Tutorial  Updated

How to obtain assets to make custom game covers.

Hello there I'm SodaSoba and I'll be dragging you through this terribly written guide.

I'm going to attempt to at least write up something to help people make their own
game covers using freely available assets from the net and everywhere and anywhere.

this guide is mainly going to involve switch games but it can easily apply to ANY game within reason
you can grab the biggest assets and images with ease, here is a small example:

big.png

technically you do not have to keep assets once you are done,
but believe me when I say if you catch a game early enough you may find assets
that you may never see again without some luck using the wayback machine.

Size.png

Still don't believe me?
Here's a quick test for you:

The Game is RXN:

RXN -Raijin- or RXN -雷神-

this game was delisted the developer was Gulti and the publisher was KAYAC Inc
with EastAsiaSoft releasing a limited physical version in the asian market
rxn2.pngrxn.png
try and find the logo that's 727 x 623 & transparent using regular search engine results.

with that out of the way lets have a look at the first tutorial:

Tutorial 1

in this example I'm going to explain how you can use a games website to grab assets for making a cover.

I've written this guide using a chromium based browser so things may slightly differ
but I hope this is a catch all quick and dirty tutorial.

when you visit the site of choice in your browser click the hamburger icon (3 lines)
select more tools > Developer tools or press Ctrl+Shift+i

devtools.png

in the developer window Click on Network then click on Img and reload the webpage Ctrl+r

devtools2.png

when you reload you will see a load of various images choose the images you want to use and save them
in this example I grabbed the brick texture tile and Save image as...

devtools3.png

you can also get images from press kits which usually contain promotional material which can vary between
developers, some contain PDFs and wallpapers others may include full sized individual assets or PSDs with adjustable layers.
not all developers have press kits and some use a templated press kit site or require you to signup

presskit.png

so using the press kit & the tiles background from the game site you can see I have made a very quick and alternative cover
600px x 900px

final.png

I tend to save versions rather directly mess with included psds
final2.png

this is just a very basic method, sometimes you may have to make your own assets
this is why the largest images you can find are better for cutting out etc.

----------

Tutorial 2

If you are just after a vertical cover you might have luck using the xbox website
in the example below you can see the cover we are going to grab but it's quite small I'll show you how to get the bigger image

ms1.png

right click the image and Open Image in new tab

after you open the new image you will notice the URL is long as heck
in this example I'll be remove the everything after the ?

ms2.png

?q=90&w=177&h=265 this is basically the quality, width & height

after removing that text press enter and voila the full size image

ms3.png

right click and save the image

ms4.png

simply rename the file <yourchoice>.jpg in this example i used xbox.jpg
it's important to include .jpg otherwise the image will have a long extension like the one in the image above

and there is the full sized image from website 720px x 1080px
which is perfectly 2:3 ratio

ms5.png

--------

the same can be done with playstation's store front but I tend to use it less

so similar to tutorial 1 I'm using developer tools again

click the hamburger icon (3 lines)

devtools.png

but unlike the first example you will need to open image in new tab

ps1.png

as with the xbox site, playstation also use resizing via the URL simply remove the text after ?
again

ps2.png

even if the image shows as a jpg in the url for me they save as webp but most new image programs open them
such as gimp or even paint

ps3.png

--------

other sites such as SteamDB you can grab the portrait image

simply click information and under library_assets you can usually find logo's here too

steamdb.png

SteamgridDB also has the same api access and you can view the original assets by clicking on any game and
pressing the View Original Steam Assets near the top

obviously steamgridDB is a very awesome site for game covers but they don't include every game and you may find
they don't have a listing but you can help them by making artwork and request a listing https://www.steamgriddb.com/request-game
I have done this in the past: https://www.steamgriddb.com/game/5327787
-------

Tutorial 3 : Thinking outside the box

Sometimes if you think outside of the box you might find images that just aren't super easy to find.
searching for images from just one search engine isn't always going to get images.

I tend to start with duckduckgo (ddg) because it has shortcuts using !bangs
info: https://duckduckgo.com/bangs

I believe brave search uses the same system

for instance if I'm looking for "Xenoblade Chronicles 3" and aren't getting good results
I may try to search google by using a !bang search from duckduckgo
  • "!g Xenoblade Chronicles 3" would search google.com
  • "!b Xenoblade Chronicles 3" would search bing.com
  • "!gj Xenoblade Chronicles 3" would search google japan
it's a neat method for speeding up searches

if you check Wikipedia you can find external references in the notes which may include useful sites with differing assets
and sometimes the Japanese name or other region names, for instance:
Known in Japan as Xenoblade 3 (Japanese: ゼノブレイド3, Hepburn: Zenobureido Surī)
or you can use a translator website such as google translate or DeepL.

because ddg is my main search engine "!gj ゼノブレイド3" would search google jp.
this doesn't guarantee anything but it improves the chances.

often nintendo jp has way better websites with excellent assets over other nintendo
sites but you may find different regions have different assets for a particular game

jpvus.png
as you can see the US site has a bigger version of the background

if a website has a mobile version it may use different assets, you can easily switch to the mobile version by changing the site canvas using the device toggle switch in developer tools

select more tools > Developer tools or press Ctrl+Shift+i > Click the Toggle device toolbar icon or press Ctrl+Shift+M
devicetogglezoom.png

once you toggle reload (Ctrl+r) the page and you may notice different assets have loaded

devicetoggle.png
if you click the Dimensions Dropdown list and select a tablet device to emulate you may get another set of different icons
this is down to the web developer/website if they have done this and isn't always done, it's usually a single asset set for each canvas.

sometimes you can find assets or promotional material on
  • Developers sites
  • Publishers websites
  • Twitter (Can sometimes Yeild images from developers or artists)
  • Artstation (might have portolio work from very talanted artists working on the game)
  • 4gamer can have large assets (Japanese gaming site)
If you are looking for older games you can try looking for press kit archives, thanks to ChaoticPumpkin for bringing it up

try changing aspect ratios adding press kit(プレスキット), key art (キーアート) or the game directors name or lead artists...

google hides some settings for searching images but advanced search is better
https://www.google.com/advanced_image_search

tineye is ok for reverse image searching especially if you find a heavily watermaked image but you don't always get results

think outside the box to make the box cover you want

--------

Tutorial 4 (bonus round)

Now lets use everything we have learned and make a cover that will work with a vertical switch theme

xeno.png

I'm going to use the 600px wide promotional art, because I tend to use steamgriddb quite a bit
I've gotten into the habit of making 600x900 images and the 2:3 ratio is the exact size my verical theme uses

so I made a 600 x 900 image and dropped/ imported the promotional image into my canvas and adjusted it to my liking.

xeno2.png

well would you look at that nice and simple but the switch won't be able to open this so we have to do some tweaks

Saving the image as a jpg making sure it's not saved progressive or optimized, I'm making sure not to save the proportions
as we need a 256x256 image

xeno3.png

as you can see the jpg is 88.2K with the switch you need to keep the image below 128K so the target I aim for is 120k
believe it or not removing the metadata can save valuable space and keep the image at a higher quality.

if you need the TitleID you can use titledblookup.stackblitz.io or tinfoil.io

--------

Here are just some very quick covers i made using some of the techniques above
how about the new zelda game?
cover000.pngcover001.png
what about a japanese version?
cover002.png

oh I've not seen the cart yet have you? it might look like this:

switch-cart2.png switch-cart3.png switch-cart4.png
maybe they will release a special edition gold cart?

perhaps atmosphere will come out on cart?

switch-cart.png

there is no limit to what can be done...
--------

I hope someone finds this useful

Last edited by SodaSoba,

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello there I'm sodasoba and I'll be dragging you through this terribly written guide.

I'm going to attempt to at least write up something to help people make their own
game covers using freely available assets from everywhere and anywhere.

this guide is mainly going to involve switch games but it can easily apply to ANY game within reason
you can grab the biggest assets and images with ease here is a example:

View attachment 346379

technically you do not have to keep assets once you are done,
but believe me when I say if you catch a game early enough you may find assets
that you may never see again without some luck using the wayback machine.

View attachment 346396

Tutorial 1

in this example I'm going to explain how you can use a games website to grab assets for making a cover.

I've written this guide using a chromium based browser so things may slightly differ
but I hope this is a catch all quick and dirty tutorial.

when you visit the site of choice in your browser click the hamburger icon (3 lines)

View attachment 346381

in the developer window Click on Network then click on Img and reload the webpage Ctrl+r

View attachment 346382

when you reload you will see a load of various images choose the images you want to use and save them
in this example I grabbed the brick texture tile and Save image as...

View attachment 346383

you can also get images from press kits which usually contain promotional material which can vary between
developers, some contain PDFs and wallpapers others may include full sized individual assets or PSDs with adjustable layers.
not all developers have presskits and some use a templated presskit site or require you to signup

View attachment 346392

so using the press kit & the tiles background from the game site you can see I have made a very quick and alternative cover
600px x 900px

View attachment 346384

I tend to save versions rather directly mess with included psds
View attachment 346385

this is just a very basic method, sometimes you may have to make your own assets
this is why the largest images you can find are better for cutting out etc.

----------

Tutorial 2

for this method if you are just after a vertical cover you might have luck using the xbox website
in the example below you can see the cover we are going to grab but it's quite small I'll show you how to get the bigger image

View attachment 346387

right click the image and Open Image in new tab

after you open the new image you will notice the URL is long as heck
in this example I'll be remove the everything after the ?

View attachment 346388

?q=90&w=177&h=265 this is basically the quality, width & height

after removing that text press enter and voila the full size image

View attachment 346389

right click and save the image

View attachment 346390

simply rename the file <yourchoice>.jpg in this example i used xbox.jpg
and there is the full sized image from website 720px x 1080px
which is perfectly 2:3 ratio

View attachment 346391

--------

the same can be done with playstation's store front but I tend to use it less

so similar to tutorial 1 I'm using developer tools again

View attachment 346381

but unlike the first example you will need to open image in new tab

View attachment 346393

similar to the xbox site playstation use resizing via the URL simply remove the text after ?
again

View attachment 346394

even if the image shows as a jpg in the url for me they save as webp but most new image programs open them
such as gimp or even paint

View attachment 346395

--------

other sites such as SteamDB you can grab the portrait image

simply click information and under library_assets you can usually find logo's here too

View attachment 346397

SteamgridDB also has the same api access and you can view the original assets by clicking on anygame and
pressing the View Original Steam Assets near the top

-------

Tutorial 3

sometimes if you think outside of the box you might find images that just after openly available,
searching for images from just one search engine isn't always going to get images.

I tend to start with duckduckgo (ddg) because it has shortcuts using !bangs
info: https://duckduckgo.com/bangs

for instance if I'm looking for "Xenoblade Chronicles 3" and aren't getting good results
I may try google "!g Xenoblade Chronicles 3" in ddg
or even bing "!b Xenoblade Chronicles 3"
even google japan "!gj Xenoblade Chronicles 3"

if you check Wikipedia you can find external references in the notes and sometimes the Japanese name for instance:
Known in Japan as Xenoblade 3 (Japanese: ゼノブレイド3, Hepburn: Zenobureido Surī)

because ddg is my main search engine "!gj ゼノブレイド3" would search google jp.
this doesn't guarantee anything but it improves the chances
normally nintendo jp has way better websites with excellent assets over other nintendo sites but you may find different regions
have different assets for a particular game

sometimes you can find assets or promotional material on
Developers sites or Publishers websites,
Twitter
Can sometimes Yeild images from developers or artists
Artstation might have portolio work from very talanted artists working on the game
try changing aspect ratios adding presskit or the game directors name or lead artists...

think outside the box to make the box cover you want

--------

Tutorial 4 (bonus round)

Now lets use everything we have learned and make a cover that will work with a vertical switch theme

View attachment 346398

I'm going to use the 600px wide promotional art, because I tend to use steamgriddb quite a bit
I've gotten into the habit of making 600x900 images and the 2:3 ratio is the exact size my verical theme uses

so I made a 600 x 900 image and dropped/ imported the promotional image into my canvas and adjusted it to my liking.

View attachment 346399

well would you look at that nice and simple but the switch won't be able to open this so we have to do some tweaks

Saving the image as a jpg making sure it's not saved progressive or optimized, I'm making sure not to save the proportions
as we need a 256x256 image

View attachment 346400

as you can see the jpg is 88.2K with the switch you need to keep the image below 128K so the target I aim for is 120k
believe it or not removing the metadata can save valuable space and keep the image at a higher quality.

if you need the TitleID you can use titledblookup.stackblitz.io or tinfoil.io

--------

I hope someone finds this useful

Thanks for posting how you do all the magic behind the scenes!

Extremely useful!

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for posting how you do all the magic behind the scenes!

Extremely useful!
This is slightly basic in the editing department but it might help people find the building blocks.
I felt compelled to write up something after Nintendo decided to pull some shenanigans with DMCA.
It might help people make their own covers or even wallpapers using assets.

i have in the past been able to recreate covers using individual assets and stock images.

Reactions: binkinator

ChaoticPumpkin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another way that I've found, although it really depends on the game, is looking for archives of press kits (often for e3), I've found some really high quality artwork to use as a wallpaper or even getting a poster printed, like some BotW promo art that was something like 8k or even higher.

Reactions: SodaSoba

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Another way that I've found, although it really depends on the game, is looking for archives of press kits (often for e3), I've found some really high quality artwork to use as a wallpaper or even getting a poster printed, like some BotW promo art that was something like 8k or even higher.
Very good input, thank you I've not found direct links to e3 press stuff usually it's archived content from older events.
It's usually behind login requirements, similar to Nintendo's press site (press.nintendo.com)
Bandai namco has a press site you can try searching using Google dorks but success is limited.

Like I said "not all developers have presskits and some use a templated presskit site or require you to signup"
I assume without decent press credentials most places aren't going to just handout logins to random people.

I believe I attempted to register once but I don't recall gaining access.

I haven't covered image upscaling but it can be done and the upscaling is starting to be really good as far as quality is concerned

ChaoticPumpkin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very good input, thank you I've not found direct links to e3 press stuff usually it's archived content from older events.
It's usually behind login requirements, similar to Nintendo's press site (press.nintendo.com)
Bandai namco has a press site you can try searching using Google dorks but success is limited.

Like I said "not all developers have presskits and some use a templated presskit site or require you to signup"
I assume without decent press credentials most places aren't going to just handout logins to random people.

I believe I attempted to register once but I don't recall gaining access.

I haven't covered image upscaling but it can be done and the upscaling is starting to be really good as far as quality is concerned
Oh yeah, I just reread the original post and realize you already mentioned press kits. I probably shouldn't write replies on 2 hours of sleep haha :wacko:

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh yeah, I just reread the original post and realize you already mentioned press kits. I probably shouldn't write replies on 2 hours of sleep haha :wacko:
No don't worry about it, it's still a good recommendation I might add another detail about different expos etc ... As there are plenty of archived e3 press kits around
Post automatically merged:

I have rewritten Tutorial 3 and added a new section regarding older press kits & expanded the guide to include getting assets from mobile sites if they exist

Last edited by SodaSoba,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat