Homebrew RELEASE VBA-next for Switch(works 4.1)

D

Deletedmember448668

VBA is the more well rounded and best supported emulator for Gameboy there is. It's the optimal choice in this situation.
Okay cool. I just feel bad because Jakibaki has been working his ass off, think he should have been included in this project or at least offered to come help

Last edited by ,
Reactions: SkyAeolus

jakibaki

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Am I the only one here who thinks its silly we have two ported GBA emulators in development? Wouldn't it be smart to combine efforts to improve in one? Just seems logical
Well gdkGBA is discontinued and I'm currently trying to add autosave to this emulator so you're in luck :D

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
Man! This emulator rocks! Just coming from Mario Advance 2 and very pleased.
I understand that R2 doesn't do anyting? What about L2? Pressing it seems to makes the sound play faster.

jakibaki

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I submitted a pull-request with an added auto-save feature so people don't have to remember to close the emulator "properly" :)

If anyone wants to try the feature before the author decides if it shall be merged I attached it to this post.

Attachments

• vba-next-switch.nro.zip
    244.5 KB · Views: 226
Last edited by jakibaki,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I've played

- Wario Ware Inc and
- Final Fantasy Tactics

on 3.0.0 - both seemingly run fullspeed without any sound issues.

Save state works.
Analog Stick control emulation works (as well as the digipad).
Screenshot button works (thanks to libnx)

This is instantly better than the retroarch core so far - and might actually lead to me playing GBA games on the system.
Thenk you very much for the effort and time you've put into the port. :)

D

Deletedmember448668

I submitted a pull-request with an added auto-save feature so people don't have to remember to close the emulator "properly" :)

If anyone wants to try the feature before the author decides if it shall be merged I attached it to this post.
Are the save state file extentions the same as your port Jakibaki? Also is rom directory the same?

jakibaki

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Are the save state file extentions the same as your port Jakibaki? Also is rom directory the same?
Rom-directory is just anywhere you want on this emulator (there's a file-explorer with directories). I don't know how savestates are handled but savegames from gdkGBA end with .gba.sav while the ones from vba end with .sav so there's no need worrying about corrupting saves if you're for some reason using both.

D

Deletedmember448668

Rom-directory is just anywhere you want on this emulator (there's a file-explorer with directories). I don't know how savestates are handled but savegames from gdkGBA end with .gba.sav while the ones from vba end with .sav so there's no need worrying about corrupting saves if you're for some reason using both.
So can i just rename the .gba.sav files .sav to and they should work?

jakibaki

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So can i just rename the .gba.sav files .sav to and they should work?
I think that will only work with games that use the flash-memory as saves since I put that part in the beginnging of the file (pokemon for example) and with others it won't work right now.

I might write a tool which splits your .sav file into three seperate .sav files which you can then try to see which one is the right one for this emulator.

D

Deletedmember448668

I think that will only work with games that use the flash-memory as saves since I put that part in the beginnging of the file (pokemon for example) and with others it won't work right now.

I might write a tool which splits your .sav file into three seperate .sav files which you can then try to see which one is the right one for this emulator.
Well sorry that im confused, i just have 2 save files for Golden Sun "Golden Sun.gba.savegame" 33mb and "Golden Sun.gba.sav" 200kb. Not sure which is which. Native save games never seemed to work for me in your emulator for Golden Sun so i was using the savestate feature you implemented. I just want to know if it's possible to use that same savestate with VBA next so I dont lose my progress. If so which files that i stated do i tweak and what do i do? If not, I dont mind waiting for the tool you just said you'd be working on.

ownedlol

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone attempted to try the audio suggestion one user made in the GDKGBA thread? IIRC, you just set the freq to 48K.

jakibaki

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well sorry that im confused, i just have 2 save files for Golden Sun "Golden Sun.gba.savegame" 33mb and "Golden Sun.gba.sav" 200kb. Not sure which is which. Native save games never seemed to work for me in your emulator for Golden Sun so i was using the savestate feature you implemented. I just want to know if it's possible to use that same savestate with VBA next so I dont lose my progress. If so which files that i stated do i tweak and what do i do? If not, I dont mind waiting for the tool you just said you'd be working on.
I'm afraid that the savestate-format from vba is vastly different from the one used in gdkGBA so you'll either loose your progress or have to continue using gdkGBA for this game :(

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Has anyone attempted to try the audio suggestion one user made in the GDKGBA thread? IIRC, you just set the freq to 48K.
The sound freqency is already at 48k and setting it higher doesn't seem to help either.

D

Deletedmember448668

I'm afraid that the savestate-format from vba is vastly different from the one used in gdkGBA so you'll either loose your progress or have to continue using gdkGBA for this game :(

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The sound freqency is already at 48k and setting it higher doesn't seem to help either.
Not a big worry, honestly only had an hour in, so it's not a huge deal. Thanks for letting me know!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: