FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We might have had this thread before but hopefully not recently enough that it would be rude. Post cover songs you like, and maybe the originals as well. In most cases I would agree that cover songs usually sound like crappy pub band covers but sometimes people make versions I enjoy. Does not have to be better but ones you still see some merit in. This sort of thread has a habit of becoming a browser killing wall of video so try to contain yourself a bit - you can always post later after someone else has gone and people are generally more likely to actually listen to something if you don't overwhelm them.
Bonus points if it is a cover, or indeed the cover was what made it a notable song and then it got covered again.

It seems I was enjoying the Toots and the Maytals cover of John Denver's Take Me Home Country Roads so I will go with that. I am far from the biggest John Denver fan in the world but can still appreciate that song.
Cover

Original

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hide your Heart - original by Kiss - written by Paul Stanley,Holly Knight and Desmond Child in 1987

Bonnie Tyler (she worked on an new Album with Desmond Child in 1988):

Stanley offered the Song to the KISS Ex-Guitar Player Ace Frehley (1989):

Also Robin Beck worked with Desmond Child on an new Album (1989):

And finally Molly Hatchet makes also a Cover in 1989:

Reactions: RyRyIV

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While not quite as risky as covering I'm a believer most would say think twice before covering a Blondie song
Still The Hillbilly Moon Explosion's cover of Call Me is worth a listen

Original

Reactions: Alexander1970

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Not a fan of The Beatles so that is probably why I don't like the original, but the Eleanor Rigby cover by Pain is fantastic.

Original:

Pain cover:

Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Not a fan of The Beatles so that is probably why I don't like the original, but the Eleanor Rigby cover by Pain is fantastic.

Original:

Pain cover:

This Song has alot (over 35) of Covers.:D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Most People think it is from HIM:

1970:

No,from Fleetwood Mac (1968):

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That Pain song got better as it went on. I too am no great fan of the beatles (tried many times to get it, can respect what they did but never going to find them in my collection) and that is probably one of their weaker well known songs but Pain did a nice take there.

Anyway if we are doing Clash songs then technically it is a traditional song sung, reimagined and riffed on by a thousand different artists but I imagine most these days will know the Dropkick Murphys version

The Clash's English Civil War though, seems rather forgotten too when it was fairly popular back when.

Live version

Sticking with the Clash and making this thread even more of a browser killer then Guns of Brixton

Nouvelle Vague do amazing covers of punk songs (Their cover of the Dead Kennedys' Too Drunk to Fuck being my favourite, though I could probably just turn this topic into an appreciation thread for them and have material for a 30 page monster) and they have a cover of that

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    The scenario in question is to do disk erases on some storage servers at my job that have I think 12x 14TB spinners, SATA SSDs, and nvme disks. The process I'm using to erase the spinners is to kick off an ATA Security Erase in the disk's firmware, then once that's done do a dd zero-fill as a second pass.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    These spinners take like 22h per each of those operations
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'll admit sometimes it takes me longer to write and debug a script that will do that for me, than it would take me to make the changes manually, but this is more fun.
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    And running it over a serial console I'd either have to spin up a dozen and a half screen sessions or just run one operation at a time
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Wrote a horrifyingly long one-liner to do all of that - spin up a shitload of screen sessions, run these commands to it, pipe output to kmsg so it shows up in the default tty's shell, and some other shit on top of that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Can't you run pssh?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Some day I'll write out a properly formatted shell script that lives on our firmware server or git repo and just call that, and have that handle every kind of server we run much more gracefully than my hobbled together atrocity does right now
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    pssh - nope. 1, what I'm doing gets done from our bootable provisioning environment, and you can only interface with that via serial console - we don't accept ssh connections on the servers in that state, and 2, I don't even know if our bootable environment has pssh baked into it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    3, I've never even heard of it before lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Anyway I can open serial console sessions to multiple devices at the same time, and broadcast my input to all of them (iTerm on Mac is the terminal emulator I'm using). It's just a matter of how many commands I'd have to run by hand, and how long they'd take otherwise lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just assumed you were working via SSH. I know my way around that. If a server is only accessible locally it's waaay beyond saving from my end so I let the DC team work on that :tpi:
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I *am* the DC team :P the remote arm of it, anyway
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Trust me, I wish I could do everything I need to do via ssh. Working through these serial console servers suuuuuucks in comparison
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    SSH rules
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I love that there's a network filesystem that runs on top of ssh - sshfs
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I use it in most of my home network for mounting network storage in various *nix VMs
  • Veho @ Veho:
    sshfs you say...
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I use SFTP but it doesn't have the bells and whistles.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Dumb dx11 and lutris
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    sshfs allows you to mount networked storage on a machine as a FUSE filesystem. It's sftp under the hood but has all of the interactivity and usability you'd expect of a locally mounted filesystem. Downside, it can slow down a little bit with massive directories, but I haven't personally run into that yet
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    This perspective is all linux oriented fwiw. I believe there's an sshfs driver for Windows, but I haven't used it yet. and no idea for MacOS
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ftp is life if not on wifi
  • wolffangalchemist @ wolffangalchemist:
    yeah ftp and occasionally samba at the house.
  • impeeza @ impeeza:
    By the way under Windows you can use Total Commander to access so many sources as drives, SFTP, FTP, WebDav, Cloud shares, etc.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Total Commander rules.
    Veho @ Veho: Total Commander rules.