cluster. (I like to recommend 32k, but some users use 64k/cluster for read speed and lag issue)

like said above, flash drives are known for being incompatible.
sometime it works, but you will not be able to dump a disc to the flash using the USBLoader interface.

Reactions: 7Robins and CJB100

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sometimes there are issues with USB following the guide. If anything works, you need to put the USB (normally formatted) in the upper port on the back of the console
Bear in mind that this isn't a vWii limitation, it's because the cIOS files used to run "backup" Wii games specifically only check USB slots 0 and 1, which are on the back, ignoring 2 and 3, which are on the front. So feel free to plug any USB microphones or Wii Speak or GCN controller adapters or whatever in the front.

Also, be sure to format your storage device with a primary partition, not a logical one. I remember it works better that way, but it's been so long since I set my stuff up, so I don't remember how.

CJB100

Programmer, Media Producer, Hardware Repair
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bear in mind that this isn't a vWii limitation, it's because the cIOS files used to run "backup" Wii games specifically only check USB slots 0 and 1, which are on the back, ignoring 2 and 3, which are on the front. So feel free to plug any USB microphones or Wii Speak or GCN controller adapters or whatever in the front.

Also, be sure to format your storage device with a primary partition, not a logical one. I remember it works better that way, but it's been so long since I set my stuff up, so I don't remember how.

Most hardware in most situations will not work from the front USB ports when using vWii hacks. It works with Nintendont specifically because it has been coded to do so, but Wii games like Rock Band will not read peripherals like microphones or instruments from the front USB ports, and neither will any Wii game ever use the GC adapter, hacks or otherwise. I am not sure if vWii will normally acknowledge the front ports without hacks for instruments and mics, but I know launching a game from USB Loader GX definitely does not let you use the front ports at all.

Hambrew

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
newer flash drive uses a different interface, and the cIOS don't have the necessary drivers. No, it can't be added, there's no more cIOS developers working on Wii hacking.
solution :
use an external HDD
or
find an old flash drive, but it'll freeze and crash often. 50% compatibility is better than 0%, but be sure to keep a backup of your data on it because the partition can be corrupted.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
2.0 are fine. (1.1 is very old, but should work too as all IOS are v1.1 except IOS58/59 which are 2.0)
devs just stopped working on homebrew and don't come here anymore.

Last edited by Cyan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating