Hardware Volume adjust on 3DS XL - disappointed it's a slider

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I don't know about anyone else, but for me one of the best features on the DSi XL that makes it awesome, besides the obvious screen size, is volume control being done by click-index buttons, instead of the usual shit-feel slider. I believe the GB Micro had a similar volume adjustment ... on the micro I'm thinking it was more like a up/down rocker than two buttons, but basically same thing. There's something about that method of adjustment that just feels more durable and of better quality than a wobbly slider. So, I was surprised to see the 3DS XL has a slider for volume adjustment. Bummer. However awesome the rest of the build quality is, that's gonna suck.

Sorry, that's all. Just had to say so.

i am angry about this too, i like the dsi xl volume adjuster, it's much better.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
It's not that at all because I've tried multiple types of headphones. The 3DS just has terrible sound quality.

come again? do you have wax in your ears or something? maybe we should ask nintendo if they will put dr dre beats speakers on the 3ds xl to make it sound better ;-) that would blow some eardrums away.

D

Deleted_171835

It's not that at all because I've tried multiple types of headphones. The 3DS just has terrible sound quality. Some games have pretty good sound (not great) like Super Mario 3D Land while other games like Tales of the Abyss are really hard to hear. In the case of Tales of the Abyss the cutscenes are extremely terrible sound quality and I can barely hear the voices. The same problem with Centipede Infestation (I know this games sucks) can't hear in cutscenes. I don't want to have to play with my headphones on all the time and I don't want to put the 3DS next to my ear just so I can hear what's being said. I didn't have to do that with my DSi, and I don't want to with my 3DS. If they're making the screen bigger they could at least fix the sound issues with it too.
It's not the 3DS so much as it is the software. MGS 3D has some amazing sound quality and is very loud.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
It's not that at all because I've tried multiple types of headphones. The 3DS just has terrible sound quality. Some games have pretty good sound (not great) like Super Mario 3D Land while other games like Tales of the Abyss are really hard to hear. In the case of Tales of the Abyss the cutscenes are extremely terrible sound quality and I can barely hear the voices. The same problem with Centipede Infestation (I know this games sucks) can't hear in cutscenes. I don't want to have to play with my headphones on all the time and I don't want to put the 3DS next to my ear just so I can hear what's being said. I didn't have to do that with my DSi, and I don't want to with my 3DS. If they're making the screen bigger they could at least fix the sound issues with it too.
It's not the 3DS so much as it is the software. MGS 3D has some amazing sound quality and is very loud.
And in contrast SSFIV 3D has absurd sound.

It's all dependent on software for this one.

On topic: I think I prefer buttons. Although not precise, they are easier to control (especially in a crowded place).

Jan1tor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't care if it is buttons or slider, what I do care is if the damn thing gets louder than the 3DS I have now. Hell my sons 3DS is louder than mine, my 3DS volume sucks!

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sliders > Buttons in my opinion.
Those damned buttons. Especially on the DSi XL, I'd find myself in the slightly uncomfortable situation where the current volume is too loud, and one step below is too low (or the other way around).
Plus if I'm in a quiet place and I wanna play, I'd have to start it up and press the decrease volume button like a maniac before the DSi start up sound played. Honestly I like it on the 3DS. It's accurate and placed so that you don't accidentally push it while playing.

Edit: Start a poll. I'm curious.

Coconut

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Cool story bro. It´s a slider, deal with it.

look-at-all-the-fucks-i-dont-give-theyre-just-falling-from-the-sky.jpg

Alanturing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sliders are more accurate, whats more its all digitally controlled so it doesn't matter
the only disadvantage with linear variable resistors is they oxidise over time which results in scratch sound when moving the slider
how ever the 3ds is using them to control digitally, were by a changing restive value gives a particular volume level, much like how analogue sticks work

you get a better degree of 'bit depth' with slider than a binary button

Reactions: 1 person

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
For me it doesn't really matter much, since I keep the volume and 3D on full blast anyway. If I'm somewhere where I have to worry about being too loud, I just use headphones.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
The slider for 3D volume is a very smart move. It's precise, easy to adjust to what you want and nice to test out the varying levels of intensity. Buttons will never provide that.

I'm a bit disappointed that the 3D LED is gone. It makes the system look a bit less "cool" and feels cheap. However, the overall system looks very simple and comfy, which is something I want.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just like the fact that its not all glossy and making smudges and fingerprints everywhere... but i stand by my statement of a sound wheel! (And implementation of a contrast/brightness wheel)

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm torn between the two. My PSP has buttons and it's annoying that there's no setting between the first level of volume and mute. If I'm playing on a night, I want it quiet enough that the missus can sleep but loud enough that I can hear it (earphones are annoying). On the other hand, I have, on occasion, accidentally knocked the slider on the 3DS and that can be just as frustrating.

All of the arguments against buttons could be eliminated, though, by having more levels of volume (e.g. 50) and having the buttons move quickly through those levels. Arguably, you'd need steady hands and micro-movements to be able to fine tune your slider that much. Also, the system could auto-mute if the volume down button were held when powering the 3DS on or opening the screen. So, I think I'd prefer buttons, but only if they were done properly.

HalMotley

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The slider is a DS standard, I use them on my Phat (I still use a Phat) and I would expect one on a 3DS XL. Of course, if the volume isn't high enough then that's a separate issue which would be a direct result from the soundchip used inside the console as the slider is just an interface which allows the user to toggle the volume output from the soundchip.

I think buttons and sliders working in different places, my Galaxy S II and old iPhone 3GS work well with volume buttons due to their portrait form factor and the DS has a landscape form factor and a slider works well considering it's at the front of the device.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sliders are way better than buttons. If I need to suddenly turn the volume way down, I can do that instantly with a slider, whereas with a button I have to either press it over and over or hold it and wait wait wait for it to get down.

But in the grand scheme of things, it's not terribly important.

And the XL does have shit for volume. My original DS is like 10 times as loud.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm torn between the two. My PSP has buttons and it's annoying that there's no setting between the first level of volume and mute. If I'm playing on a night, I want it quiet enough that the missus can sleep but loud enough that I can hear it (earphones are annoying). On the other hand, I have, on occasion, accidentally knocked the slider on the 3DS and that can be just as frustrating.

All of the arguments against buttons could be eliminated, though, by having more levels of volume (e.g. 50) and having the buttons move quickly through those levels. Arguably, you'd need steady hands and micro-movements to be able to fine tune your slider that much. Also, the system could auto-mute if the volume down button were held when powering the 3DS on or opening the screen. So, I think I'd prefer buttons, but only if they were done properly.
Pokemon Mini. Hold C while turning it on and it started muted, it was awesome :P (yes I realize this thread is old as fuck but it was bumped anyway)

Reactions: McHaggis

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one