VBA Save -> G6 Lite Save

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by Knolly, Aug 5, 2006.

Aug 5, 2006

VBA Save -> G6 Lite Save by Knolly at 12:39 AM (1,136 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Knolly
    OP

Newcomer Knolly Advanced Member

United States
    As the title says... I've tried two things...

1. Used the converter program and replaced .0, .1, and .2
    2. Renamed the sav to .1

And both times the game didn't detect save data. can anyone thing of why this is or what I could be doing wrong?

2. fatfree

Newcomer fatfree Advanced Member

Rename the *.sav to *.0

You don't need any program to do this.

3. TheSpade

Member TheSpade GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    If that doesn't work, use U-Disk, highlight the GBA ROM, right click the save file you want to write to (.0), right click on it and select "Write", then select the VBA save.

4. outphase

Member outphase Custom title

United States
    That is assuming the .sav is the appropriate size. the G6 will take only a 128KB for GBA and 256KB for DS saves

5. fatfree

Newcomer fatfree Advanced Member

Not true. All the VBA saves are smaller than the G6 saves. All I had to do was rename it to *.0, and went into the U-Disk manager, and did a "write", and it adjusted the size by itself.

6. outphase

Member outphase Custom title

United States
    ah guess it's changed since last time i used the game manager for save management.

7. Falkentyne

Member Falkentyne GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Just rename the VBA file directly. What I do is I rename the .SAV file to both 0, 1 and 2 for the rom on the G6.
    Sometimes you may have to go to the game menu on the G6 and choose something like "copy 2 to SRAM or copy 2 to 0, because if there is already Sram data from a previous game session, as soon as you restart the G6, it will copy the Sram and overwrite "0". However if you've played a different game during the last session, 0 won't be overwritten (obviously).

If you want to copy the 0 back to VBA later, you have to trim the rom file, depending on the size. You will have to know a little hex math, and how kilobytes are stored on computers; example: 1k=1024 bytes, 8k=8192 (they are based on powers of 2), 16k=16384, 32k=32768, 64k=65536, etc.

8192 decimal is 2000 hex; for an 8k save that appears as 128k on the G6, to trim it, everything starting at 2000h onward must be "trimmed" off with a hex editor.

I used to know how to convert numbers between systems easily, but I forgot.
    I think you have to convert 8192 to binary and then to hex.

But this isn't a lesson on number systems, though [​IMG]

8. Knolly
    OP

United States
    Thanks everyone, I made a typo, I renamed it to .0 and it still didn't work. I figured it out, kind of...

1. In U-Disk, I right clicked and replaced all three of the saves with the .sav
    2. It still didn't read the save from .0 (not sure why), so I used select and did "1 -> Default", and bam, it worked.

More Zoids Saga ftw.

9. Falkentyne

Member Falkentyne GBAtemp Regular

United States

I think the "default" is 0.
    Well, it's either 0, or the sram itself...I forgot.
    The u-disk readme mentions this.

(although it has the "DS cart-->0" backwards)

10. Knolly
    OP

United States
    That's what I thought too... Maybe it had a "no save" thing in the Sram then...