• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

US says it welcomes "dialogue in good faith" after Maduro's announcement to resume talks

Xdqwerty

Why am I?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Joe Biden's administration welcomed the dialogue proposed by the president of Venezuela, Nicolás Maduro, to resume direct talks with the United States government. The US State Department showed its support for dialogue and the agreement on electoral guarantees signed in Barbados as the best path to restore democracy in Venezuela. The Venezuelan opposition also described this resumption of talks as positive. The agenda for these negotiations is not yet known.

Maduro accepted the proposal of the United States government to reestablish direct dialogue and mentioned that he hopes to overcome the conflict with the northern country. These bilateral talks take place prior to the presidential elections, where Maduro seeks re-election. Maduro's main rival in the elections, Edmundo González, noted that any improvement in relations with the United States is positive.

The opposition group activated the negotiating commission of the Unitary Platform of Venezuela to intervene in any space that contributes to the normality of the electoral process and respect for democratic guarantees. The direct negotiations that began last year allowed the exchange of Americans detained in Venezuela for a Maduro collaborator prosecuted in the United States for money laundering.

In April, Venezuela accused the United States of failing to comply with memorandums of understanding on migration and political and diplomatic aspects. The United States revoked a license authorizing oil and gas transactions due to the Venezuelan government's failure to meet electoral commitments. Although certain agreed aspects were fulfilled, the opposition has denounced that the right of each political actor to choose their candidate was not respected.

The resumption of dialogue reveals the need to calm the election and may open the possibility of a negotiated solution. However, there are still loose ends and clarity is expected on the topics to be discussed in these conversations.

https://www.vozdeamerica.com/a/opos...acion-conversaciones-maduro-eeuu/7682427.html

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Go touch grace
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I wish Venezuela the best in regards to returning to the fold, but I do find it ironic that the US is enforcing democratic elections agreements in other countries at a time when our own democracy is crumbling right before our eyes. November's election results may not even have any impact on who our next president is, depending on how the supreme court rules on the previous fake electors plot now being presented as a supposed "official act."

Reactions: Xdqwerty

Xdqwerty

Why am I?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I wish Venezuela the best in regards to returning to the fold, but I do find it ironic that the US is enforcing democratic elections agreements in other countries at a time when our own democracy is crumbling right before our eyes. November's election results may not even have any impact on who our next president is, depending on how the supreme court rules on the previous fake electors plot now being presented as a supposed "official act."
I'm sure last Venezuela elections were rigged tho, and chavismo is the reason why the country is like this

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Go touch grace
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure last Venezuela elections were rigged tho, and chavismo is the reason why the country is like this
No doubt there's work to be done and improvements to be made, but there can be no progress without first opening up dialogue at the very least. The US' disposition toward all South American nations will quickly sour if Republicans are to retake power, however, so continued progress is very much not something which can be guaranteed right now.

Reactions: Xdqwerty

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/X4oPC3MYeCE?si=rbc4qaI1mAE7uDGO