Bricked Old 3DS XL? Blue and White light come on for 3 seconds then turn off.. No screen No boot nothing..

TightTechTips

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
**FIXED**

So I have a Old 3DS XL that had custom firmware running on it. (Luma v11.0)

It was working fine last night, up until I took the SD card out of it (Yes still on + Yes I'm a rookie) and it froze on the home screen loading screen.
I held down the power button to turn it off.. That was the last time I saw the screen light up.

20221008_234730.jpg

As you can see the blue light is on (At the Bottom) and the white light is on as well (On the Hinge) (wifi?) ...
All the posts, forums and videos I've watched I haven't seen this before.
Please don't mind my $60AUD 3DS it had a broken hinge and it has been super glued but the person who did it let it drip all on the screen and it won't come off..
But it still worked 100% for the past 5 months I've had the device.
It's been modded since I've had it.

The lights only come on for about 3 seconds then turn back off and I can't boot into Luma, Gm9 or Recovery I've tried all the button combos.

To make matters worse the micro SD card that I was using decided to corrupt itself.

I recovered most of the files using a file recovery tool but even after getting all the missing files nothing works.. I think I may have soft bricked it.. but I also think there may be something wrong physically with the device.

The troubleshooting things I've tried already.

1. I've taken the battery out and let the power drain for a reset.
2. I've tried other boot.firm files... Many boot.firm files..
3. I've tried loading into Gm9 and Luma via holding the button combos.. nothing.. No screen doesn't even light up
4. I've taken it apart and looked at the board and can not see anything indicating that it is busted.
5. I do have the NAND files from the initial installation of Luma if that means anything
6. Tried holding the button combos for 15+ Minutes each

I have no Idea what to do I feel like I've tried everything.. to no avail..

Also I'd like to note that the lights fade out not just cut out. So it all looks normal..ish..

The most weird thing is if I hold the select or start button before turning the console on and keep holing the start or select or both once I've pushed the on button the lights stay on until I let the select or start button go then it turns off.. BUT NO SCREEN SHOW UP...

Last edited by TightTechTips,

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Aslong there is no hardware problem on the Motherboard or ribbon has loosened up.
And you tryed everything like batterytrick, checking the SDCard for errors, reformating it and only putting luma on to it. And still cant enter gm9, luma settings and recovery menu. Last chance would be using a ntrboot compatible flashcard to reinstall boot9strap. And then in case reflash a Nand backup or do a CTRTransfer.

Last edited by Sypherone,
Reactions: TightTechTips

TightTechTips

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Aslong there is no hardware problem on the Motherboard or ribbon has loosened up.
And you tryed everything like checking the SDCard for errors, batterytrick, reformating it and only putting luma on to it. And still cant enter gm9, luma settings and recovery menu. Last chance would be using a ntrboot compatible flashcard to reinstall boot9strap.
I will double check all the connections again and might even take the top screen apart and check that if none of the bottom half work. But yeah that is the only thing that I haven't done yet.

Thank you.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am using a brand new one. Went and got a new one today to troubleshoot with :)
Then format it as FAT32 32kb clusters, and do test with h2testw with the "read & verify" option. Make to format it afterwards once it completes the test.
If it passed the test, format it and follow these two guides to put Luma3DS and GodMode9 (just GM9 you can skip the other stuff) on the sd card, and try if you can boot into either Luma3DS Menu (when holding start on boot), or GodMode9 (holding select on boot) on the 3ds.
Otherwise, if it failed the test, then it's faulty and you shouldn't use it.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
and the white light is on as well
As per https://github.com/SciresM/boot9strap/releases/tag/1.4 , white light means "SD FIRM missing, CTRNAND FIRM also missing". That means you skipped copying Luma to your NAND when installing CFW (the newest versions of Luma do this automatically) and that your 3DS cannot read boot.firm from your SD card for some reason. So, nothing too unexpected.

Your brand-new card may not be correctly formatted. Even if it is FAT32-formatted, there may be extra partitions on the card that you have to remove, as noted at https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/3ds-sd-card-format.html . (Formatting with Godmode9 ensures that there is only one partition, but of course that is not an option at the moment.)

TightTechTips

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
20221009_151937.jpg

After reading through the comments it got me thinking! Maybe I picked up a bad SD card!
I returned the SD card and got another one and put all the files that I had on the bad SD card and just like that!

It came back to me!

I would like to thank everyone on the post that helped out with all the suggestions!

I will be marking this as fixed! and making sure that I always check brand new SD cards from now on!

Reactions: CoolMe

TightTechTips

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm glad you found a solution to your problem but I do want for people to know that this all could have been avoided this is literally a step that 3DS.Hack.guide tells you to do

for the life of me I can't understand why people assume it's optional
Oh I must have read past the part where it said take back your faulty SD card! I'll 100% make sure I do it though next time ;)

Khalidah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will double check all the connections again and might even take the top screen apart and check that if none of the bottom half work. But yeah that is the only thing that I haven't done yet.

Thank you.
did it work? im literally have the exact same problem as you and i need an answer

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
did it work? im literally have the exact same problem as you and i need an answer
If you bothered to read the rest of the thread (instead of bumping something that has had no replies for five months), you would already have your answer.

Besides, if you're referring to the problem you described in the other thread you already created, you have an entirely different problem and not "literally the exact same problem".

wps4

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I have the same problem but I got to that point because I tried to delete the hack (which I installed incorrectly) and my console remained that way, although first the charging LED was red and the power LED was blue, now the power LED is white charging and blue ignition, is it repairable?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: