Hacking VR2 component broken

Acester

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi all, I was replacing the case on my DS lite, and in the process of unscrewing the screws, I accidentally mistook the VR2 (Variable Resistor) as a screw and "unscrewed it"..it broke the knob part right off, and now the DS's screen is all flickery and it's all messed up.. I need a replacement VR2.

How do I go about doing this? To my understanding the VR2 component is a Variable Resistor, and you can turn it to alter the resistance.. What is the resistance by default? Is it possible to just slap in a regular resistor in the place of it? If I knew the resistance of the "normal" setting, I would do that, however the VR2 unit has 3 solder points on the board!! I don't know what the 3rd point is...

unsure.gif
I'd really appreciate ANY help, I'm a little panicy because the last time I tried to find a resistor in town was very hard... I am CLUELESS where to find a VR!
frown.gif

Reactions: Paroleiro

BlackDave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You must have put a lot of pressure on it to break it off. I did that same mistake but did not break it.

I don't know how you're gonna fix this without the knob. Try changing without the knob?

Atashi

Out of the Loop
Trophies
Website
planetstephanie.net
XP
Country
Canada
You can probably get a replacement at Digikey.com or Mouser.com but you need to know the specs of the original part. They usually have some numbers stamped on them. The other one is probably the same value so if you no longer have the dial bit from the broken one you should be able to read the info off the other one.

The three solder points are there because you have either end of the 'resistor' plus the center point which is from the dial. For example sometimes they have one end at ground, the other end at Vcc and then the dial is used to get the correct resistance/voltage. (Not saying this is the case in the DS just an example).

Those things are very small / surface mount so soldering them is a tricky job.

Good luck.

-Atashi

Acester

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys, thanks for the advice.. I did take a look at digikey, and the actual part is 75 cents but the shipping and everything would add up to around 20 bucks..dumb.

So I scoured around town and I found a hobby shop I didn't even know about, they have a bunch of resistors and capacitors, but no pots. However, I asked the guy there, and he ordered me one! So, I am ordering in a 50k trimpot.. And yes, it looks like a tough soldering job, but I do solder as a hobby and I've done tougher things before. I'll float off the existing pot with excess solder, then try to place the new one on top..

I hope 50k is close to the correct rating..I looked around online and found someone with the same problem, and they figured that the rating was 47k or around there, so 50 should be sufficient...

Wish me luck!! I may post back with pics if I have success, who knows.
tongue.gif

Atashi

Out of the Loop
Trophies
Website
planetstephanie.net
XP
Country
Canada
Good stuff finding someone to order the pot for you. I didn't realize you were in Canada or I'd have said Digikey.ca - though no matter how you slice it there'd still be shipping.

If you're around toronto, there's two other spots I know of. In the west end, Sayal in Mississauga (Matheson & Dixie rd) has a huge selection, and in the east end, the place I think is called Electro Sonic... on Victoria Pk. north of steeles if I remember right. It's been ages though since I lived in the east end.

Anyhow, good luck with the soldering. You might want to use some solder braid to help remove the broken part and clean the board up a bit before you put the new one in.

Cheers!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y23PPkftXIY