Hacking USB Loader GX, emuNAND - can't run Wad files

StopLight

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In USB Loader GX, I moved WiiWare games (WAD files) from the NAND to the emuNAND. When they were on the system NAND, all of these same games worked, but now that they are on emuNAND they kick back to the main Wii system display when I try to run them through USB Loader GX. If the game is installed to both the NAND and the emuNAND, then the emuNAND version seems to work, but that's not a solution because if I could run all of the WADs from the NAND I wouldn't need the emuNAND.
I also have problems installing some WADs with Multi-Mod Manager to the NAND especially if they are also in the emuNAND. Sometimes I can get around this by switching from IOS58 to IOS249. Some WADs won't install to the NAND at all anymore.

I've tried to figure this out from searching the forums, and I have found some similar reports to this issue, but I haven't found a solution. There was one suggestion that I did not try because the post was several years old. I seems the person fixed it by switching d2x cIOS v8, but I think they were updating from v6; I am already running v10.

USB Loader GX v3.0 Rev 1271
d2x cIOS v10
Multi-Mod Manager v13.4
Currently loaded: IOS58 v6176

I can provide more info on my setup if someone needs it to help troubleshoot this.

Solved:
My USB Loader GX was using slot 249 with d2x cIOS v10 r53
I switched it to slot 250 with d2x cIOS v10 r52
I did this by changing the USB Loader settings: Settings>loader's settings> Loader's IOS and Game's IOS : 250

The problem was d2x cIOS v10 r53. So I think that I could have also fixed this by installing d2x cIOS v8-Final or d2x cIOS v10 r52 into 249.

Last edited by StopLight,

StopLight

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't worked with neek for several reasons. I'm not exactly sure what it does, and I didn't need it before now. I couldn't find a good installation guide. And when it came to the files, I wasn't able to determine if I was grabbing the latest version.

I downloaded ModMii when I first got into hacking the Wii, but I wasn't sure what it did that the tutorials and guides were already telling me to do. So I looked at it, but I haven't really used it.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
ModMii's main wizard is arguably the top recommended method to mod any wii.

You can run syscheck on your console and open it using ModMii and it will analyze what's currently installed on your console and create a custom guide for you to install just what's out of date. That being said, you can use Modmii's main wizard and it will overwrite any older mods anyway so there's no harm in doing that, it would just involve a couple fast but redundant/unnecessary steps.

ModMii has a sneek setup wizard as well. Below is a copy and paste from the relevant section or the modmii website's usage page:

ModMii's Sneek Installer
Instead of having your wii read\write to the internal memory you can have it use external storage. That's like being able to make a backup of your Wii and load it on a friend's console!

Use ModMii to assist you in setting up and installing neek or neek2o which are SD/USB NAND/ES emulation kits for the Wii. This allows you to load an emulated NAND from an SD Card or a FAT32 formatted USB Hard Drive. This means you can carry a backup of personal system menu with all your game saves with you and load it on any Wii. If using neek+di/neek2o+di you can even load games from your external Hard Drive in the disc-channel. An emulated NAND is required to load neek/neek2o, but ModMii can help you with that too!

Reactions: Alexander1970

StopLight

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ModMii's main wizard is arguably the top recommended method to mod any wii.

You can run syscheck on your console and open it using ModMii and it will analyze what's currently installed on your console and create a custom guide for you to install just what's out of date. That being said, you can use Modmii's main wizard and it will overwrite any older mods anyway so there's no harm in doing that, it would just involve a couple fast but redundant/unnecessary steps.

ModMii has a sneek setup wizard as well. Below is a copy and paste from the relevant section or the modmii website's usage page:

I want to make sure I understand it correctly... ModMii doesn't go on the Wii; it goes on your computer and you use it to set up the SD card (similar to how Wii Backup Manager works.) I downloaded v6.5 a few months ago. Is that the latest build?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If the game is installed to both the NAND and the emuNAND, then the emuNAND version seems to work,
it feels like you set EmuNAND redirection to Partial, instead of Full, or didn't make a full NAND dump but only copied games to an empty emuNAND folder.

if you use partial, it redirects only some data from NAND to emuNAND, and still read other data from NAND. so, it works if you still have the game NAND, but doesn't if you don't.
if you use Full, then everything is redirected to EmuNAND folder, and nothing is read from NAND. but of course, you NEED a full NAND dump first, or it'll reboot the console if you only "moved the WAD" to emuNAND without having a full copy of your console's memory in that folder.

EmuNAND works like that :
1. Make a FULL NAND DUMP (features > dump > full). This step is mandatory! it makes a full Console copy to SD to be able to use it as if it was your real console's internal data.
2. add wads (features > wad manager)
3. be sure "emuNAND Channel" is set to Full instead of Partial in the loader settings. I always wanted to remove the "partial" option, but never understood why users wanted to keep it.

Things to note:
you need d2x v8 or d2x v10r52. DO NOT USE r53 with emuNAND ! or it'll reboot, crash, freeze, blackscreen.
80% of games are working. remaining game will need Neek (rebirth series, N64VC and NeogeoVC)

Last edited by Cyan,

StopLight

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it feels like you set EmuNAND redirection to Partial, instead of Full, or didn't make a full NAND dump but only copied games to an empty emuNAND folder.

EmuNAND works like that :
1. Make a FULL NAND DUMP (features > dump > full). This step is mandatory! it makes a full Console copy to SD to be able to use it as if it was your real console's internal data.
2. add wads (features > wad manager)
3. be sure "emuNAND Channel" is set to Full instead of Partial in the loader settings. I always wanted to remove the "partial" option, but never understood why users wanted to keep it.

When I originally dumped the NAND, I did do a full NAND Dump. I found one of your other posts, and I'm pretty sure I did those 3 steps. So that's why I am perplexed.

Things to note:
you need d2x v8 or d2x v10r52. DO NOT USE r53 with emuNAND ! or it'll reboot, crash, freeze, blackscreen.
80% of games are working. remaining game will need Neek (rebirth series, N64VC and NeogeoVC)

How do I look at and change the settings for d2x? I know I have v10 loaded because I didn't install anything else, I noticed that there are different versions of it and I can't tell which one is loaded. I think I saw another old post where you had links to d2x v7 v8 v9, and I should have downloaded those when I saw them, but I didn't and now I can't find that post. At any rate, it sounds like I definitely need d2x v8.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Modmii can install d2x v8 and any other version of d2x (in fact ModMii was the original d2x "installer").

If u run a Syscheck you can see if you have d2x v10r52 installed, which is basically the same a v8 final. If you have v10r53 installed then you'll want to take action.

StopLight

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Modmii can install d2x v8 and any other version of d2x (in fact ModMii was the original d2x "installer").

If u run a Syscheck you can see if you have d2x v10r52 installed, which is basically the same a v8 final. If you have v10r53 installed then you'll want to take action.
I did not know that. I am looking forward to checking this out tonight.

StopLight

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Things to note:

Does this affect the Wiimote connectivity? Because I cannot get multiple controllers to work together in USB Loader, and subsequently Nintendont. I can't find any settings where I can mange my controllers.

StopLight

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Alight, I have
IOS249 running d2x-v10r53
IOS250 running d2x-v10r52

I need to replace 249, but would I be better off using v8 instead of v10r52?

Also I'm running on IOS58 (rev 6176). Should I be actively running on 249?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
v8 and v10r52 are identical.
what's important is the base, be sure to install v8 (or v10r52) base57 in slot249.

or, if you already have "r52 base57" in your slot250, then you don't need to install it again. but you need to tell the loader to use slot250 instead of 249.
Settings>loader's settings> Loader's IOS and Game's IOS : 250
reboot

Does this affect the Wiimote connectivity? Because I cannot get multiple controllers to work together in USB Loader, and subsequently Nintendont. I can't find any settings where I can mange my controllers.
the cIOS doesn't affect the number of connected wiimotes.

Reactions: StopLight

KB89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
StopLight I think I'm having the same problem as you. if you get a fix please let me know.

StopLight

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I changed Settings>loader's settings> Loader's IOS and Game's IOS : 250
That slot uses d2x v10 r52 base 57 rev 65535

That seemed to do the trick. Almost every WAD worked even most of the N64 VC. Neo Geo did not but you said that would happen.

I did not install Sneek. I am not comfortable with how it seems to work, I don't want to do it without seeing it in action. I did use ModMii to download the file and set it up, but I couldn't be sure if I was making the right selections during the setup process. It seems to me that it takes over your NAND (in other words, it seems like runs in place of your NAND) and is constantly running. I don't want that, I only want to run it when I need it. Anyhow, there are only a few WADs that I want that did not work, but there's enough space for me to run them on the system NAND.

Also, I loaded d2x v8 final base 57 into 249, so I think I can switch the loader back to 249.
Cyan, I follow your guide in this post: https://gbatemp.net/threads/d2x-and-cios-249-confusion.481871/ to set it up. I'm curious that you said to use base 56 for slot 250. Should I change 250 from base 57 to 56 too?

One last thing. SysCheck says that my Wii is running IOS58 rev 6176. Is that what I want? I have tried to change it to 249 or 250, and it won't stick. Every time I try to change it, it reverts back to 58. So apparently, I don't know how to change it if I need to.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It seems to me that it takes over your NAND (in other words, it seems like runs in place of your NAND) and is constantly running.
yes, that's its purpose. redirecting the entire Wii internal chipset access (NAND/eMMC) to SD card (eMMC chipset type), the console just acts as if you physically moved the memory from internal to external, that's all. everything else works the same way (sorta).

it's not "always redirecting", it's doing it when you choose to, by launching it manually, and exit it by rebooting the console so access goes back to internal chipset.

You want to play a game from neek?
- manually reboot the console to use the external chipset memory (a folder on SD or USB).
- use your console as if it was a real, unhacked one.
- when you want to use real internal chipset again, reboot the console.

To setup neek, there's nothing hard : you add 2 files to your SD card!
it uses your existing emuNAND dump, the one you are already using with wads from usbloadergx.
the only difference is that you are booting the copy as if it was a Wii, instead of just accessing the game's files when requested by the loader.
if you don't need neek, you continue to use the emuNAND, it's a choice you do when you want, per game !

I'm curious that you said to use base 56 for slot 250. Should I change 250 from base 57 to 56 too?
if you installed base57 in slot249, and you had base57 in slot250, then you now have a duplicate cIOS.
nothing wrong with that, as only ONE is loaded in memory at any time.
I suggested to also install base56 just in case you find a game not working with base57, then you can try to switch back to the historically used base (base56). But I don't know any game working with 56 which is not working with 57.
games not working with 57 are usually also not working with 56, and they require a completely different base (53, or 36, etc.) which no guide tells to install because it's only 1 or 2 games needed them.

so, you don't really need to replace your slot250 if you don't have games requiring a different base.
if you want to play Animal crossing using the keyboard, then you'll better install d2x v8 base38 in your slot250 (instead of base57) and set the game to use slot250 to benefit from base38 and unlock keyboard support.
spongebob boating bash requires either base58 (you already have it in slot251?) or base53.

SysCheck says that my Wii is running IOS58 rev 6176.
not really.
it's not your Wii which is running on IOS58, but Syscheck itself !
all running app require a specific, and only ONE, IOS to run. it's like its driver to access functions and hardware.
most homebrew uses IOS58 to access NAND and hardware. don't try to force another IOS slot, the homebrew require the features provided by IOS58 to function properly !

that's the same for games, they are using slot 249, which contains a modified (custom, to add USB redirection) version of IOS57 (your cIOS base).

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: StopLight

StopLight

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyan, Thank you very much for explaining this.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

StopLight I think I'm having the same problem as you. if you get a fix please let me know.
It looks like it is solved for me. I updated what I did to fix it in the original post.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
thank you for updating the first post with your solution :)
that'll help users more quickly.

I only helped quickly with neek, but if you need proper step by step or guide, let me know.
I helped few users recently, but I guess everyone has different issues.

StopLight

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thank you for updating the first post with your solution :)
that'll help users more quickly.

I only helped quickly with neek, but if you need proper step by step or guide, let me know.
I helped few users recently, but I guess everyone has different issues.

I am going to have to run Neek on my other Wii since it's running a lot of Virtual Console stuff and some Sega Emulators. But first I need to solve the controller connection problem with Nintendont.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying