Hacking VBA Save -> G6 Lite Save

Knolly

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As the title says... I've tried two things...

1. Used the converter program and replaced .0, .1, and .2
2. Renamed the sav to .1

And both times the game didn't detect save data. can anyone thing of why this is or what I could be doing wrong?

TheSpade

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If that doesn't work, use U-Disk, highlight the GBA ROM, right click the save file you want to write to (.0), right click on it and select "Write", then select the VBA save.

fatfree

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Not true. All the VBA saves are smaller than the G6 saves. All I had to do was rename it to *.0, and went into the U-Disk manager, and did a "write", and it adjusted the size by itself.

Falkentyne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As the title says... I've tried two things...

1. Used the converter program and replaced .0, .1, and .2
2. Renamed the sav to .1

And both times the game didn't detect save data. can anyone thing of why this is or what I could be doing wrong?

Just rename the VBA file directly. What I do is I rename the .SAV file to both 0, 1 and 2 for the rom on the G6.
Sometimes you may have to go to the game menu on the G6 and choose something like "copy 2 to SRAM or copy 2 to 0, because if there is already Sram data from a previous game session, as soon as you restart the G6, it will copy the Sram and overwrite "0". However if you've played a different game during the last session, 0 won't be overwritten (obviously).

If you want to copy the 0 back to VBA later, you have to trim the rom file, depending on the size. You will have to know a little hex math, and how kilobytes are stored on computers; example: 1k=1024 bytes, 8k=8192 (they are based on powers of 2), 16k=16384, 32k=32768, 64k=65536, etc.

8192 decimal is 2000 hex; for an 8k save that appears as 128k on the G6, to trim it, everything starting at 2000h onward must be "trimmed" off with a hex editor.

I used to know how to convert numbers between systems easily, but I forgot.
I think you have to convert 8192 to binary and then to hex.

But this isn't a lesson on number systems, though
tongue.gif

Knolly

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks everyone, I made a typo, I renamed it to .0 and it still didn't work. I figured it out, kind of...

1. In U-Disk, I right clicked and replaced all three of the saves with the .sav
2. It still didn't read the save from .0 (not sure why), so I used select and did "1 -> Default", and bam, it worked.

More Zoids Saga ftw.

Falkentyne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks everyone, I made a typo, I renamed it to .0 and it still didn't work. I figured it out, kind of...

1. In U-Disk, I right clicked and replaced all three of the saves with the .sav
2. It still didn't read the save from .0 (not sure why), so I used select and did "1 -> Default", and bam, it worked.

More Zoids Saga ftw.

I think the "default" is 0.
Well, it's either 0, or the sram itself...I forgot.
The u-disk readme mentions this.

(although it has the "DS cart-->0" backwards)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.