Hacking USB Loader GX Not Detecting HD Anymore

ToolPunk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been playing my games from an external HD for almost a year now using USB Loader GX. Just a couple days ago when I loaded up USB Loader GX, it said waiting for HD, counted down and then loaded and said no device.

I have tried removing USB Loader GX and putting it back on there fresh. I tried updating it.

Nintendont has no issue seeing the HD and playing GC games.

My PC shows nothing wrong with the drive.

Please help I cant figure out why USB Loader would stop detecting the HD when everything else sees it with no problem.

Thank You.

mary1517

Trophies
Website
www.behance.net
XP
Country
Poland
Oh that title... And for a moment I thought there was a HD upscaler in some new USBLoader updates for the vWii that I didn't know about or something, but that's just HDD misspelled...
Anyway, I had an exact same problem not so long time ago. And the solution was rather frustrating:
Try pluging in the HDD to a different USB port. I don't know why, but it worked for me. Now I just have to remember to always plug in to the same one. The others won't detect my HDD at all.

I assume you didn't do anything special that would cause the USBLoader to stop working? It just like... happened? Or did you install/update/change anything in your console between the time it worked fine and just stoped?

ToolPunk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was using the same exact version as before when this happen. This time though, I boot up the Wii U and I had forgot to have the drive on before starting USB Loader. I shut down the wii u and turned the drive on. This time and since then, when I boot up USB Loader it wont detect the drive. Like I said above I tried updating USB Loader, deleting it and redownloading it. I can launch Nintendont from HBC and load GC games off the HDD no problem. USB Loader just says Waiting for HDD... counts down and then loads with no games or HDD detected. I am using d2x-v10-beta52-vWii. Western Digital Blue 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s WD5000AAKX

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
so it's a different issue than the other thread.
the loader doesn't mount the HDD at all and continue without HDD.

The other thread is finding HDD, mounting it, and freeze there indefinitely.

Did you update your WiiU?
I think the new WiiU version is shutting down non WiiU HDD.

Nintendont is using IOS58 to mount the HDD, you can try using it too.
You can go to USBLoaderGX > Settings > Loader settings > Loader's IOS : 58
it should automatically edit your meta.xml to tell the loader that you want to use IOS58 at boot.

ToolPunk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Changed Loader's IOS to 58 and then checked wii games and all is well. I would love to know if all these new Nintendont settings in the newer version would let me see and load the GC games on my HDD from the USB Loader menu just like the wii games.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Changed Loader's IOS to 58 and then checked wii games and all is well. I would love to know if all these new Nintendont settings in the newer version would let me see and load the GC games on my HDD from the USB Loader menu just like the wii games.

Just set GameCube loader to Nintendont and specify the game path to usb:/games

ToolPunk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
set GameCube loader to Nintendont but where do I put usb:/games? The GC Source only says Main Path or SD Path or Main Path/SD Path. Also, do the GC games need to be on a separate partition?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
set GameCube loader to Nintendont but where do I put usb:/games? The GC Source only says Main Path or SD Path or Main Path/SD Path. Also, do the GC games need to be on a separate partition?

Set "Main path" to Nintendont and go to "Custom Paths" and make sure that the GameCube path is set to usb:/games. Sorry, I wasn't as clear as I should have been the first time

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You are all mixing settings locations.
There are different settings, to affect different things in the loader!

The path where you store your games :
Settings > user path > Gamecube Main folder : set this path to your USB:/games/ folder. it's the "main" path, the one used to dump games to ISO. You can set it to SD if you want. no need to be USB.
Settings > user path > Gamecube SD folder : This path needs to stay on SD. It's the path used by DIOS MIOS Lite by default, as DML can't launch from USB.

If you set these two settings to different folders, the loader will load either both or only one, depending on another setting.
Settings > Loader settings > Gamecube source : Set this to define the priority for the games.
SD only : displays only ISO located on SD folder
Main only : display only the ISO located on Main folder
SD+Main : display in priority games located on SD folder if there are duplicates, then load the other one from Main folder
Main+SD : display in priority games located on Main folder if there are duplicates, then load the other one from SD folder
Auto : The priority for games to display is based on the current detected/installed MIOS :

DIOS MIOS : USB, then SD
DIOS MIOS Lite : SD, then USB
MIOS : (sorry, I don't remember the priority. too many things to remember)

You can also select the external loader to use :
Settings > Loader settings > Gamecube mode :
MIOS : use the installed MIOS in the MIOS slot to launch gamecube (MIOS, cMIOS, DIOS MIOS, DIOS MIOS Lite)
Devolution : use devolution
Nintendont : use nintendont

Then, if you want to display gamecube games in the loader, don't forget to enable gamecube as Game's origin : 4th icon in the top menu.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

ToolPunk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OHHH! I'm sorry guys I didn't even realize there was a custom paths. I Set Custom Paths>Gamecube Main folder>usb1/games. I set Loader Settings>GameCube Settings>GameCube Source>Main Path. I Set Loader Settings>GameCube Settings>GameCube Mode Nintendont. Now My games show on the list with the wii games and run from USB Loader GX. THANK YOU BUNCHES!

ToolPunk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Restarted Wii U, this time when launching a GC game it took me to Nintendont and the arrow was already on the game I wanted to launch. Is this the way it works? NVM Turning on Auto boot allows the game selected in USB Loader GX to auto boot when Nintendont launches.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If it could launch nintendont without warning or errors, it means it detected that you have nintendont's boot.dol located in your sd:/apps/nintendont/ folder.
When launching a game, it should launch nintendont automatically.

If you still hear the Wii menu music, I guess it means the loader didn't shutdown and is stuck somewhere between shutting down process and before launching nintendont.
Without a debug log it's hard to tell what's wrong or where it hangs.

Did you try multiple times? with different games?

edit:
Ah, you posted before me. I see it works now.
Autoboot should be enabled by default, you modified that setting to disable it, or it wasn't enabled by default?

ToolPunk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No I had turned it off because that setting was off in nintendont. I see though, that setting works differently from within USB Loader. Thank you for the help, it is running great now.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
in nintendont, it's off by default (or else it wouldn't ask you what game you want to launch, it would try to autoboot last played game .... which doesn't exist yet)
But you can enable it in nintendont just before launching a game, and next time you boot nintendont, it will autoboot the last played game.

when using a loader, it's editing the config file used by nintendont to "fake" the last played game, and autoboot the one you just selected.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: