Ludvigsson

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Not sure if this is the right place to post it but I'm curious if people tend to use usenet rather than mIRC for finding homebrew/games/patcher etc. What do you use?

Strokemouth

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Usenet is much easier. IRC if I'm in a hurry.

And you'll notice I did not refer to it as "mIRC" as that is the name of just one client (which I never really cared for...I've always been partial to X-Chat) and not the protocol/service itself. It's like saying, "I downloaded this file from Firefox!" instead of "I downloaded that from the web."

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Usenet ftw. I use it for just about everything. I can't even remember the last time I used IRC for downloading stuff..or hell, even a P2P/torrent program
blink.gif

toxtrepla

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
speaking of which, for those who use usenet, do you recommend giganews? if theres a better server out there, then which is it? ive been trying to decide for a while now before i subscribe.

thanks in advance!

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
speaking of which, for those who use usenet, do you recommend giganews? if theres a better server out there, then which is it? ive been trying to decide for a while now before i subscribe.

thanks in advance!

giganews is the best one but you pay the most for it. I use newsdemon. With a discount code I get it for £6.50 a week. A few of the groups are missing. The less popular ones, the GBA groups and most of the pron groups.

I use usenet most of the time to download. IRC you need to queue most of the time and it only takes the file server to log out and you can't get the file you want.

toxtrepla

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the information guys, its much appreciated. I'll be looking into those tonight for sure.

The prepaid accounts are great, but with all of the completely legal isos i'll be downloading, im sure i'll burn through them relatively quick.

I still wonder if giganews is worth the price... i guess i'll know soon enough. I'll give the free trial a go I suppose.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well I use IRC because.....it never occurred to me that usenet would get the job done as well(even better from what I hear).
It's interesting the fact that you can you can pay a small fee for a couple of days instead of having to purchase one week or the whole month, one could use it every once in a while to update most of the files and stop using it untill something else has to be done.
I don't suppose somebody could point me out to a quick guide to usenet or could give me a little heads up on where to get started ?
I' m going to check out that usenetserver.com later on, probably I'll find some intructions on the main site anyway, but I'll be back If I need some help, I know I can trust this community.....
wink.gif

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never understood why people pay for usenet. I mean, I guess it's cool, cause my friend uses giganews, and the retention and completion are awesome, but I use free servers and get full bandwidth and about 25 day retention around 80% completion.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've just been to usenetserver.com, there are some links to download news readers, I was wondering if there is a specific one that you guys would recommend or are they pretty much the same ?

D

Deleted User

I use giganews - not the cheapest, but really fast, and high retention.

merlins-portal (Free) and newzbin (really cheap) for searches

My ISP in Canada give REALLY slow downloads with Torrents. Mirc is a little too complicated for me. Just really started to use usenet and it's awesome!

superkrm

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well I use IRC because.....it never occurred to me that usenet would get the job done as well(even better from what I hear).
It's interesting the fact that you can you can pay a small fee for a couple of days instead of having to purchase one week or the whole month, one could use it every once in a while to update most of the files and stop using it untill something else has to be done.
I don't suppose somebody could point me out to a quick guide to usenet or could give me a little heads up on where to get started ?
I' m going to check out that usenetserver.com later on, probably I'll find some intructions on the main site anyway, but I'll be back If I need some help, I know I can trust this community.....
wink.gif

slyck.com
lecture.gif

nzb's are ur friends

i love v3.newzbin.com

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Newsleecher is the best, imo. It's not free (or is it?). Grabit is a good program for usenet noobs.

yeah I' m giving it a try right now, but what is is that I have to do to use it ?
I mean do I pay for newsleecher(registering) and then am I free to search the news or do I register at useneservice.com in order to download anything, or (and this is my guess) do I have to pay for both ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry I let @HiradeGirl get into my alcohol