Vita CFW leaked, Coldbird leaves the scene

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by learnin2hack, Oct 1, 2012.

Oct 1, 2012
  1. learnin2hack
    OP

Newcomer learnin2hack Advanced Member

Ireland

2. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    You have got to love scene drama.

From the above link so no one gets all uppity about CFW.

3. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    You mean, Coldbird leaves the scene again.

He already quit the scene before PRO-C CFW was released, he appears to be doing it on a regular basis.

Also, a bit of grammar nazism from me - the plural used should be "people". English is lovely like that.

2 people like this.
  4. gamefan5

Member gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Canada
    ... Ok... so if I get this right, PS vita can run a PSP CFW right?
    Of is it the console itself that's hacked?

5. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Technically, there are instances when "persons" is correct. This is not one of them, but they do exist.

EDIT: http://www.dailywrit...versus-persons/

If you're going to correct people, make sure you're right first ;)

2 people like this.
  6. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    Wrong. The plural of person is persons or people. Where persons lay focus on the indivudals in said group, and people refers to the whole group.

2 people like this.
  7. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    Fair enough, however "people" fits the context better than "persons", I'm afraid. :P "One of those people" or "One of the only people" are pretty much fixed phrases nowadays, using "persons" in this context is an archaism.

[quote name='Oxford's Dictonary']The words people and persons can both be used as the plural of person, but they have slightly different connotations. People is by far the commoner of the two words and is used in most ordinary contexts:
    a group of people;there were only about ten people;several thousand people have been rehoused.

Persons, on the other hand, tends now to be restricted to official or formal contexts, as inthis vehicle is authorized to carry twenty persons;
    no persons admitted without a pass[/quote]

And thus, I stand corrected, and yet partially right. I'll fix the first post to avoid confusion.

1 person likes this.
  8. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    The PS Vita can run a CFW that allows PSP-mode kernel access. This means PSP iso loading and better homebrew, but no Vita only stuff. However, this CFW is never going to be released now unless someone wants to reverse-engineer it. (and the chances of that are about as big as someone removing the AP on Devolution)

9. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    PSP iso loading, fuck yeah. If I can pirate PSP games on the Vita, I have no reason to get a Go now.

10. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    Internal Storage and cheap Memory Sticks.

There, I ruined your plan. :P

6 people like this.
  11. Augusta

Member Augusta GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    This breakthrough never offered anything new.
    Basically importing what can be done on the PSP already.
    Not to mention the PSP is less than half the price of a Vita.
    Let's not forget that you can pick up the majority of PSP/PSOne titles for less than $10.00.

The Vita will never be hacked.
    Don't get your hopes up.

1 person likes this.
  12. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    1. Pfff...
    2. Of course it did - it used a kernel exploit in order to load ISO images.
    3. Of course it will - Vita's User Mode has already been hacked and the hack itself is in active development. It's not "hopes" - it's common sense. Every system can be hacked.

13. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Last I checked kernel-mode was new.

1 person likes this.
  14. zanfire

Member zanfire GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i could care less right now if the vita mode is hack (for a while at least..thing has too few games as it is) but being able to have all my psp games on my vita and not have to repay for some of them...sounds great (plus i can take one thing to my friends place)... that and i can sell my psp to my brother.

just wondering...is that was this specific thing does? Run psp ISOs?

15. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    It was capable of running any compatible PSP binary in Kernel Mode, ISO's included. Pretty much a CFW for the PSP Mode.

16. zanfire

United States
    works for me, thanks. Havent updated in a long time because i havent touched it, hopefully the games still up there....stoked to play MH with 2 analog sticks now.

17. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    You can't, there is no working CFW released. Only an encrypted version for internal use by the hackers got leaked, and they will not release the working version to the public because of this.

1 person likes this.
  18. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    The files are useless regardless of whether you get the exploitable game or not - they're encrypted.

It's a shame that one dumbass wrecks 4 months of hard work on such a versatile exploit. Let's hope that Coldbird will reconsider his decision if he sees overwhelming support.

19. zanfire

United States
    what a bummer. Was thinking im sure sony would patch it fast enough anyway, so when i go to play something like AC Lib eventually it would likely force me to update and make it all pointless.

20. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    Forgive me for branching but since when were M2 Micro memory sticks ever cheap? I only have a 2 gig one because I can't find a 16GB+ one for a sane price. And I looked hard on Amazon and reputable vendors. It's a dead medium. It's the one thing aside from battery life that's making me hold onto my PSP-3000. If I could get a 16GB or 32GB M2 card for reasonable price I'd be quite happy but they're more expensive than Vita memory due to being rare/obsolete and also being used in some cameras(?).

On topic: I wish Sony would just add broader support so I could pay for the games I'd otherwise be as eager as the hardcore pirates to CFW my Vita. There are a couple games they've added from the PSP and PSone Classics library I have paid for, but there are still games from both PSP/PS1 that I haven't bought yet, or would buy again (since I have the UMD version but no PS3) ..I can't get some of these.

I still need my Go for several games that should be ported to Vita by now :/

edit: My point was that Sony shouldn't be dragging ass on expanding the library because they will ultimately lose money from people like me who would pay for these games. And if CFW comes out first, screw Sony.