• Likes 48

norbyte

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The changelog is just fine :
Added NAND emulation to redirect Wii NAND access to SD or USB. Default NandEmu path set to sd:/nand/ (Requires d2x cIOS v7 alpha or later).

And it's already possible to select the device from the GUI :

Click on the middle button to access that device and partition.

if you edit the config manually, it's not usb:/ but usb1:/ for the first partition, usb2:/ for the second partition, etc. up to 8.
My bad. Sorry. It's unbelievable that I've missed the button. xD I've already edited the config manually before your post and - of course - it crashed.
Please don't call me newbie, I'll show you, I'm not one of those. :D

B

BryceOne

Bryce, tell me if your bootmii extracted dump is working.
Like I said on googlecode, for me it worked only with this dump, no "clean NAND" created manually worked with the loader while they are working fine in Sneek.

I used Sneek to first boot the clean nand, so maybe sneek creates files it needs but omit some files in the process, or doesn't name it correctly.
I tried the bootmi dump. On my USB HDD, it still had the same problems, but tested it on my SD card and I got 2 games to work out of 10.

ClockWorK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate to add to the long list of user questions in this thread. I know devs are busy. But nonetheless, I shall.

Has anyone gotten USB Loader GX (or any loader) to work with a USB HDD using a GPT partition instead of MBR? Or any partition greater than 2TB? I see GPT support mentioned in the ChangeLog, but haven't found much besides that.

(for reference, GPT is the partition table type used on drivers larger than 2TB.)

For my 3TB Seagate, GX crashes with DSI exception. Tried removing config files. Same crash. Tried formatting as WBFS instead of NTFS. Same crash.

Using d2x v7a. Thx.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes, GPT is supported and HDD >2TB (with 4k clusters) too.

Some drives may not be compatible (often when they have a hidden crappy partition which acts like a CD drive).
Does it crash only with this HDD?

Do you have multiple partitions or only a big one? (it shouldn't matter, just curiosity).

ClockWorK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I previously used a 2TB drive with no problem, but I had it set up as a small FAT32 partition (for HomeBrew, GX, etc), and the rest NTFS. Now with the 3TB, I've been trying an SD card for Homebrew and GX, and the whole drive either NTFS or WBFS (neither worked).

When I tried WBFS, I used WiiBackupManager to format the drive. It formatted and I transferred a game to it. But neither loader was able to read the drive.

I'm not aware of any weird partitions on this drive. Aside from the obvious GPT. No weird CD partition with drivers/etc.

It's one giant 3TB partition. Tonight, I'll try two partitions, each less than 2TB.

CFG can see the drive, but lists it as unknown type (EE, which i guess is a byte code on the partition table to identify GPT). CFG looks like it might let me format the drive through there, but I don't know what that would do.

I'd love to get this thing working. Any recommendations or ideas, I'll be happy to test and report back.

Thanx for the response. Even if my issue isn't solved (yet), it's nice that someone saw it and replied.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
WiiBackupManager should correctly write the Magic (partition code) in the GPT table, I already asked the developer and said it was doing it.

There are other reports on the forum about 3TB+ drives working with USBloaderGX.
Dexter even helped to add compatibility to the loader.

Though, most USB3.0 have random results (seagate seems to work better than WD on the Wii).
If your drive is USB3.0 and you can use a native USB2.0 (through a connector change), then use it instead.

If your drive is already usb2.0 then it should work :(

Does it crash on load when detecting the drive, or when listing the games?
Did you try to plug it after launching the loader? (there's a count down for slow wake up drives)

ClockWorK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's USB 3.0. I've been trying to load GX with the drive connected. It crashes detecting the drive (immediately, no count down). I never see the UI. Just the loading screen and then the memory dump. I will try loading GX without a drive attached.

The weekend is coming up here and I'll have lots of time to muck with it.

I'll try to find some other posts regarding 3TB drives and USB3 and do some more research. Can you confirm that the drive needs to be formatted as WBFS?

magicmark

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello

Please accept my apologies for my lack of knowledge - I am new to all of this.

I bought a secondhand wii off eBay for the children for Christmas which came with HBC installed and USB Loader GX appearing as a channel on the main menu. There was no SD card required but a HDD was included which contained backups of many games. All was working perfectly.

Then in a moment of madness I decided to update the USB Loader GX via the Global Settings and a wifi internet connection. Once I did this when I clicked on the USB Loader GX channel I got a black screen which after a few seconds returned to the main wii menu.

Much scurrying on the internet I thought in a second moment of madness that perhaps reinstalling would be worth a try.

I took an SD card and copied across 'The ultimative All-In-One package for USB Loader GX v2.3 (boot IOS 249)' popped it into the machine and got USB Loader GX to work on the HBC - works ok but no cover images appearing although I am guessing this is because they are stored on the HDD rather than the SD?

I then decided that the next step would be to create a channel on the main wii menu so that the children don't have to go into HBC. I copied across the latest forwarder 'USB Loader GX-UNEO_Forwarder_4_0_AHBPROT.wad' and went into HBC and using Wad Manager selected IOS249 as the IOS version and wii SD slot as the source device and selected the fowarder wad. When I returned to the main wii menu the USB Loader GX icon was appearing as a channel. However, when I click on it I have the same problem as before i.e. a black screen and then returning to the main wii menu.

Ideally what I want to achieve is the USB Loader GX running from the HDD with no SD card in the slot and cover images showing - as it was before I updated.

Can someone help me please as I have spent all day on the internet reading various articles on how to do this but am now confused and at a loss.

Many thanks in advance for any advice and apologies for my lack of knowledge.

Mark

The revision you are using: v2.3 IOS249 (Rev 17)
The cIOS you are using: IOS38 v15.27 (according to the HBC)
Your Wii version/region: Ver 4.1E

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's USB 3.0. I've been trying to load GX with the drive connected. It crashes detecting the drive (immediately, no count down). I never see the UI. Just the loading screen and then the memory dump. I will try loading GX without a drive attached.

The weekend is coming up here and I'll have lots of time to muck with it.

I'll try to find some other posts regarding 3TB drives and USB3 and do some more research. Can you confirm that the drive needs to be formatted as WBFS?
USB3.0 is the problem then, the Wii is not compatible with USB3.0, but the drives should "downgrade" themselves to use USB2.0, it's not always working fine.
If you can use an USB2 connector then use it instead.

No, it doesn't need to be formated WBFS.
You can use NTFS.
Or make two FAT32 partitions (FAT32 is possible up to 2.2TB)

@magicmark:
install this (using HBC) : http://wiibrew.org/wiki/IOS58_Installer

You won't need the forwarder or the SD card anymore.
It will work like previously, all stored on HDD and launching the USBloader from the Wii menu.

Move the forwarder channel on the latest page of the Wii menu if you don't know how to delete it so the kids won't launch it by mistake.

Explication: Your Wii is using an old version (4.1) which didn't have all the required files for the new USBloader and channels.
Install IOS58 which you are missing and it will work fine again.
Do not update your Wii to have all the files, you just need to install IOS58 manually, it's the only missing file.

Reactions: 1 person

magicmark

Trophies
XP
Country
@magicmark:
install this (using HBC) : http://wiibrew.org/w...IOS58_Installer

You won't need the forwarder or the SD card anymore.
It will work like previously, all stored on HDD and launching the USBloader from the Wii menu.

Move the forwarder channel on the latest page of the Wii menu if you don't know how to delete it so the kids won't launch it by mistake.

Thank you for your help.

I have installed IOS58 and using WAD Manager 1.7 via HBC installed the forwarder dol to create a channel on the main wii menu (I had deleted the original).

All is working now.

My only question is whether this was the correct way to create a channel?

Thanks
Mark

ClockWorK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to clarify my previous statement, the loader makes it past "Initialize USB device" and I do see "Loading Config Files" flash just before it crashes.. I'll try messing with my config (which I swear I renamed). Maybe something is defaulting to look for settings/covers on the USB device...?

I do feel that the drive is being initialized and accessed correctly, but not being read properly. I think that's why CFG can read the partition table, but doesn't know what to do with the GPT stuff.

I understand there's a couple of peculiarities with the new GPT drives and USB 3, so I may just be at a dead end..

Thx again!

Update:

Formatted the drive through CFG (as WBFS). Now both GX and CFG will run. CFG identifies the drive as roughly 16 TB in size. Probably due to not reading the partition table correctly.
Went back to Wii Backup Manager. It still showed a game I added before the Format in CFG. I removed that one, and then transferred 2 games.
Neither loader sees the games. Both treat the drive as empty. Better than crashing. So I still think it's a partition/format problem.
Transferred a game through GX. Loaded it no problem. Went back to windows. Wii Backup Manager doesn't recognize the drive as WBFS.

My guess is CFG formats the drive to WBFS without taking the GPT into account. WiiBackupManager on the other hand probably does, and is now trying to read a scambled partition table.

Final Update:

I found a super secret partition lurking on the drive using DISKPART. Then I deleted it. Re-partitioned everything as a big 3TB NTFS. Transferred a game via WBM. GX fires right up. So, you were right all along. I'd never come across a hidden partition like this before. You guys rock. I appreciate your time and effort. Great work.

dimok

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ClockWorK
GPT is supported by USB Loader GX and tested by me with a drive smaller than 2TB but that shouldn't matter. Also drives with sizes greater than 2TB are supported and tested by dexter. The support for drives of sizes greater than 3TB is limited to a physical sector size greater than 512 bytes per sector though. With a physical sector size of 512 bytes per sector the loader will only be able to use the first 2 TB.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
@ClockWorK:
I'm glad you found the culprit ! (hidden crappy partition)

The symptom you had "still showing old deleted games" is also caused by using multiple partitions. I had the same problem the first time I used an USBloader, my HDD was formated as "Extended partition" and inside there were two logical partitions.

WBFS is not compatible with extended/logical partition, you need to have primary partitions only. (you can create up to 4 Primary partitions per disk)

@magicmark:
Yes, it's the correct installation process.
Though, if you use the forwarder channel (UNEO), you will need the application (/apps/usbloader_gx/boot.dol) on SD or USB.
If you want to be free from using the external boot.dol, you can use the Full Channel (UNLR) which install the application in the Wii memory, the HDD will be then used only for storing games, covers and settings.

It's up to you. both method are identical, it's just easier to update the boot.dol on an external media if you want to use another version.

Hey, I have a 4.3U with SSBB loading on USB Loader GX- how do I get Brawl+ working?
You could try testing out the latest beta of USB Loader GX. It says .GCT load fixed in the changelog.
the .gct is fixed in r1130 because it was broken in r1128 and r1229 ONLY.
It's working fine with v2.3

For help with Brawl+, maybe you can check Brawl+ forum and website?
I guess you will need to use a file called gameconfig.txt either in SD:/codes/ or at the root of your SD card.

DespizingU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What files do I need to create on SD card? The download only comes with an app folder. So the loader won't save any cheats or download any images.

I'm guessing I create a usbloader_gx folder on my root, but what folders should I create inside that one?

I have no idea how they wouldn't include a folder that goes on the root like other usb loaders provide...

EDIT: Actually, it looks like I'll need these folders:

SD:/config/
SD:/images/
SD:/images/disc/
SD:/theme/
SD:/codes/
SD:/txtcodes/

Does this look about right?

P.S. I just checked and my SD already has an images, theme, txtcodes and codes folder on it. So wouldn't the loader save cover art and cheats?

ClockWorK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ClockWorK
GPT is supported by USB Loader GX and tested by me with a drive smaller than 2TB but that shouldn't matter. Also drives with sizes greater than 2TB are supported and tested by dexter. The support for drives of sizes greater than 3TB is limited to a physical sector size greater than 512 bytes per sector though. With a physical sector size of 512 bytes per sector the loader will only be able to use the first 2 TB.
So, if my drive uses 512 byte sectors, I would need to create two partitions and use the "multiple partitions" option in order to exceed two terabytes?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
@DespizingU:

You shouldn't guess (it was wrong).

You says it's not provided "like other USBloaders" but in fact it is provided correctly.
Extract the apps folder as it is.

SD:/apps/usbloader_gx/boot.dol
SD:/apps/usbloader_gx/META.xml
SD:/apps/usbloader_gx/ICON.png

That's all you need.

All other files will be automatically created and download (according you have Wifi on your Wii) by using the integrated user interface.
To download covers press 1 on the Wiimote, to download themes go to the settings > themes downloader menu, to download cheats then just before launching the game go to settings > Ocarina, choose the cheats create the gct file, go to loader > enable Ocarina.

Do not create any other folder manually.

@ClockWorK :

Yes, if your drive use 512 bytes per sectors, you will need to use two partitions.
And you can store only 500 games per partition.
So if you make 2 partitions (2TB + 1TB), you will waste your space because each partition can hold only 500 games.

In fact it was an old limitation of WBFS.
WBFS used the sector size as base to store number of games (512bytes = 1 bytes per games + 8+4 bytes for other things)
so you could store only a maximum of 500 games per WBFS partitions.

WBFS format is now compatible with drives with physical sector size >512bytes (you need to format with compatible software, like WiiBackupManager, or wit/wtt), or with "virtual" sector size > 512bytes on a physical 512byte sector size drive (it uses 4 sectors to store it).
It will allow you to store more than 2000 game (with virtual) or 4000 games (with real one).

I think it's better to use two FAT32 or NTFS partition, you will not waste spaces.

dimok

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Cyan
The loaders internal format function for WBFS partitions was modfied. If the partition formated is > 500gb the loader formats it with a virtual sector size of 2048. This allows people to store more games.

@ClockWorK
If your drive has a physical sector size of 512 bytes per sector there is no way to use the upper 1TB. Everything above 2TB is not accessable by the usb handler. In other words splitting it in two partitions will not help. A good idea would be to create a 2TB partition as first partition to get the most of the usuable size and limit the loader to not try to access the upper 1TB because if that happens it will result in an overflow of the 32 bit sector offset value which will then be one of the lower sectors (0xFFFFFFFF + 1 = 0 in 32 bit on C/C++). Meaning you will overwrite other sectors of the partition and damaging data. So if you have a physical sector size of 512 bytes per sector it is strongly recommended to limit the first partition to less than 2 TB and use the rest for some other stuff than Wii since no current Wii implementations are able to use it. You can check the physical sector size in many partition manager software (don't mistake it for cluster size and the size in the "Windows Formater", physical sector size is not changeable).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: The animators knew what they were doing.