Hacking USB Loader GX stuck at 'Initialize USB device'

ablebodyoungman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi.
When i try and start USB Loader GX it gets stuck at 'Initialize USB device' and can't find my HDD.

The weird thing is when I start USB Loader GX and leave my HDD unplugged, If I then plug it in when USB Loader GX says it's looking for a HDD, it then detects the HDD and loads everything up fine.

I also loaded up Nintendont and it detects my HDD straight away.

Has anyone had this issue and have any insights to the problem?

Thanks.

gix222

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, i had this problem too. what i did, i took another flash drive with ntfs filesystem and it worked all fine. so i have one flash drive with fat32 system for nintendodont and another one with ntfs for wii. hope it helps, try.

Reactions: legoinventeor

LC74

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
just set IOS to 58 in the settings.

Same problem here. Changing IOS to 58 succeeded in making Loader recognising the USB HDD, but then only emuNAND and Gamecube titles appeared in the showcase. I verified the filter/selector settings too, and I can confirm that with IOS 58 all works but Wii games backup in *.wbfs file format.

Any advice would be very appreciated.

BR,
Luigi

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: LC74

LC74

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
using IOS58 should have fixed your problem.

I tried to fix the issue, but I don't have the issue myself to test.

Set the loader's IOS back to 249 (or 250) to do the tests.
the loader will mount the HDD with IOS58 and reload to 249 (or 250) to read the games.

Hello Cyan,

first of all, I would like to thank you for your readiness and willingness to help others -- it is a wonderful and rare thing.

Well, with r1268 this did the trick --> Set IOS58 straight in meta.xml and then USBLoader GX rebooted itself with 249 and displayed all of the Wii titles on USH-HDD.

Now I'm going to try r1269_mod01 to see whether I can avoid the internal reload by booting straight into 249. I'll report the outcomes here.

Have a nice evening,
Luigi

LC74

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
using IOS58 should have fixed your problem.

try this version :
r1269_mod1

OK, this is what happens with r1269 mod01:

SETUP 01
I: Meta.xml = //arguments commented//
I: Internal setting, Loader = IOS58
O: Drive recognized, all Wii titles displayed

SETUP 02
I: Internal setting, Loader = IOS249
O: Loading process stuck on "Initialize usb device"

SETUP 03
I: Meta.xml = IOS58

SETUP 04
I: Meta.xml = IOS249

Wierdly, with r1269_mod01 USB Loader GX is not shown in HBC anymore (while with r1268 was), albeit I'm still able to launch it through channel forwarder. Moreover, it hangs when I try to exit to Wii system menu.

I guess I'll revert back to r1268 keeping SETUP 03 (the one which worked erlier too).

Best regards,
Luigi

LC74

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well, now I'm getting another issue... Selecting emuNAND channels/titles in the games-type filter causes USBLGX to hang forever. Music and pointer (the little hand) are still 'alive' but everything else is frozen. But this is happening all of a sudden -- the last time I fired up my Wii all was working fine. So strange. :|

Luigi

OK, this is what happens with r1269 mod01:

SETUP 01
I: Internal setting, Loader = IOS58

SETUP 02

SETUP 03
I: Meta.xml = IOS58

SETUP 04
I: Meta.xml = IOS249

Wierdly, with r1269_mod01 USB Loader GX is not shown in HBC anymore (while with r1268 was), albeit I'm still able to launch it through channel forwarder. Moreover, it hangs when I try to exit to Wii system menu.

I guess I'll revert back to r1268 keeping SETUP 03 (the one which worked erlier too).

Best regards,
Luigi

LC74

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
OK, my fault. First, it's not true that nothing changed from last time I used successfully mi Wii.
I changed my 2,5 HDD box (and, maybe, also the drive itself), so this behaviour could be related to that.

Second, I solved the hanging on loading emuNAND titles and on returning to the system menu by simply setting IOS58 in **BOTH** meta.xml and internal Loader settings.

Best,

Luigi

Well, now I'm getting another issue... Selecting emuNAND channels/titles in the games-type filter causes USBLGX to hang forever. Music and pointer (the little hand) are still 'alive' but everything else is frozen. But this is happening all of a sudden -- the last time I fired up my Wii all was working fine. So strange. :|

Luigi

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you for the tests and results.
I find strange that it hang if you set 249 in the loader's settings, as it should use 58 to mount the drive.

especially setup 2, which is identical to setup 3 (the loader do not use xml in 1269mod01, except if your meta.xml is wrong)
if your meta.xml has the ahb_access tag, it should use IOS used by HBC (58, right? you are sure you don't have HBC set to use IOS61?)

so, setup 2 and 3 should be identical : boot with 58, init drive, then reload to 249.

Like I said before, it works fine for me and I don't have that issue, so thank you for doing the tests.
Maybe I didn't thought about all the possible combination of meta/settings value, I'll try to change it again.

Last edited by Cyan,

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
especially setup 2, which is identical to setup 3 (the loader do not use xml in 1269mod01, except if your meta.xml is wrong)
if your meta.xml has the ahb_access tag, it should use IOS used by HBC (58, right? you are sure you don't have HBC set to use IOS61?)

maybe if you could check the IOS used by HBC (not sure if its easy), issue a warning if it is not 58? People should update to it anyway.
Does nintendont just use IOS58 or does it also require HBC to be installed with IOS58? That may provide some quick hints if the user had the right setup apart from a syscheck.

I also wonder if someone have the time and knowledge to to create another kind of syscheck app - check the versions of common homebrews/forwarders installed. Just an idea and I had suggested similar things to @JoostinOnline long ago but he was not interested. I especially wished to wipe out those annoying usbloadergx 3.0c forwarder and ppl claiming "lastest" this and that once and for all.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I can easily check if it's IOS58 at startup, I just supposed users were using it now.
I think it shouldn't matter, even if they are using HBC on IOS61, they should have AHB access and initialising USB should work (I suppose) using USB1.1 driver.
drives should be compatible with older USB versions, unless USB1.1 support is completely dropped from newer drives?

I guess I'll add the IOS58 check, that's easier.

A tool to check installed common files is technically possible, we just need someone willing to code it :P
it's like syscheck, usually users use it only for USBLoader's issue, and only IOS58 + >200 are interesting to see. all others are unused and not affecting the console's behavior.
But I see what you mean with checking forwarders and homebrew's version (this would be harder to scan the SD and check homebrew versions).
The best is always to educate the users so they understand what they are doing. we just repeat ourselves a lot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: https://youtu.be/e1G3aKJ3g18?feature=shared