Hacking usb code released :)

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Doesn't FAT only support up to 2gb volume sizes? 4gb with 64kb clusters, which are not widely supported.

That's what Wikipedia tells me anyway.

Someone tell me otherwise!

I already told you in another topic, that's wrong, you must have interpreted Wikipedia wrongly. You can connect devices up to practically any size with FAT32 (it supports it), it's just it won't support ONE SINGLE FILE over 4GB. And we won't need that much space for one file up until the point we start considering ISO loaders, which I'm sure will take a long time (seeing as the hackers/coders don't want to, and the people who do want ISO loaders can't actually hack/code lol).

So, absolutely awesome breakthrough. With an external hard drive and WAD manager installed, we'll never have to worry about constantly flitting between our PC and Wii to swap VC games, we could keep the whole VC library on one device, ready to move onto the Wii.

Absolutely awesome, and I'm hoping the coders will find newborn life in this, and start adding support right away.

QUOTE said:
In order to overcome the volume size limit of FAT16, while still allowing DOS real mode code to handle the format without unnecessarily reducing the available conventional memory, Microsoft implemented a newer generation of FAT, known as FAT32, with cluster values held in a 32-bit field, of which 28 bits are used to hold the cluster number, for a maximum of approximately 268 million (228) clusters. This allows for drive sizes of up to 8 tebibytes with 32KiB clusters, but the boot sector uses a 32-bit field for the sector count, limiting volume size to 2 TiB on a hard disk with 512 byte sectors.

QUOTE said:
The maximum possible size for a file on a FAT32 volume is 4 GiB minus 1 "null" byte (232?1 bytes).

There, just checked. Yay, I was right. So it's a bigger breakthrough than you think, we can now have USB mass storage devices almost as big as we want in the Wii now. WOOHOO!

--------------------------------

EDIT:
Oh, sorry, someone already said otherwise lol.

QUOTEOn the speed issue, we won't have any problems with it until the ISO loader comes up, which gives plenty of time to sort it out.
Well, no HD content, but of course there are other limitations, not only the limited speed. On a side note; how about making a Memory Card -> USB adapter or SD Card -> USB. Then again, there are some other limits that appear, plus I'm not even sure how viable it is ...

...You can already get SD USB adapters, most of us use them, as we have DS flash cards already, they've been around for ages. Not sure what the point of that is though, why would you need it?

Such as the Wii can't display HD content only 480p...

I was under the impression the Wii component cables gave you 720p or 720i (one of those)? Or am I wrong? And if you want to be moving into the HD area, the Wii isn't exactly the most viable option tbh lol.

Arakon

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
you are wrong. 480p is the maximum.

as for iso streaming over USB: the ps2 proved quite nicely (or ugly?) that USB 1.1 is FAR from usable for game streaming.

dread123

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
so my point is that we can use usb 1.1 to play media files then..is that not correct?

"Streaming" is a generic term. It basically means that the data being transferred can be used immediately, without having to download the "thing" in it's entirety before it can be used.

Streaming audio or video will be decoded and played back immediately -- or once enough data has been transfered in order to start playback.

The question was wether usb 1.1 was suitable for media streaming, and it is. regardless if streaming or usb drive

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
dread123 said:
so my point is that we can use usb 1.1 to play media files then..is that not correct?

"Streaming" is a generic term. It basically means that the data being transferred can be used immediately, without having to download the "thing" in it's entirety before it can be used.

Streaming audio or video will be decoded and played back immediately -- or once enough data has been transfered in order to start playback.
12Mbit/s should be enough.

dread123

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
dont forget we also have the wifi- which we can stream with!! those drivers will be more stable than the usb ones..we even use them at present with homebrew channel and wiiload
smile.gif
-so maybe those will be looked at further!

darkangel5000

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Trolly said:
it's just it won't support ONE SINGLE FILE over 4GB.
This sucks big time, as most of my Movies are in HDTV (even tho the Wii has only 480p output, those Videos have a better quality as standard encoded XviD - 700MB Movies.) and take up most likely 5-9GB of space. Arrrr >_<

Whatever, then I have to reconvert them again... *sigh*

Venko

Trophies
XP
Country
dread123 said:
dont forget we also have the wifi- which we can stream with!! those drivers will be more stable than the usb ones..we even use them at present with homebrew channel and wiiload
smile.gif
-so maybe those will be looked at further!

I think that that's definitely a good road to look down as the WiFi supports up to a much higher capacity than USB 1.1. On home WiFi networks you can just set up one of your machines as a web host and provide the file access through HTTP over the network. Then the Wii could access it using your local IP address.

Of course you could always convert your movies to FLV format and use a flash FLV player to view them in the Internet channel using your local network as a host again but the big problem with that is that the Wii doesn't have the newest flash (the on with fullscreen support) which makes filling the screen with the video properly difficult (unless I'm missing some secret knowledge here).

Xeronage

Trophies
XP
Country
1.1 is still a nice 11Mbit/s (Amiright?), this is fine for simple stuff..But we can forget ISO loaders for awhile =P

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
you are wrong. 480p is the maximum.

Yeah, just checked, 480p is HDTV according to Nintendo!
wacko.gif

QUOTE@Trolley : FAT32 is not FAT , its the same as USB2.0 USB1.1

I never said it was! I was correcting him on the assumption he had already realised FAT32 was supported by the USB code. Also, I can spell trolley for all those who are wondering. It's not a typo either, it's a nickname because my name's Olly and some of my friends call me Trolly for some unknown reason. Just thought I'd give you a heads up! And Wikipedia also claims otherwise, it implies in the description of FAT that it means all types of FAT (FAT12, FAT16, FAT32).

kebabinho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
I think that that's definitely a good road to look down as the WiFi supports up to a much higher capacity than USB 1.1. On home WiFi networks you can just set up one of your machines as a web host and provide the file access through HTTP over the network. Then the Wii could access it using your local IP address.

Of course you could always convert your movies to FLV format and use a flash FLV player to view them in the Internet channel using your local network as a host again but the big problem with that is that the Wii doesn't have the newest flash (the on with fullscreen support) which makes filling the screen with the video properly difficult (unless I'm missing some secret knowledge here).

i think there is something that does this - Wii Media Center X.

the quality is poor though, and like you say, its difficult to get full screen.

MizuhoChan

Trophies
Website
mii.nanodesu.org
XP
Country
I've signed up just to say this.

Why do people seem so occupied by an ISO loader? Wouldn't it just be much simpler to make a program to force the Wii to read a disc that has been burned, like a modchip does? Sort of like a virtual modchip?

e.g. start the HBC, load the "virtual modchip", it reboots the Wii and recognises the disc. Or maybe instead of rebooting, just load the disc without rebooting to the main menu.

Still, I don't get ISO loaders on the Wii, the PSP uses it because we can't burn UMD's and the PS2 is much better with just booting via Swap Magic than using an ISO loader.

Pikachu025

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I think we want ISO loaders cause we don't want to swap discs all the time, plus with USB 2.0 we'd have like no loading times; backups already work for a long time using chips.

But maybe that's just me.

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
MizuhoChan said:
I've signed up just to say this.

Why do people seem so occupied by an ISO loader? Wouldn't it just be much simpler to make a program to force the Wii to read a disc that has been burned, like a modchip does? Sort of like a virtual modchip?

e.g. start the HBC, load the "virtual modchip", it reboots the Wii and recognises the disc. Or maybe instead of rebooting, just load the disc without rebooting to the main menu.

Still, I don't get ISO loaders on the Wii, the PSP uses it because we can't burn UMD's and the PS2 is much better with just booting via Swap Magic than using an ISO loader.

The thing about that is that it would involve a custom firmware. I am not entirely sure about what I am about to say but here it goes. The modchip acts as an object that allows the burnt disc to be read and it activates as soon as the disc is inserted. Now for it to run a disc, the chip sends signals to the drive chip through exploits found in the chipset. The data has to be streamed to specific points on the chip and that is done by wires. The thing is that a modchip is needed to make use of the exploit as the 'Scarlet' chip has yet to be hacked so that means that it can't be directly streamed to the drive chip.

Disregard this if I am a complete idiot.
rolleyes.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F