Hacking USB transfer crash caused G6 cart to lose 1GB

KyleCooper

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi everyone. When copying files this morning to my G6DS Real cart, it crashed and became unreachable. The Mini-Loader confirmed that all data has evaporated from my cart. After formatting, it seems to work but I only have 1GB instead of the 2 I had until this morning. Is there anything I can do to get that 1 gig back? Thank you.

g6team

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Have you tried formatting through the console? If not try formatting through the console see if that will fix the problem.

Hold start during boot.

KyleCooper

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
g6team said:
Have you tried formatting through the console? If not try formatting through the console see if that will fix the problem.

Hold start during boot.

Thank you for your quick reply. Yes, I formatted two times by pressing start during boot and formatting from there (I did not try to format any other way, I don't know another way though). It did not help the problem. Is there anything else I can try?

KyleCooper

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
g6team said:
hmm that's odd. What kinda computer are you using?

An IBM X31 notebook. It did not always recognize the drive properly, but then it just didn't and all was well when I put it back. Now that it collapsed mid-copy, the system just stopped recognizing it.

Update: by this morning, the data I have copied yesterday to the G6 card has become erased for an unknown reason. Again I formatted the card and started to copy the system files in Total Commander, which it did but I got the error message that the directory skin1 could not be created on the disk. I tried manually to create the skin1 directory, and I could not do it.
I tried a game and it works, but I don't know until when will it do so. Any kind of help is gladly accepted.

KyleCooper

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
g6team said:
Try installing the firmware by just dragging and dropping it without any software.

I tried copying the system files again, and it started copying the skin1 directory perfectly, but after 33 files out of 45 it said that the disk is full, even though it has nothing else on it but one game (67 megs) and the system directory.

UPDATE: after one day of further testing I can conclude that the cart shows the following behaviors when inserting it into USB:
- the reader does not blink but stays bright blue, the system does not recognise it at all -- this has been usual since I bought the G6DS. Solution was to just pull it out and put it back in again.
- the reader does attempt to read (blinks a lot) and then supposedly fails. On the PC, the automatic play scanner comes up and then goes away. Attempts to open the cart through Explorer or Total Commander fail.
- the reader does open properly but certain files or all files all erased, eg. everything in the NDS directory (possibly as a result of what happened in the previous two instances?). When put back into the DS, the G6DS system does not load and there is a need to format.

I have experienced the same behaviours if inserted into my laptop and if into a desktop PC. After giving it a few hours rest and trying again with formatting and copying, all seemed to be working fine, files were transferable. I tried it out with two games, they worked, I saved. I put it back into my laptop and everything was deleted again from the NDS directory.

I am very sad that my G6DS only lasted half a year. The problem is that even if I had the spare money to buy a new one (in the country where I live, the price of G6DS is equal to one fifths of a basic monthly wage, which is quite a lot), it is no longer available here.

g6team

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I apologize in advance I wasn't able to go online during the weekend. Have you tried changing it? Plug it into the usb burner and charge it overnight. With that said you USB burner will need to be functioning properly though.

KyleCooper

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, since the last time I had to format the card because neither my laptop nor my desktop could read it, I had only been using the desktop to connect the card as there's only one angle from which you can insert the USB. Since then I have had no problems, but I did have an odd but side effect. The save file from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance A2 that had been on the card before it crashed was read by the game when I launched it -- even though the file was not there before and I also formatted the card since then! So I have no idea how the save file could have still been there and survived a full format. Strange, isn't it?

g6team said:
Have you tried changing it? Plug it into the usb burner and charge it overnight. With that said you USB burner will need to be functioning properly though.

Unfortunately I do not understand what I have to do. Change or charge? What is to charge on my USB interface?

KyleCooper

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I left it in for more than an hour, but there was no visible change. Good news is, since I'm using only the desktop to connect the card to the PC I've gotten no errors. Unfortunately, I never got my 1 gigabyte space back.

Also, for some reason the 3.8 system files didn't boot when I tried those, I could only work the 3.7e or 3.7f ones. Odd.

KyleCooper

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I accidentally pushed "Quote" instead of "Edit" before. I'm sorry for the double post.

UPDATE: I've found that some games don't boot that have booted a couple of days before, Space Invaders for example does not boot (gets stuck at the "Loading" screen), it also has no icon in the loader.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER