Is it safe to format sd2vita sd card? It's causing other minor issues too

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully, it's okay and just some data was corrupted. In my case, the theme I'm using, its audio goes off after a few seconds, and only returns if i reapply the theme. Also, games and homebrew are slow to open right after bootup.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If the errorcheck exits without errors because it corrected them, then its good. Ya it take some time depending on the fileamount.

You can format the card on PC without problems. Best move all your stuff to pc, hidden stuff need to be displayed by enable "show hidden folders" in Explorer. Then get zzblank.image and flash it with windiskimager to the drive. It will remove every partition entry, because sometimes there are little partition created by other software wich disturb the vita to correct use the card. Then reformat it and copy your stuff back.

If you put a # in front YAMT.suprx and also yamt_helper it will disable it. Some reported problems with unmounted SDCard by using YAMT when also a sony memorycard is insert. storagemgr has the advantage of a boot order, so it can be set first to check for sdcard ux0 then maybe sony memorycard and load the stuff from it as alternative.
1. do you mean with chkdsk e: /f or chkdsk e: /f /r or chkdsk e: /r, like after doing any of these 3 via Windows Powershell Admin and it goes from:

Corruption was found while examining the volume bitmap.
File and folder verification is complete.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

to:

Windows has found no errors? What I mean is after Windows has made corrections to the file system, it doesn't show the corruption was found message in windows powershell admin.

2. I'm going to do the format the SD card on PC method via a USB multi-card reader and copy everything back. If it doesn't work then I'll try the zzblank.image method next with the Win32 Disk Imager program tool.

3. I've only touched the config.text once or twice and it was adding a game to the config.txt like for example PCSE00261 for it to boot properly, since I deleted the said game, I undid the changes I did to my config.txt and I would regularly go into henkaku settings and press reload taiHEN config and press reboot device, which I assume fixes all plugin issues and resets the config.txt.

I'm using YAMT, I don't know how to remove YAMT, I assume it's just a plugin that can be deleted like the other plugins, but since Idk how to remove it, I won't touch it because Idk how to do it. but apparently YAMT has a known bug, that if the PS VITA goes to sleep, it would show the memory card has been removed message prompting you to restart.

My VITA 1K is already unstable because of my 128GB SD card, I've taken out the 4GB official Sony memory card because it's causing issues with Call of Duty Black Ops Declassified multiplayer.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hopefully, it's okay and just some data was corrupted. In my case, the theme I'm using, its audio goes off after a few seconds, and only returns if i reapply the theme. Also, games and homebrew are slow to open right after bootup.
I had this issue with Ridge Racer USA, the car engine sound wasn't playing, I did chkdsk e: /f, it showed:
Corruption was found while examining the volume bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

I deleted the FOUND.000 folder inside the ux0 folder and re-launched Ridge Racer USA and the car engine sound was back. before this happened I did download all the DLC for Ridge Racer USA, but then decided to delete all the DLC and only install the 9 DLC tracks.

Edit: I'm running h2testw on my 128GB SD card and 1 hour and 28 mins left, my concern is that some of the games and DLC I downloaded from PKGj is corrupt and it's slowly corrupting other files and folders on my SD card too. I did delete the games I downloaded off PKGj and downloaded from another source, but it's still showing the corruption was found in windows powershell admin.

Last edited by aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
chkdsk X: /f checks and corrects filesystem errors (logical errors)
chkdsk X: /r includes f/, wich will also check and correct bad-sectors (physical errors) by restoring readable informtion and remaping bad-sectors

If the result say errors where found and corrected them or doesnt find any error then it OK. If there where errors which couldnt repaired Windows would tell you like a unspecified error occurred.

To h2testw:
To check the empty drive for corrupt sectors with h2testw and perform a full write and read test, which takes lot of time.
  • Because it needs writing test-data to each sector (.h2w files), backup your drive before.
  • h2testw is mainly a tool for identifying fake SD-Cards, it doesn`t repair anything! Run chkdsk /r before, or you might get false positiv errors.
  • Depending on drive speed, it takes ~3h per 100gb drive size to complete.
If the test result without error, i refer to the ps vita hacks guide to build a new SDCard and put the stuff/games again on it, to prevent there are still corrupted files. And check the SD2Vita Adapter for dirt on or inside it, also check the cardslot. Some user reported problems because the Card wasnt correct insert or deep enough. YAMT doesnt need to be reconfigured, it should work as would you insert a secondary microsd with PSVita stuff on it.

Another suggestion:
There could also be wrong order in the config.txt .Or plugins are conflicting. Try this order and the yamt_helper in first position over 0syscall6.skprx. Also disable the other not necessary plugins under *kernel, to check if they have a conflict.
*KERNEL
ur0:tai/yamt_helper.skprx
ur0:tai/nonpdrm.skprx
ur0:tai/0syscall6.skprx
ur0:tai/repatch.skprx
ur0:tai/itls.skprx

Then refresh taiHEN in Vita Configuration -> Henkaku Configuration to take over. Then reboot the system to make the system load them.

Info: To uninstall YAMT run the latest installer.vpk wich should ask to uninstall it. Or just disable it like other plugins and try storagemgr if you think you can do it.

Second info: In this thread godereborn and I helped another guy to setup his PSVita TV from scratch (including rehacking) till the end. Best check it out for some troubleshooting. Its for PSVita TV, but they are same exept the USB-port. So if you like to rehack the console and want to stay on your firmware instead upgrading, hacking, downgrading and hacking again. You can directly stay on your firmware version 3.60 or 3.65. You need to install a offline update file by following this guide.

Last edited by Sypherone,

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
chkdsk X: /f checks and corrects filesystem errors (logical errors)
chkdsk X: /r includes f/, wich will also check and correct bad-sectors (physical errors) by restoring readable informtion and remaping bad-sectors

If the result say errors where found and corrected them or doesnt find any error then it OK. If there where errors which couldnt repaired Windows would tell you like a unspecified error occurred.

To h2testw:
To check the empty drive for corrupt sectors with h2testw and perform a full write and read test, which takes lot of time.
  • Because it needs writing test-data to each sector (.h2w files), backup your drive before.
  • h2testw is mainly a tool for identifying fake SD-Cards, it doesn`t repair anything! Run chkdsk /r before, or you might get false positiv errors.
  • Depending on drive speed, it takes ~3h per 100gb drive size to complete.
If the test result without error, i refer to the ps vita hacks guide to build a new SDCard and put the stuff/games again on it, to prevent there are still corrupted files. And check the SD2Vita Adapter for dirt on or inside it, also check the cardslot. Some user reported problems because the Card wasnt correct insert or deep enough. YAMT doesnt need to be reconfigured, it should work as would you insert a secondary microsd with PSVita stuff on it.

Another suggestion:
There could also be wrong order in the config.txt .Or plugins are conflicting. Try this order and the yamt_helper in first position over 0syscall6.skprx. Also disable the other not necessary plugins under *kernel, to check if they have a conflict.
*KERNEL
ur0:tai/yamt_helper.skprx

Then refresh taiHEN in Vita Configuration -> Henkaku Configuration to take over. Then reboot the system to make the system load them.

Info: To uninstall YAMT run the latest installer.vpk wich should ask to uninstall it. Or just disable it like other plugins and try storagemgr if you think you can do it.

Second info: In this thread godereborn and I helped another guy to setup his PSVita TV from scratch (including rehacking) till the end. Best check it out for some troubleshooting. Its for PSVita TV, but they are same exept the USB-port. So if you like to rehack the console and want to stay on your firmware instead upgrading, hacking, downgrading and hacking again. You can directly stay on your firmware version 3.60 or 3.65. You need to install a offline update file by following this guide.
Thank you for your help, after formatting my SD card by plugging it into my laptop via a USB multi-card reader, copied my backed up contents back onto my SD card, everything is working fine:

-bubbles are still in the exact same place
-upon booting my VITA 1K, launching hencore2, it didn't restart my VITA or show the C2-12828-1 error code
-my homebrew apps like vitadeploy, pkgj, autoplugin 2, vita save manager, better homebrew browser work fine
- games, updates and dlc are still there and work fine
- running chkdsk e: /f, it doesn't say the corruption was found while examining volume bitmap message anymore
- plugins work fine too,

My SD card past the h2testw test and it was fine:
Capture.PNG

I'm going to stick with YAMT for now, I didn't need to setup YAMT after formatting and copying stuff back onto my SD Card, I'm scared to mess with my config.txt as I'm not sure what to do with it.

I'll check out that thread you linked as I read the 3ds, wii u and ps vita threads too for information regularly, when I bought my VITA 1K it was already on 3.65 iirc, I just updated it to 3.74 via settings and then modded it with enso 3.65 quick install and with h-encore.

I also checked the link you gave me and I know that website it showed me how to setup USBhelper launcher for wii u games. but thanks for linking it.

Fingers crossed that after playing for a day or two and running chkdsk e: /f, that the corruption was found while examining volume bitmap message doesn't show up anymore. I'll keep the other methods you guys showed me in mind incase I need to use it in the future.

Reactions: Sypherone

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thank you for your help guys, it's working fine now after formatting my SD Card on my laptop and copying the backed up contents back onto the SD Card.

The minor issues are also gone, well hopefully, hencore2 doesn't restart my VITA 1K or show the c2-12828-1 error code anymore after a reboot and the memory card has been removed message hasn't appeared after my VITA 1K enters sleep mode.

Edit: copied everything inside the SD card even hidden files like the app folder, it doesn't show up if you don't uncheck the Hide protected operating system files [Recommend] and Hidden files and folders is set to Show hidden files, folders, and drivers via File Explorer Options.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm still getting the error when the PS vita enters sleep mode or after a restart or reboot it would say the "Memory card has been removed" message and ask me to restart.

Apparently I don't need to launch hencore2 app after every reboot because I have Enso quick 3.65 install.

chkdsk e: /f says it's fine and there's no errors, maybe my SD2VITA 5.0 white adapter is going bad and I need to buy a new one? If I buy a new SD2VITA 5.0 white adapter, I can just put my 128GB SD SanDisk inside it and continue to use it like normal right?

well at least formatting, re-copying everything back onto the SD card got rid of the corrupt data on my SD card.

TL;DR: corrupted data on SD is gone, but still having the memory card has been removed error.

Edit: it's just the memory card has been removed message when my Vita 1K enters sleep mode, I'm going to try the StorageMgr, but I need clarification on a few things:
1. If I completely remove YAMT, will all my games, updates and DLC on my Sd card be gone?
2. The PS vita hacks guide StorageMgr section says I need to delete 4 files from the ur0:tai folder: yamt.cfg, yamt.skprx, yamt.suprx and yamt_helper.skprx. once I delete these files, I just proceed to do the StorageMgr tutorial guide right?
3. After doing the StorageMgr method, I can just copy everything back onto the SD card and use it like normal?

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Try this order and the yamt_helper in first position over 0syscall6.skprx. And verify that the this *.skprx files are located in ur0:tai/. And disable temporary the other not necessary plugins in the *kernel section below itls.skprx. To check if the vita works flawless by only using them, which it should normaly.

*KERNEL
ur0:tai/yamt_helper.skprx (or storagemgr.skprx)

If still problems appear caused by sleep mode with Yamt and the memory card error. By using a sony memory card, reformat it by the system settings (It might be used as fallback storage). Uninstall and reinstall Yamt or try storagemgr.

EDIT:
1. If I completely remove YAMT, will all my games, updates and DLC on my Sd card be gone?
YAMT and storagemgr are manger to mount the storage devices that they can be used on the Vita. They do nothing with the files on the storage medium.
And yes, just remove them and follow the guide.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Try this order and the yamt_helper in first position over 0syscall6.skprx. And verify that the this *.skprx files are located in ur0:tai/. And disable temporary the other not necessary plugins in the *kernel section below itls.skprx. To check if the vita works flawless by only using them, which it should normaly.

*KERNEL
ur0:tai/yamt_helper.skprx (or storagemgr.skprx)

If still problems appear caused by sleep mode with Yamt and the memory card error. By using a sony memory card, reformat it by the system settings (It might be used as fallback storage). Uninstall and reinstall Yamt or try storagemgr.

EDIT:

YAMT and storagemgr are manger to mount the storage devices that they can be used on the Vita. They do nothing with the files on the storage medium.
And yes, just remove them and follow the guide.
Note: I removed the official Sony 4GB memory card after using it when modding my VITA 1K and I haven't formatted it yet,

Since I backed up everything to my laptop HDD D drive, I should be fine if something goes wrong with editing the config.txt right? I'm nervous and anxious about editing the config.txt because of brick risk, but since you insist on diagnosing it, I'll give it a try and tbh I was hoping I can skip on editing the config.txt because it's risky and just do redo YAMT/storagemgr.

So there's 3 tasks you want me to do:
1. remove the unnecessary plugins > edit the config.txt as you suggested > reload taiHEN config.txt > reboot device and from here check if the memory card has been removed message appears or not during sleep mode.

2. if the memory card has been removed message does appear either after a reboot, restart or sleep mode > insert the official 8gb sony memory card with the Vita turned off > format it via system settings app > reinstall YAMT > or try StorageMgr.

are you sure it'll only format the official sony 8gb memory card and not the SD card? because in the system information via the system settings app, it's showing my 128GB SD card as the memory card instead of the official sony 8gb memory card.

I just inserted my spare official sony 8gb memory card into my VITA.

Maybe it's because I removed the official sony 4gb memory card that i used when modding my VITA 1K and that's why it keeps showing up the the memory card has been removed message? iirc it still showed the memory card has been removed message even though both my SD card inside the SD2VITA adapter and official sony 4gb memory card were inserted in my VITA 1k after modding it.

3. reinstall YAMT > or try StorageMgr if the memory card has been removed error still happens with YAMT.

I'm not doing anything yet until I've confirmed that it is safe to do so, sorry I'm super paranoid and extremely anxious, I'm still really hesitant to edit the config.txt.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If your that kind of nervous, anxiousand ya paranoid, think about if a hacked vita is really the right thing for you. There will be future cases and you will just stuck. Its not...hey yo.. gbatemp is there, google.. youtube some video... As you see, you will stuck with your simplest problem, like you had already enso on 3.65 installed and still trying to run h-encore^2 which is for fimware 3.68-3.74 . And as suggestion, its a try and error process to understand.

You are not going to brick the vita if you change something in the config.txt, because this is a config file extra for customisation. Backup your current config.txt in another location, the sony SDCard is perfect to create a backup to restore your system. And In case there goes something wrong, you can reset this config.txt by relaunching the henkaku installer over the webexploid and holding R. In difference to the config.txt, there exists a main configuration file where you have never to touch anything, because THEN you will brick!

To 1. You dont need to remove the other plugins, just set a hash "#" (content in this line has to be ignored) in front the line, like you see in other lines and the plugin is disabled.

To 2. There will be only one device mounted as ux0 at one time. In your case its the SD2vita adaper or the memory card. So just remove the SD2Vita adapter, insert the memory card and it should show up in settings wich you can format then (maybe to use it, you need to set it manually inside settings/YAMT). Then create the basic files on the memory card like you did for SD2Vita. And use it as mainbackup/fallback to restore your system anytime by putting important files and apps on it.

To 3. Yes. If you still got your errors e.g after sleep with or withour memory card insert, reinstall YAMT or if still errors appear try storagemgr.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-