usage of USENET

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Ludvigsson, Feb 7, 2007.

?
  1. mIRC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Usenet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mikeosoft

mikeosoft GBAtemp Regular

Dec 9, 2004
    United States
    because my amazing comcast cable provider blocks almost every good newsgroup....

i use easynews

2. Tomobobo

Tomobobo Champion.

Nov 26, 2005
    United States
    You don't have to only use your ISP's news server, fyi. alt.free.newsservers check it out soemtime.

And I wouldn't pay for newsleecher. A little searching might land you it for free.

3. Arm73

Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Mar 4, 2006
    Italy
    Switzerland
    So basically if my provider(earthlink.net) grants me access to newsservers(and I think it does) and I manage to use newsleecher just like i use photoshop cs3(ehrmm..I had a tip) than basically I am all set to go.
    Alternatively, If i login for more speed and more options I can purchase a subscription to this various news servers that you guys were talking about.
    OK
    I am closer now to understand.....[​IMG]

4. Tomobobo

Tomobobo Champion.

Nov 26, 2005
    United States
    slyck.com will help you out buttloads man. nzbsrus.com is an awesome site for nzbs, which are sorta like torrents if I had to relate the two..

Oh and people paying for easynews.. ahha I get them for free.. ahha.

5. Arm73

Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Mar 4, 2006
    Italy
    Switzerland
    I just found out this:
    this is what I get from my IPS !!!
    I guess I better subscribe to a different server, the price seem reasonable, 5GB in 30 days isn't that much...
    Thanks for the links TOMOBOBO !
    I will check them out.

6. Tomobobo

Tomobobo Champion.

Nov 26, 2005
    United States
    No that isn't much at all. Try finding some better servers, hopefully something you don't have to pay for. But if you have the money, giganews and other news providers are definitely worth the investment.

7. Renegade_R

Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Apr 21, 2004
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario
    I personally use Usenetserver as my usenet provider.

Why?

Because I am a 'hot and cold' kind of downloader. I don't download very often but when I do I do a lot. They have a service where you get 3 days of unlimited downloads for $3. With a 75 day retention time, I consider this an awesome deal. Yes Giganews has a larger retention, but hey, $3 is not even lunch money.

Plus, Usenetserver has a global search feature which is pure gold because it searches all the groups on THEIR server. The ability to make .nzb files to make downloading even more a snap. No more downloading headers.

Edit: Oh wait, just now they upped their retention rate to 90 days. That's so freaking awesome! Also notice how I didn't post a referral link here even though it gets me credit [​IMG].

8. DownwardSpyral

DownwardSpyral The Fastest Thing Alive

Newcomer
    Aug 16, 2006
    United States
    Green Hill Zone
    Seriously? No one uses Newshosting.com? I had Usenetserver but their server kept crashing and connections would timeout. I then picked up newshosting and have loved them ever since. Hell, the owner even gave me free time when I ran into financial trouble.

As for newsreaders, Newsleecher is often regarded as the best, but the program is fairly expensive to own, and sometimes difficult to obtain 'otherwise'. Not to mention frequent updates to the program that didn't really fix anything. I now use Grabit if I need to sift through headers and NZB O Matic if I only need the nzb file.

9. adgloride

adgloride Its A Wii Wario

Apr 2, 2003
    I went over to usenetserver from giganews. It took paypal and had quite good retention. They did a free weekend the week before and that made my mind up to change. 2 weeks later their system had some sort of crash and the stuff I found were so incomplete even the pars wouldn't fix them. I soon changed news server. Also avoid thundernews, last time I was on them I cancelled the paypal because the service was rubbish. They closed the account and robbed me of 2 weeks of usenet access.

10. N3CR0P57

N3CR0P57 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2006
    Canada
    Ontario, Canada
    Usenetserver.com and Grabit.
    Sucks that ISPs don't include this free with their service anymore.
    But paid access is so much sweeter.

11. T-hug

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    Should've added a fourth option of FTP and 5th of torrent ;p.
    I used to use giganews for some time but switched to newshosting.com when they put the prices up. I pay $15 per month (£8) for unlimited account and have never had a problem, always maxes me out.

12. spotfek

spotfek Member

Newcomer
    Oct 16, 2006
    Personally I use astraweb as usenet provider in combination with newzleecher and of course newzbin.

13. AshuraZro

AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Feb 21, 2004
    Canada
    Saskatchewan
    I'm too cheap to get Usenet. Maybe later. Always love the free trials though. [​IMG]

14. superkrm

superkrm GBAtemp Fan

Jun 2, 2006
    United States
    a Rick Rolled Nation
  15. outphase

outphase Custom title

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    What? How do the ISOs magically become legal? They're still illegal...

16. Mewgia

Mewgia drifter

Dec 16, 2006
    United States
    Boston, MA
    Eh, I'm too cheap to use usenets, unless there are some free ones. I just use torrents for a bunch of things, and certain websites for roms...So far I have no real use for paying for a usenet, though the time may arise (like when I mod my Wii to play "backups")
    So I'll be searching around for some free/very cheap usenets, maybe some pay-for-a-day thing, because I don't download constantly...

17. superkrm

superkrm GBAtemp Fan

Jun 2, 2006
    United States
    a Rick Rolled Nation
    ISO's are born legally but they just grow up to be illegal in the wrong enviroment. [​IMG]

An ISO's in itself is not illegal. Unless the content that it holds was gathered illegally or without permission.

18. grubbymitts

grubbymitts GBAtemp Regular

Sep 2, 2006
    I know nothing about the legality of ISOs having only ever downloaded Knoppix Linux distros from Usenet. Honest.

19. FSSimon

FSSimon GBAtemp Regular

Mar 20, 2006
    Canada
    Sept-Iles, QC
    My ISP has free usenet! I use xnews.

I also use mirc, torrent and emule.

20. archagon

archagon GBAtemp Regular

Jan 17, 2003
    United States
    How is Usenet any better than P2P? (real question)