Hacking Using saves from EZFlash4 on PC or any other emulator

Rune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've had the EZFlash4 for ages now, and its had a bunch of games placed on the SD card that I think I pre-patched with the client. I say "I think" because it was that long ago that I honestly cant even remember how to use the client or whether I patched the roms that I'm currently playing on the flash cart. The firmware is still on 1.750, if that means anything to anyone here.

Anyway, my issue is regarding the save files on the flash cart that hopefully someone here could help me with. I simply want to know how I can take a save from the "saver" folder on the SD card, and use that on my PC with something like VBA. And then hopefully move the save back to the EZFlash4 in the future.
It seems like all the saves created on the EZFlash4 are 8kb in size, which differs from the what VBA creates. So when I try loading it on VBA, it creates a new save (that is 64kb) for my game and rewrites over the 8kb one that came from the EZFlash4. Basically I can't load any EZFlash4 save anywhere besides the EZFlash4.
But on the other hand, I can take a save from elsewhere like VBA, and carry that over to the EZFlash4 just fine.

Does anyone know how I can use these 8kb EZFlash4 saves on VBA? Is there any kind of tool available that could maybe do the conversion?

Last edited by Rune,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am not sure about the newer kernels with the autopatching but if you click file -> import -> battery save it used to do things, pokemon had some issues but cross that bridge as and when.

Rune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I thought about the autopatching in the newer kernels (hence the reason to mention I was on 1.750). But on second thoughts, it shouldn't have any effect on the save file it creates on the SD card, since the end result (whether the rom is patched via the client or the autopatching kernel) would be the same.

I know you can import the battery save on VBA and have tried that method, but had no luck. I find it strange that the EZ4 cart can accept a save from the PC or anywhere else for that matter, but the EZ4 save file wont work on anything else. It seems like when I put any save onto the EZ4, it converts it to its own format, but in order for me to transfer it the other way, I'd need some kind of conversion tool.

There's an online convertor here:
https://shunyweb.info/convert.php
One of the options specifically says it could work with the EZ4 format, except it doesn't actually work when I try. At least not with the one game I've tried, which is Final Fantasy 6 Advance.

I feel like my only option is to get a GBA Everdrive which natively supports all save and rom types without patching, which I imagine would produce save files that work on any other device or emulator without conversion. But the thought of Krikzz putting out a newer X7 model at any moment has prevented me from making the purchase.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over