USB Heated Gloves

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by MasterPenguin, Dec 10, 2010.

Dec 10, 2010

USB Heated Gloves by MasterPenguin at 5:25 PM (932 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. MasterPenguin
    OP

Member MasterPenguin GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Well, at my universities residence, my hands are always getting cold. Then someone showed me these online - USB heated gloves. You just plug them in, and in literally a minute your hands begin to warm up. Sounds like a fantastic idea to me! But, I'm not sure which one to buy. There are so many different ones, and I was looking for some recommendations. I've read dozens of reviews - some gloves breaking too easily, others burning your hand, and so far, this seems to be the one that is most favorable: right here. I was wondering if any of you guys can recommend me a pair (or the pair that I just linked), as I'd like to see if anyone else has any experience with these.

2. Pliskron

Banned Pliskron Banned

United States
    having your hands tethered to a computer via a usb cable seems a little silly. Try looking for something battery powered

3. MasterPenguin
    OP

Member MasterPenguin GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    The cords almost 2 meters long, so there's no issues with cords. There are also adapters for these (such as: this. I'd never see myself using this though, all I need is some warm hands while using my laptop!

4. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Whilst I'm extremely grateful for being reminded that it exists (as my attempts to find a special variety of fingerless neoprene gloves have been in vain), I do also remember hearing that electronically heated clothing (and this applies to gloves, socks, underwear and blankets) are bad for health. Electromagnetic waves, unconditioning your skin, potential electrical/fire hazards... there are a number of possible reasons, although I don't usually give them much stock. USB powered gloves probably are bad for your health, but I imagine having cold hands is also bad for your health.

5. JinTrigger

Member JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

United States
    Wow...I'm amazed at what exists in this world. I agree with Pliskron, it seems silly. I just go with getting some regular gloves if you haven't tried that....Though I also never thought they made heated gloves either....I personally never needed something like this.

6. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    It's a natural evolution of the popular "hand warmers", which come in a variety of forms (from fuel rods to electrically heated bits of metal). They just take a USB-powered heating plate and put it into the palm of the glove. The expensive ones (which never seem to be in stock anymore) also have wires threading the fingers to carry the heat and keep your whole hand warm.

There are also USB powered slippers and socks, and battery powered underwear (although fortunately I can't find any in stock, so they're either no longer supplied, which is a good idea, or they're too popular... which is a bad idea). More common are electric blankets, which generate such electromagnetic forces that can't be good for the body (plus I've heard the additional reason yesterday that it affects the heavy metals in the blood and can mess with them).