VC Crash useful?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by froggestspirit, Mar 6, 2015.

1. froggestspirit
    OP

froggestspirit D/P/Pt Demix Guy

Jul 28, 2011
    United States
    For a while, I've known a glitch in a gameboy game, that when it was released on the VC, It could cause a crash that would exit the emulator, and force a system reboot. Would this be helpful in any way to possibly provide an entrypoint for 9.5.23? It's not always a consistant crash, but luckly you can create a restore point before it, and it will not let you access the VC menu if it crashes correctly. I'm also interested in finding out what makes this crash and exit the emulator as opposed to a crash that only locks up the game (where you can still load a restore point).

2. sparky28000

sparky28000 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 20, 2008
    Netherlands
    No

3. WeedZ

WeedZ Possibly an enlightened being

GBAtemp Patron
    WeedZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    Here we go again

Zidapi and puss2puss like this.
  4. puss2puss

puss2puss ♻ThinkGreen♻

Dec 18, 2013
    Canada
    ..again?... ah well this time i wont make a poor rap about this one..i'll just say: hello world!
    :wacko:

5. vahnx

vahnx Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2012
    Canada
    Possibly. I'd contact a dev rather than post here or people will just troll you.

6. froggestspirit
    OP

froggestspirit D/P/Pt Demix Guy

Jul 28, 2011
    United States
    I'm not saying it'd be kernal access, honestly I wouldn't really expect anything more than ARM 11 access if even that, or maybe another solution to inject GB roms

puss2puss likes this.
  7. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    Pretty sure it can be used to get free pokemans.

8. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    If it kicks you back to the home menu with some "the application has crashed" error, it's guaranteed to be useless. If it blackscreens or something, it MIGHT be useful (but still unlikely as you'd need a way to inject whatever data you want as well). I managed to break my Metroid NES VC to the point where it literally crashed as soon as I started the game and even resetting the VC wouldn't fix it at some point by entering random, technically valid codes using a generator program. The only thing that worked was deleting and redownloading the game.

9. WeedZ

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    Not trolling, crash does not indicate a possible exploit. Ever. I don't know why this idea is popular. Yes years ago, you could do a buffer overflow. But that was a particular crash that was known to run unsigned code. That shit doesn't work anymore. These threads are getting old.

10. dubbz82

dubbz82 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2014
    United States

Dev will tell you that in 99.9998 percent of cases out there, crash isn't exploitable. The only reason people keep trolling on posts like this is because it really isn't a viable conclusion that crashes are exploitable...this isn't 1995, there's hardware based protections from this sort of exploit these days..

WeedZ likes this.
  11. vahnx

vahnx Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2012
    Canada
    That's not a good reason to troll.

12. Le Citron Vert

Le Citron Vert Member

Newcomer
    Feb 24, 2015
    France
    Somewhere.
    Maybe we should put this in every page, so people would understand.

WeedZ likes this.
  13. dubbz82

dubbz82 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2014
    United States
    No, however I can certainly understand people getting irritated with what's basically the same post popping up here what seems to be every week or so.

WeedZ, puss2puss and vahnx like this.
  14. godofwrath

godofwrath GBAtemp Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    It sounds very unlikely that this could lead to an exploit, and right now, I think people would be interested in another entry point that already exists.

(For instance, Cubic Ninja as an entry point is very unlikely to get patched out magically, since the devs behind the game are no longer in circulation.)

15. Vulpes Abnocto

Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

Former Staff
    Jun 24, 2008
    United States
    If there were a sticky thread that said this, do you think anybody would read it before posting?

16. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Buffer overflows are still very popular and some are used on the 3ds.

I know this type of thread is annoying but sometimes found bugs can lead to exploits.

They should at least be reported so security researchers can:
    1. recreate the crash
    2. investigate it for a possible (1-5%) chance of an exploitable vector.

It would be nice if there was a designated thread in the 3ds hacking section to collect these bug reports and any errant threads can be merged there.

17. Vulpes Abnocto

Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

Former Staff
    Jun 24, 2008
    United States
    I see a lot of people asking us to merge this post here, merge that post there, merge these threads together et cetera.
    Know that we do not have the functionality to do any of these things at this time. (I've tried)
    However a "So you made your WiiU or 3DS crash: Post how you did it, here" thread might not be a horrible idea

migles and zoogie like this.
  18. Le Citron Vert

Le Citron Vert Member

Newcomer
    Feb 24, 2015
    France
    Somewhere.
    Not everybody, but yes, some people would read it. (At least I hope so.)

19. WeedZ

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    No they're not. the data size of the buffer is checked and validated by process9 and trigger a svcBreak if oversized.

It's a waste of time. there is less then a percent of a percent of a chance. if you crashed and the system forced a reboot, thats a pretty clear indicator that there is no way to exploit it. whatever caused the validation fail would cause it again before any injected cmds could be triggered. When was the last time some random dude found a crash in a game and dev's made an exploit out of it? Never.

People seem to think that when something crashes it just goes 'oh lerd! i don't know what ta do. feed some code, any code. i will run that shit cause i r confused.'. when really it goes. 'um, nope. we're gunna restart to run through validation checks again. press (a). also all your unsaved data is lost, sorry bro.'

i agree with this, then i would have a nice clean list of members to systematically add to my ignore list.

20. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    ctrl-F "buffer overflow" on this page
    http://3dbrew.org/wiki/3DS_System_Flaws
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/restricted-webkit-bug-finder.378725/page-3#post-5293018

This guy is one of the lead dev's on the WiiU kernel exploit team and is primarily what I'm basing my opinion on.