Uses for Laptop with Busted Screen?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by jamesaa, Jun 12, 2011.

Jun 12, 2011
  1. jamesaa
    OP

Member jamesaa The Prince of Insufficient Light

United Kingdom
    As per title, i have recently obtained a laptop (Samsung NP-R519-JA02UK) which has a smashed screen.

Now i'm not going to waste time or money fixing the screen, but i cannot decide what to use the laptop for [​IMG]

Specs are:

Screen size - 15.6 in
    Processor - Intel Pentium Dual Core T4300 - 2.1
    RAM - 4 GB (note: i've already removed the ram for my two netbooks, it now has mismatched 1GB modules x2)
    Hard Drive - 250 GB
    Operating System - Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
    Optical Drive - DVD Super Multi Dual Layer Writer
    Graphics - Intel GMA 4500M

My main ideas are, headless fileserver (i could hook a large external drive to it), a torrent box, a physical extension to my current completely virtual lab network or a media streamer (only need upto 720p, BUT only has VGA out, which my TV does support) Another idea is take whatever parts I can (HDD, ODD, wifi card, RAM) and dispose of the rest.

I have no problems with OS' and am thinking of sticking arch or ubuntu server on it, depending what i end up using it for.

TL:DR
    Give me ideas on what i could use this for, no point letting it go to waste just because some muppet broke the screen.

EDIT: typo

2. pistone

Member pistone GBAtemp Advanced Fan

in your heart...coz secretly you love me !!!!
    Albania
    you can always sell the parts on ebay [​IMG]
    also the server its a great idea

3. ihackedit

Member ihackedit GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Why not use a cable for a moniter and connect it to the laptop as showing main screen?

4. jamesaa
    OP

Member jamesaa The Prince of Insufficient Light

United Kingdom
    I have no need of another computer for general use, i have plenty of other options for that [​IMG] I'm basically trying to find a reasonable use for extra hardware.

And i'll be doing that anyway (if only for a short time) so i can easily install whatever OS/software i decide to use. (I can then rdp/vnc/ssh in depending what i end up doing with it)

And while typing this i've just thought of what i may end up doing, use it as an emulator machine, i have a wired 360 controller, i can hook it up to my tv and stick on a bunch of emulators and maybe some older pc games and play away!

Also means i can upgrade my PS3, as emulators were the only thing keeping me on a custom firmware.

5. jefffisher

Member jefffisher GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    that doesn't seem like an awful computer fixing it wouldn't be a waste of money screens are only like $60