WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's say someone has a hard-modded wii.

This person wants to try out a USB Loader with an external drive.

Is it possible to install previously backed up burnt games as you would a normal game? Or would i...erm... the person in question... need to install the ripped games via a backup manager on the computer? (i found the tools, and i see they can do it, i just don't happen to have a working windows 'puter right now... running Linux off of a cd due to HDD issuses :-\)

Thanks!
biggrin.gif

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slower than legit games? Or same speed, just quicker to use a backup manager?

(with the whole HDD crash i experienced, i lost a lot of the files, so the only way i have a lot of these now is on dvd's)

noONE

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
It works great, that's what i did when i began using USB loaders.
It's no slower than "installing" retail discs and certainly faster than getting them onto your computer first and then transfer them to the WBFS/Fat32 HDD.

Don't remember exactly how "slow" it is, but ranging from the fastest ones (at a couple of 100 MB) which takes ~30 sec to the biggest releases which takes around 20min (over 4GB), except dual layer games though of course, i'd say it's quite fast, but it sure take some time if you, like me had to "install" ~80 games.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah fantastic, thank you.

I've been finding info here and there, but nothing this specific. I haven't had time to try it out yet... so i figured i could ask, while at work heh.

One more quicky, if anyone knows-
Can i use an external drive thats larger than 512gigs? I stumbled across only one post that mentioned that it can't... but haven't seen anything else about it.

Either way, Thanks for the help, and i hope to get this up and running w/in the next few days.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there is no size limit on the HDD. some 1.5 TB drives work fine. but if you are using FAT to load the games, bigger partitions are slower. also, ive had issues copying burned games before. it comes from the fact that at some point in time, a program was used to shrink/scrub/brickblock those games and messed up the wii magic word in the disc header. so a USB loader will say "this is not a wii game" when it really is. you can still edit the source code for a loader to skip that check and it will install the game, but you might get weird results.

noONE

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I'm using a 500GB WD MyBook 2.0 HDD ~430GB WBFS, 32GB FAT32, it currently got 154 games on it and about 70GB left, i think that size is large enough for most Wii users game collection ;P

But if you want to use a bigger drive than that there should be no problem, since that 512GB limitiation (bug?) was fixed ~½ year ago (I could see the use of 512GB+ drives when wanting to store loads of media or double the drive as a PC data storage/Wii HDD.)

But don't listen to me.. everyone got different needs =)

giantpune said:
there is no size limit on the HDD. some 1.5 TB drives work fine. but if you are using FAT to load the games, bigger partitions are slower. also, ive had issues copying burned games before. it comes from the fact that at some point in time, a program was used to shrink/scrub/brickblock those games and messed up the wii magic word in the disc header. so a USB loader will say "this is not a wii game" when it really is. you can still edit the source code for a loader to skip that check and it will install the game, but you might get weird results.

I had no issues when i transfered ~80 games to my HDD... but then again, all but 2 or 3 were "clean" ISOs since i have a WiiKey (in which i deactivated disc updates) mostly since i got the games before "we" started scrubbing them and since i've got a chip i don't have to care about "brickblocking" the ISOs.
(you make it sound like a program is always used to alter Wii ISOs btw, while it's 99% personal preference...)

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok great. Thanks! Yea, i have a 600gig external that i was planning on using. But i may drop down to one of the smaller sizes... i don't think i'm going to need 100+ games at this point. Hell, i can only think of ~15 off the top of my head that i would NEED on there. (and i'm stretching the "need" there, quite a bit lol)
However, i DO have that collectors mentality. I will probably have a TB+ going in the future, because i'm a fooking hoarder.
tongue.gif

And i had assumed that the limit was long gone, but because of my lack of following the scene for so long, i couldn't find anywhere confirming it for me.

Sweet! I can't wait to get this thing moving! Hopefully tonight
wink.gif

Again, Thanks guys! You do this board proud
wink.gif

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Even for Mods: Trying out first and searching doesn't hurt
wink.gif

Btw: Currently, you can only dump the games to WBFS or FAT32...NTFS isn't possible, and still buggy. Recommended Loader to Dump would be CFG-Loader, the most stable one. And configure it to dump all partitions...the best choice. Oh, and cIOSrev15 would be a good choice for dumping discs...

drizzt007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is it possible to move just one game from one hard drive to the next, without WBFS manager trying to clone the entire drive?

I was trying to do this but couldn't find a way to do so.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: well.. Sorta new :)