Using gameboy player without boot disc?

Discussion in 'Nintendo GameCube' started by BenRK, Sep 9, 2013.

1. BenRK
    OP

BenRK GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    So yeah, I'm an idiot (Ok, not THAT much of an idiot, considering I got the base for only $5), I got a gameboy player. You know, one of those devices that turns your Gamecube into PURE AWESOME!!!!!

Anyway, I knew I needed software for it, but I kinda didn't do my research and I didn't realize how expensive some of these discs can get...

BUT ANYWAY! This is a site all about pirac-I mean homebrew. Is there a homebrew method to booting the gameboy player without the disc? I hope there is, probably will be cheaper to get the stuff for the homebrew then a disc it self.

Or, you know... someone who is kind could just... give/sell me the disc...

2. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    There is no homebrew app that enables the GBA player. You'll either need the disc or an GCM/ISO image of that disc to boot with a modded GameCube.

However if you don't have a GameCube that has been modded with a mod chip then it will likely cost you more to get a mod chip and have it installed then to simply buy the disc. Soft mod methods involving Action Replay or SD media launcher will also likely cost you more then what the original disc was worth.So even if there is a homebrew app that enables it, you won't have a way of starting that app.

Either way you're gonna need to plunk done some more cash before you can use it.

3. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    When I realized I could get a Gameboy Player (without disk) for 10$ and that it was 30$ just for the disk as people were price gouging, I spent ~12$ on an XenoGC then 10$ on a GameBoy Player. by using a "backup" of the boot disk, it only cost be 22$ to play GameBoy games on my GameCube. the day price gouging of the boot disk's stops, I will be getting myself an original boot disk. I do not feel bad one bit about doing this as price gouging does not fly with me.

I would go the modchip route as it is cheaper nowadays and has the extra benefit of being a modchip (backups,homebrew from disk)

4. BenRK
    OP

BenRK GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    So where can I find these mighty mod chips?

5. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Sorry to necro this thread, but I'm looking for a solderless modchip for gamecube, or a soft-mod way to use Gameboy Player from either ISO or mini DVD-R.

6. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Solderless modchip does not exist for GameCube. Softmod requires you to own either BBA, SD Media Launcher/Gecko, or cheat devices like Max Drive Pro (all which cost more than modchip).

7. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    Kind of. For a modchip install service you're looking at over $20 total postage both directions. Then parts/labor.

8. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    I do Xeno modchip installations but if you're looking to install it yourself Aliexpress has some chips for $4.

9. Silentsurvivor

Silentsurvivor Banned

Banned
    Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    I bought a Xeno GC a while back for like 5 bucks and soldered it. First time soldering too, my job was pretty shitty but it worked out nicely. The Xeno is quite easy to solder: no wires, just a lay it on the board on the specified place and solder the holes, which are quite big even.

10. Digital.One.Entity

Digital.One.Entity Banned

Banned
    Jan 19, 2015
    United States
    Right Here

How much for a Install in California ?

11. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    I am located in Virginia so you'd have to ship it out to me.

$45 shipped if you're just sending me the drive assembly, and $50 if you mail me the whole Gamecube.

Digital.One.Entity likes this.
  12. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I bought a Gecko SD Media Launcher, and have Swiss installed on it, but every version of the ISO, GCM, BIN, etc and nothing boots up the Player. How can I get the ISO (or variants of) working? I'm using a 2GB SD card as FAT in slot 2, but I've tested slot 1 as well. It's a full-sized card, not a micro. 32KB cluster size. Any tips? Perhaps a sspecific swiss version is required? And is there a way I can autoboot Swiss?

Margen67 likes this.
  13. Extrems

Extrems Member

Newcomer
    Jan 17, 2013
    Canada
    Quebec, Canada
    thaddius likes this.
  14. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Fox Princess

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    You can get Japanese discs from ebay at a reasonable price if your GC is set up to read Japanese discs.

15. Retroloop

Retroloop Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 28, 2015
    United States
    Very impressive project. Looking forward to using this with my GBC speedruns someday. I was wondering if there were any future plans to reduce hardware requirements for this, say using a disk to read a memory card with an exploit to go to the gameboy player interface stored on the card.

16. Extrems

Extrems Member

Newcomer
    Jan 17, 2013
    Canada
    Quebec, Canada
    .done