Hardware Uses for Laptop with Busted Screen?

jamesaa

The Prince of Insufficient Light
OP
Trophies
XP
As per title, i have recently obtained a laptop (Samsung NP-R519-JA02UK) which has a smashed screen.

Now i'm not going to waste time or money fixing the screen, but i cannot decide what to use the laptop for
unsure.gif

Specs are:

Screen size - 15.6 in
Processor - Intel Pentium Dual Core T4300 - 2.1
RAM - 4 GB (note: i've already removed the ram for my two netbooks, it now has mismatched 1GB modules x2)
Hard Drive - 250 GB
Operating System - Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
Optical Drive - DVD Super Multi Dual Layer Writer
Graphics - Intel GMA 4500M

My main ideas are, headless fileserver (i could hook a large external drive to it), a torrent box, a physical extension to my current completely virtual lab network or a media streamer (only need upto 720p, BUT only has VGA out, which my TV does support) Another idea is take whatever parts I can (HDD, ODD, wifi card, RAM) and dispose of the rest.

I have no problems with OS' and am thinking of sticking arch or ubuntu server on it, depending what i end up using it for.

TL:DR
Give me ideas on what i could use this for, no point letting it go to waste just because some muppet broke the screen.

EDIT: typo

D

Deleted-273695

Why not use a cable for a moniter and connect it to the laptop as showing main screen?

jamesaa

The Prince of Insufficient Light
OP
Trophies
XP
ihackedit said:
Why not use a cable for a moniter and connect it to the laptop as showing main screen?

I have no need of another computer for general use, i have plenty of other options for that
happy.gif
I'm basically trying to find a reasonable use for extra hardware.

And i'll be doing that anyway (if only for a short time) so i can easily install whatever OS/software i decide to use. (I can then rdp/vnc/ssh in depending what i end up doing with it)

And while typing this i've just thought of what i may end up doing, use it as an emulator machine, i have a wired 360 controller, i can hook it up to my tv and stick on a bunch of emulators and maybe some older pc games and play away!

Also means i can upgrade my PS3, as emulators were the only thing keeping me on a custom firmware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95eUhuR8_ps