tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Logan said:
I realise that as standard when pressing the HOME button. But the image above shows the charge levels on the loader screen, not on the exit menu after pressing HOME.
At the very beginning, the loader looked like that. Batteries were shown at the bottom and no sortbar. But the changed these things.

Logan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tj_cool said:
Logan said:
I realise that as standard when pressing the HOME button. But the image above shows the charge levels on the loader screen, not on the exit menu after pressing HOME.
At the very beginning, the loader looked like that. Batteries were shown at the bottom and no sortbar. But the changed these things.

Ahh ok gotcha, thanks for clearing that up
wink.gif

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I think it has the most views of all topics.
3 times more posts and it will become the topic with the most posts
toot.gif

[/offtopic]

Anyone an answer on a Q I asked:
Why do we need 'Block IOS reload'? Isn't alt dol loading for that?

DocNsanE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ChokeD said:
Yeah, I understand, I said it was an awesome feature, but let's say you didn't have the option to use this feature for the sake of it could possibly compromise the speed or stability of said app, lets just say...right. I'll bet you would know or would have a dang good idea of what you and your friend could play together without the db file to reference. I myself have 4 kids and 2 wii's with this installed and I've never, ever needed it to choose what my kids, friends and I are going to play, most of us learn about what the game is fully about 3 months before a game comes out in say a Game Informer or some other mag.

I see your point and respect it, but don't prefer it to the compromise of discussed issues it has presented in past posts.

I am not trying to down on somebodies efforts here, I'm just letting my voice be heard. I know someone has put a lot of effort into it and I respect that. It does serve a purpose for some people and that's all it takes is for 1 person to have a use for it to be worth while. It's just not my perogative and I'm not going to use it cause it causes my system and others to have issues.

Respectfully,
ChokeD

You also raise some good points. Perhaps the best solution would be to add an option in the config to set the wiitdb integration to "auto | manual | disabled". I added the manual there because currently, from what I understand, it's supposed to auto-update when you select Update All or if you download covers (maybe wrong on that last one), but it hasn't been working for me lately (haven't tried to troubleshoot so I haven't reported a bug). Although when you press 1 it would be nice to see a "Download game info" as well as the options for downloading covert art.

Cheers!

DocNsanE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
giantpune said:
I think there is something known as a signal to noise ratio. The signal is what we want. It is useful feedback about our loader. Noise is all the other stuff... " I got a code dump but i can't reproduce it and i don't know what I did", "The loader cussed at me and I have no sense of humor." , "I didn't read the readmii, but I can't figure ___ out", "How to make _____ game work". Noise is also asking a question that you can figure out the answer to all by yourself.

Also, if you get a code dump and you are unwilling to try to figure out what you can do to get it to stop (try another drive, boot with a different method, etc) then it is really hard to fix it. And since I'm lazy and I can't make the issue happen on my Wii, I put it in the "I don't care " pile with all the other noise. If you don't like a feature that we have put in, then don't use it. If you have a good reason that it shouldn't be there, please let us know.

We try to respond to the signal that we get, but when there is too much noise, we just ignore everything.

Pune has an excellent point here -- they can't be expected to address every little issue every single person is posting on this thread. That's why I feel that if you are going to post a bug to this thread and you want it to be considered for resolution, at the very least you have to provide the revision you are using, which cios and what version, detailed and complete set of steps to follow in order to be able to successfully reproduce the error, and a description of the bug itself.

We should all be using a template to report bugs because it would make it a lot simpler for the coders to identify bugs that should be considered for investigation and filter out the noise. Also, as a coder myself, I know that it is virtually impossible to fix a bug if you can't reproduce it yourself.

I propose something along the lines of:

Bug Report

USB Loader GX Revision:
cIOS and version:
Severity (L | M | H):

Description of the Problem:

Detailed Steps to Reproduce the Problem:

Steps Taken to Troubelshoot the Problem:

Severity should be:
Low (L) | Medium (M) | High (H)

Low: There's a bug, but it doesn't prevent me from doing anything.
Medium: There's a bug, in some cases I can't accomplish something, in others it works, or there is a work-around that always works.
High: There's a bug and it is impossible for me to accomplish a specific task, no matter what I've tried.

DocNsanE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ChokeD said:
sweenish said:
one would infer that my "(or when A is pressed)" means that i know full well how to navigate the loader without the remote pointed at the screen. but this is gbatemp, where explicitly stated items get misunderstood and borked daily, and inferences might as well not have been posted to begin with.
hmm, yeah.
blink.gif

I like the idea of the disc being stopped until clicked upon.

I agree as well. I like the spinning disc animation, but it would potentially make more sense to have the disc spin when A is pressed.

NeoRame

Trophies
Website
www.neorame.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
anteroid said:
I wonder why the ugly side of all NEW PLAY CONTROL games is being used?
The flip side of the cover blends in with the other games much better.

Using Pikmin 1 as an example. This is the normal type cover currently in use

This is the flip side of the same cover, the type that all of us would rather have

very easy answer: the first one is the ORIGINAL front cover!!!! if you buy the game you will see this one!!!

DocNsanE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
drchink said:
i have dead rising on my hardrive but its not downloading the disc and box art. i think it said the site was down? cant remember rite now but it could hav also said not found ahha. wat is the site that it downloads it from?

Are there any modderators on this forum? Perhaps this type of question which is covered in the readmii and elsewhere in the forums should simply be deleted by moderators in an attempt to filter out some of the noise that Pune was referring to.

however, perhaps the ReadMii could be expanded in section 2c to explicitely state that GX gets all of its "dlc" from wiitdb.com. If we make the ReadMii as detailed and explicit as possible, hopefully we'll see less questions with known answers. Don't get me wrong: the ReadMii is already fantastic, just a few things could be explained with a little bit more detail, but overall it's a great source of information.

IkariKun

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all
Im a former Backup Luncher User and dont use my wii for a long time (so long that i forget what dol and cios are)

Any way i got myself a wiimotion plus and im rely trill to get back to gaming and found that atm there are USB Loaders (omg when did that happen
tongue.gif
)
After some goggling i found that that USB Loader GX is one of the best and found this tread. But whit more than 580 pages i just cant find some thinks.

I dint find a step-by-step to install USB Loader GX
Should i format my SD card, what must i have inside? (i already have homebrew channel installed)
The only way to put a game inside the usbdisk is by loading from the wii itself (some of my games are already damage and i only have iso, shoud i burn them again and load form the wii?)
Does updates from games safe or should i avoid them?

Sorry for all this question i simply dint find all the answer in a "how-to" and im afraid to damage my wii permanently (i read some where there are tools to avoid that, any tips on this?).

thx ins advance and keep up the good work

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I change the readmii every day
Please everyone tell what I could improve
smile.gif

IkariKun said:
Hi all
Im a former Backup Luncher User and dont use my wii for a long time (so long that i forget what dol and cios are)

Any way i got myself a wiimotion plus and im rely trill to get back to gaming and found that atm there are USB Loaders (omg when did that happen
tongue.gif
)
After some goggling i found that that USB Loader GX is one of the best and found this tread. But whit more than 580 pages i just cant find some thinks.

Should i format my SD card, what must i have inside? (i already have homebrew channel installed)
The only way to put a game inside the usbdisk is by loading from the wii itself (some of my games are already damage and i only have iso, shoud i burn them again and load form the wii?)

Sorry for all this question i simply dint find all the answer in a "how-to" and im afraid to damage my wii permanently (i read some where there are tools to avoid that, any tips on this?).

You used the backup launcher, so you have a cIOS installed, right?
Simply install a newer one (choose one found in my sig) and run this app with the HBC (or install the channel/forwarder at the first page)

madeirabhoy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
IkariKun said:
Hi all

tongue.gif
)

you dont need to reburn if you have the .iso

you can only put them on via the wii and usbloader gx if you burn them but you can download WBFS manager or on a mac WBFS Manager For OS X, plug your drive into your computer and load the iso that way. its generally quicker than using the wii too.

madeirabhoy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
i had a problem before which i posted and no one commented on and now ive just had the opposite and its not serious but a little annoying...

before i posted that i always used the .dol with a forwarder, and yet one day when i pressed update, it downloaded a .wad and lobbed it in my wii menu, meaning i had two usb loaders installed. rather than delete the .wad i moved it to the 2nd page, and manually downloaded the latest .dol and put it on my sd card. all okay.

a few updates later, one of them killed my .dol, when i clicked on the forwarder i got the splash screen then black. by then id read that the .wads now could update themselves (the main reason i used the.dol) so i swapped over the two icons and used the .wad quite happily.

now i click on update today (in the .wad version), and it downloads the new .dol rather than the .wad. so now ive got used to using the .wad but i have to swap the icons over again, stick the .wad version back on page 2 and the forwarder back on page 1. no doubt in a few days itll change its mind again....

DocNsanE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
IkariKun said:
Hi all

I've only just recently joined the Wii modding scene so I hope someone will correct me if I am wrong, but this is how I see it:
  • Description of cIOS: Wii cIOS - The Straight Dope
  • DOL: Think of it as an exectuable (.exe) on Windows. It's an application that can be launched in many ways, but the most common of these is from the HomeBrew Channel. Assuming you are using an SD card, you should have an apps folder on there. If you want to use a new dol, simply create a folder under SD:/apps/[appanme] and drop the dol in there. If you are using HBC, rename the DOL to boot.dol. After installing Gx you can use the homebrew loader contained within this app and you will not have to rename your DOL to boot.dol.
  • WAD: think of this as an installation package. You need to use the WAD Manager (which is a homebrew app) to load/install WAD files.

IkariKun said:
Since you have HBC I'll go ahead and assume you have the necessary cIOS. Not sure what you have on your SD card at the moment, but in theory you probably already have the aforementionned SD:/apps folder. So simply download the latest precompiled .DOL from the first post for this thread and download the Forwarder from the same post (this is a wad file). You will want to put the DOL file that you downloaded in SD:/apps/usb-loader-gx/ and ensure it is named boot.dol. You will also need to put the wad file (for the forwarder) in the following location: SD:/wad/. Then, use the WAD Manager to install the WAD file (you can find the wad manager online and just follow the on-screen steps, shouldn't be hard to get this installed). After installation is done you can reboot to wii system menu and you should see a channel for the USB Loader GX. You can launch the app from here. The application will check if there's a USB drive and if it contains a WBFS partition. You can use the app itself to format or WBFS Manager for Windows/Mac/Linux. Most of this stuff is covered in many different places on the web so I'll let you figure it out but if you need more help let us know. (hopefully I got this right, I'm reciting by memory).

IkariKun said:
You can insert an original or burnt copy of the game into your wii while GX is running to install the game. Depending on the version of GX you're running, you might have to click the + button in order to start the installation. Otherwise, you can use WBFS Manager and load the ISO onto the HDD that way.

QUOTE(IkariKun @ Jul 24 2009, 10:33 AM) Does updates from games safe or should i avoid them?
Don't need to run updates for games -- just use the loader and all will be well.

QUOTE(IkariKun @ Jul 24 2009, 10:33 AM)
Look into BootMii. It's pretty much the only thing that can really bail you out if you do something horribly wrong, but assuming you already have the cIOS installed, the dangerous part is over with. The steps I've described here can't cause any damage to your Wii so you can proceed in confidence. Just make sure you never use the WAD Manager to uninstall a 2-digit IOS (like IOS60 or IOS38 or something). That would definitely brick your wii -- but bootmii could still save you in this case if you've created a backup of your NAND.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
DocNsanE said:
IkariKun said:
Since you have HBC I'll go ahead and assume you have the necessary cIOS. Its not because he has HBC that he has a cIOS, but he had a backup launcher so he probabaly installed a cIOS for it. Now he needs to be sure its r9 or above!Not sure what you have on your SD card at the moment, but in theory you probably already have the aforementionned SD:/apps folder. So simply download the latest precompiled .DOL from the first post for this thread and download the Forwarder from the same post (this is a wad file). You will want to put the DOL file that you downloaded in SD:/apps/usbloader_gx/ and ensure it is named boot.dol. You will also need to put the wad file (for the forwarder) in the following location: SD:/wad/. Then, use the WAD Manager to install the WAD file (you can find the wad manager online and just follow the on-screen steps, shouldn't be hard to get this installed). After installation is done you can reboot to wii system menu and you should see a channel for the USB Loader GX. You can launch the app from here. The application will check if there's a USB drive and if it contains a WBFS partition. You can use the app itself to format or WBFS Manager for Windows/Mac/Linux. Most of this stuff is covered in many different places on the web so I'll let you figure it out but if you need more help let us know. (hopefully I got this right, I'm reciting by memory). The readmii contains probably all info you need.

IkariKun said:
You can insert an original or burnt copy of the game into your wii while GX is running to install the game. Depending on the version of GX you're running, you might have to click the (+) button in order to start the installation. Otherwise, you can use WBFS Manager and load the ISO onto the HDD that way.

Two ways of installing games:
1)The USB loader can rip discs (original and backup) to HDD
2)Use a WBFS manager to add them with a PC, if you have the ISO. You can use IMGBurn (create image from disc) to rip the ISO of a backup disc.

IkariKun said:
Don't need to run updates for games -- just use the loader and all will be well.
The loader deletes/blocks the update partition

QUOTE(IkariKun @ Jul 24 2009, 10:33 AM)
Look into BootMii. It's pretty much the only thing that can really bail you out if you do something horribly wrong, but assuming you already have the cIOS installed, the dangerous part is over with. The steps I've described here can't cause any damage to your Wii so you can proceed in confidence. Just make sure you never use the WAD Manager to uninstall any IOS (like IOS60 or IOS38 or something). That would definitely brick your wii -- but bootmii could still save you in this case if you've created a backup of your NAND.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Tonight's nightmare sponsored but G-Fuel! lolo