Homebrew uTorrent DS?

mad maniak

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Edit: to stop all the "torrentz on dsz ar impsibble u noonb!1 lololldflold" comments, I want to note that this topic is no longer about the (possibility of) making a uTorrent application for the DS, but only a uTorrent "remote" for the DS. Thank you.

Would it be possible/is anyone interested in creating such a thing?
I know DS connection is pretty slow, but up to 25 KB/s is possible... also, speed doesn't really matter when you leave it on a night.

It would be great on vacation (in a free-WiFi hotel for example, or camping next to the McDonald's
nyanya.gif
).

But is it even possible? (Technologically speaking.)

Share your thoughts (please!),
MM

PS: I do not endorse software pirating in any way.
yay.gif

Quanno

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have heard it would be possible. But there aren't any coders who want to work on something almost nobody would use because of the speed (i guess)

Sarvesh50

Aye!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
utorrent needs 7 mb ram so this is nearly 2 times what the ds haves as ram also the processor needs to be i got 2.4GHZ procesor it use 2% 0.048 ghz = 48 mhz the procces of the ds is strong enough only there isnt enough ram and also slot ram is not very fast utorrent for the dsi is ok i think that one has 16 mb ram
edit : also the wifi speed of the dsi is greater how much exactly idk

Sarvesh50

Aye!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
ok to dutch

mad kijk the ds is erg traag als je iets via een torrent download zo iemand dat liever via een pc doen aangezien dat de torrents meestal gebruikt worden voor over de 1gb

MaHe

one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
mad maniak said:
PS: I do not condemn software pirating in any way.
yay.gif
I don't think anybody on these forums condemns piracy.
nyanya.gif
(maybe the term you're looking for is endorse?)

Anyhow, as you mentioned, DS' wireless hardware is very slow (only up to 2 Mbit/s, that's 256 Kbytes/s - and that's just a theoretical maximum; realistically, you will only reach speed half that), not to mention a weak CPU and RAM which probably couldn't handle the BitTorrent protocol itself. Now, with DSi, it might be possible, although it's still quite unlikely. Not to mention DSi hasn't been properly hacked yet.
wink.gif

mad maniak

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sarvesh50 said:
ok to dutch

mad kijk the ds is erg traag als je iets via een torrent download zo iemand dat liever via een pc doen aangezien dat de torrents meestal gebruikt worden voor over de 1gb

It would still be useful to download music albums of ~70 MB. As I said, just leave the thing on for a night. =)

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
1) The DS's WiFi is very unstable, and it would be unpredictable how long it could connect for.
2) Due to how it works, it would wear out any storage device prettty quickly. I.e. read-write every few seconds.

A sensible idea, would to be disabling seeding (and increasing that connection) , but that would condone leeching, which I hate.

ShadowEO

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this isn't quite the idea that the OP had in mind but someone could create a uTorrent WebUI client, sorta like what someone did on Windows (Google uRemote), That way users could control their torrents from their DS, see the status and everything while it's downloading on their PC. It could be realitively easy if someone could use PALib's Web Downloading routines and parsing routines. along with finding a way to authenticate using HTTP's Basic Authentication method.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The arcade version is so fun but the ports yikes lol