usage of USENET

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Ludvigsson, Feb 7, 2007.

?
  1. mIRC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Usenet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Smiths

Smiths AKAIO Person of Interest

Feb 24, 2003
    United States
    The land of Dairy Queen
    usenet.
    hate torrents.
    hate people who still to this day swear by torrents.
    get usenet, pay for it. worth every penny every month.
    (newshosting.com unlimited $15 has like 60 day retention, even though they advertise only 45)

2. archagon

archagon GBAtemp Regular

Jan 17, 2003
    United States
    Why? What's wrong with BitTorrent?

3. Magus19

Magus19 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 7, 2002
    Canada
    Canada,Qc
    I never understood how to use usenet. I don't know why but it makes no sense to me, I never find complete stuff and everything is so slow to look for. Torrents for iso and irc for roms, I don't need more.

4. kristianity77

kristianity77 GBATemp old fogey

Jul 10, 2003
    United Kingdom
    Bewdley, UK
    Thundernews as a server, good old Newzbin pro!!

5. Tanas

Tanas GBAtemp Addict

Aug 19, 2006
    People who favour torrents over usenet, either have never used usenet, havent a clue how to use usenet (easy to use PAR files are just to hard for them to get their heads round) or are using their ISP's free usenet service that is shite and full of incompletes posts.

6. Vidikron

Vidikron Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2005
    United States
    You really need to go with a pay service. Usenet service provided by ISPs almost always sucks. You end up with low retention times and almost everything is incomplete. Usenet is fantastic once you figure it out... and, really, it's not even that difficult. If someone showed you the basics you would likely understand it in mere minutes.

I personally use Easynews. I pay $10 (USD) per month for 20 GB. I'm not a heavy downloader so that plan works great for me. Plus, Easynews has rollover, so unused GB get carried over. I currently have over 70 GB of rollover accumulated and I've only been with them for about half a year. If I was a real heavy downloader I'd probably go with the $15 unlimited plan from NewsHosting that several other people have mentioned.

If you are interested in trying out a good Usenet service you may want to try out Usenetserver.com. They have a plan where you can pay $3 for 3 days of access. IMO, that would be a good way to just try it out and see if you like it. If you still don't get it or don't like it you are only out $3.

7. archagon

archagon GBAtemp Regular

Jan 17, 2003
    United States
    Why can't anyone answer my question, then? [​IMG]

8. adgloride

adgloride Its A Wii Wario

Apr 2, 2003
    1 You download at your full line speed (If you have 8mb download you download at 8mb), P2P you don't know what speed your gonna download at.
    2 If you download something you know your going to get it as long as its in your usenet retention rate (P2P relys on the other person staying logged on)
    3 The authorities have a harder time tracing you when downloading for usenet, on P2P their all over it
    4 Most of the time when downloading from usenet what your getting is real and not fake
    5 You can download a full movie in minutes, instead of hours.

The only downside of Usenet over P2P is you have to pay for it. Worth every penny though.

9. 2cb2ct7

2cb2ct7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 5, 2007
    Hmmmm sounds like I have been missing out!

Best usenet provider?

I hear easynews is pretty good...?

10. Hooya

Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 25, 2006
    United States
    Central Illinois

Giganews is very popular.

I just use the one from my ISP. It's not a great server (only 6 connections, each connection has a download cap of something pitiful like 30k) but it's free, and that's just fine by me because I am patient. It's reliable, which isn't always the case with P2P.

11. archagon

archagon GBAtemp Regular

Jan 17, 2003
    United States
    "1 You download at your full line speed (If you have 8mb download you download at 8mb), P2P you don't know what speed your gonna download at."
    Er... doesn't that depend on your Usenet host?

"2 If you download something you know your going to get it as long as its in your usenet retention rate (P2P relys on the other person staying logged on)"
    Most torrents have 20+ seeders, which is more than enough to ensure completion. They also last for more than 60 days. [​IMG]

"4 Most of the time when downloading from usenet what your getting is real and not fake"
    I've never even seen a fake torrent.

12. friedchicken

friedchicken GBAtemp Regular

Aug 14, 2006
    United States
    southern california
    Newshosting + Newsleecher + http://www.binsearch.info

Been using it for years. Recently they updated their retention from 45-70days. However, they have new pricing for 70days which is 19.99/unlimited but I've been on their 14.99/unlimited connection for years and can still use their 70days retention. I've also used Usenetservers for 3 months before the switch but back then UNS had connections trouble, dont know about now.

The irony is that you can find a working version of Newsleecher on usenet. Im on 3.5 final and it has all the features I need. NZB support, bandwidth throttle, auto pause .par files and disconnect when done.

Binsearch is the best free usenet search engine. Got lots of options for searches and will generate .nzb for your newsreader.

torrent for me is only good for non popular stuff (in america) . e.g. Futbol games.

13. Katalyst

Katalyst Johnald Everyperson

Oct 26, 2002
    United States
    From H-Town, Residing in ATL.
    Pretty much the same thing here. The $15 for unlimited is nice and probably the best option out there I've seen, hence I went with it. I don't like being limited with some things. Jan., I may download 2GB, and Feb. I may download 20GB, so having unlimited works well for me. binsearch is probably the best usenet search engine and I usually go with NZBsRus for grabbing NZB sets. Newsleecher ftw as well. The 3.9 beta has automatic RAR and PAR2 handling as well which makes it even more awesome. Just waiting for a 3.9 beta crack right now ;p

14. oofrost

oofrost Member

Newcomer
    Oct 21, 2006
    United States
    Los Angeles, CA
    I used to use UNS for 3 years. It had problems connecting once in a while and was down a lot. Switched to Giganews last year and it's much better. NewsLeecher is the best that I've used, currently on v3.9 Beta 1.

15. OrR

OrR Rice-megatron Expert

Nov 24, 2005
    Gambia, The
    Hildesheim/Germany
    I don't have the money for Usenet... I'll just stay with my torrents and IRC and hope that some more people join freenet.

16. 754boy

754boy :D

Banned
    Oct 24, 2002
    United States
    Mississippi
    I use Usenet for the majority of my download needs. I always get my full connection speed too. My ISP provides me with free unlimited access and their retention time is pretty good too. I tried using Newsleecher but it just wasnt as easy to use as Newsbin Pro is.

17. Jiggah

Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 9, 2002
    United States
    Newshosting + Grabit! + QuickPAR = Super Easy and highly recommended.

18. Sebokie

Sebokie Member

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2006
    France
    I use both Usenet and IRC, however i prefer Pan newsreader over Grabit, since it is GPL and you can search/browse newsgroups for free.

19. 2cb2ct7

2cb2ct7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 5, 2007
    I'm using GrabIt at the moment, pretty sweet and intuitive! What is this PAR business all about?

20. adgloride

adgloride Its A Wii Wario

Apr 2, 2003
    You use the PARs to fix files that are damaged. Just download quickpar for free and if you download the PAR files with that belong to the files you download any errors should be fixed.