US State House Of Representatives Wants Answers From Sony

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Devante said:
You guys... ha... talking about did Sony provoke hackers and etc...

Actually Sony is the one who came up with this product...

The hackers are the ones who hacked it (i.e. their namesake duh) and unlocked it for everyone.

So I don't blame Sony for fighting for the very thing they created.

I'd do the same thing if in their position. Maybe not the exact same way but if I saw people hacking into my hardware, I'd try to do something about it. Especially knowing the MAIN (not only) reason is for piracy.

My fellow pirates and regular old tempers alike... sometimes you have to accept the losses with the gains.
You know... saying this on this forum, whose purpose is for people to look the next game they'll pirate for DS and wait for the next Nintendo hardware to be unlocked so they can use "homebrews" on it... it's like tackle a wall: maybe you'll destroy it, but who fuck'n cares?

BTW: I agree with you.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tho they created it, it doesn't give them power to say and do everything want without suffering
the consequence as in unencrypted info or taken away os.

If the info correct them saying something on the lines "It not hackable" doesn't help either.

Hacking =/= privacy
Some people actually only do homebrew.

With your logic they can just come up and smash your PS3 because they created.

It not black and white.

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
I don't see how people can call Sony stupid for calling their product unhackable. Nintendo have done the exact same thing with their newest handheld. And yet we still don't have a hacked 3DS.
Now I know Nintendo isn't the same as Sony, but they're both gaming companies with products that have equal potential of being hacked.

And before we get into a discussion of who's responsible, let me say this, even if I might be wrong, in the clearest way my mind voices it to my concious: The hackers are faulty of robbing information that is illegal to obtain or sell, and have robbed it through illegal means (breaking laws and the PSN EULA). The company known as Sony is faulty of not providing adequate protection to its users at a time where the protection of the said product was being taken apart, for better or for worse. The users of Sony's services are retropectively at fault for trusting in a company that has flaunted a product with more features than it actually has, and entrusted various types of personal information through the EULA to the company. The EULA, in turn, is at fault for storing these kinds of informations on a server in the first place (type of TV used, disc inserted, almost all actions done on the product, etc.)

Rinse and repeat, and you have an evil circle based on what I described above. I think that the fact that all points lead to each other here (A->B->C->D->A->ad infinitum) is what frustrates people the most here: Everything is chewing down the users initally offered services. We can expect the company to rise again and break the evil spiral, as it is, but at the cost of a lost fanbase.

Another thing I noted today: I looked at Sony's stocks, ranging from the 20th to today. It seems the worth has dropped from ~30 USD to ~28 USD. Make what you will of that fact, but it doesn't look too great, if you take it from an economical standpoint.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
On one side we see Sony giving a "thanks" gift for waiting on the PSN outage, and on the other side this news. So what is actually happening??

1. Sony is safe and are giving away free gifts on PSN with PSN+ membership.
2. Sony is in deep trouble and yet they are giving away free gifts on PSN.
3. Sony is in deep trouble and that giveaway is false.

Which of the 3 scenarios is right?? Answer :wtf:

sphinx.djc

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So again I ask, will the US government, or ANY government for that matter, write similar letters and go after gas companies regarding the sudden jump in prices, just like this meager technical issue of hackers? I'm more concerned that a portion of my paycheque keeps being funded into gas bills, as opposed to someone getting my credit card (which has happened before) where I can easily make one phone call and rectify the issue with Visa on the spot.

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xDarkAngelx said:
And why's that? Sony doesn't owe you anything for their free service being down for two weeks.

well there the matter of no access to psn plus, which is not free. There is also a couple of games that require you to use PSN to play them online and have to pay a monthly fee for. Examples I can think off hand are DC Universe Online and Free Realms (If using paid account), there may be others

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Law said:
He only changed his post after I called him on his idiocy.
That what I meant. Misunderstanding =/= idiocy.

Ps3 need some time for homebrew to go rampant specially after the geohot case.

Plus emulation of dead systems/games that wouldn't hurt the company.

QUOTE(syko5150 @ May 1 2011, 02:56 PM) THQ said that not Nintendo. Nintendo is quoted as saying they believe they can stop piracy not that it is 100% positive.

Thanks, now I didn't have to write that out.
tongue.gif

Oh and machomuu thanks for trying to defend me anyway.
tongue.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
Plus emulation of dead systems/games that wouldn't hurt the company.

Yes it would, considering almost every company is bringing back their older games through their own means of emulation. The Virtual Console, PSOne Classics, Xbox games on XBLA, releasing older games on Steam, it's happening a lot. As long as piracy is still legally piracy it can, in some way, "hurt" a company.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I'll sit here and explain how piracy is not stealing until I'm blue in the face, but there's a marked difference between pirating a PSX game that you can't get anymore, versus pirating a PSX game that's available via PSN. It's not like they even charge full price for all the games anyways, they often have sales down to $10 (or possibly less).

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Rydian said:
Yeah I'll sit here and explain how piracy is not stealing until I'm blue in the face, but there's a marked difference between pirating a PSX game that you can't get anymore, versus pirating a PSX game that's available via PSN. It's not like they even charge full price for all the games anyways, they often have sales down to $10 (or possibly less).

...it doesn't even matter if the games are available for sale or not. People don't seem to understand the principle of piracy.

A great majority of pirates buy the console depending on it's capabilities to be hacked or modded. They express no desire at all to buy the games. If the console was not hackable, they wouldn't BUY it in the first place. You're not loosing any sales - those sales are non-existant anyways. If anything, you gain some money since the pirate has to buy the console and occasionally will buy a title to have it on their shelf.

...and if they cannot pirate the console, they'll get ANOTHER console, fueling the competition's wallet.

...and if that cannot be done either, they'd sooner upgrade thier PC rather than paying for games. THAT'S how it works. *sigh*

Plus, as far as retro consoles emulation is concerned, like I said a hundred times already, not every country happens to be a state in the U.S. SOME countries give their citizens all the rights to use ROM's and ISO's of their previously purchased software, and Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft or whoever else can officially say bye-bye to their money. If I already *bought the game* a *decade ago*, I'll be the last person seen paying twice for the same thing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one