Hacking Upgrading Mods and System Menu Questions

jlg6184

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been reading several guides as to how to upgrade to the newer mods and system menu. Currently have:
3.2U with SoftMii 2.1.1 (with CIOSCorp and Preloader 0.28), CIOS rev.13. I have been contemplating upgrading so I can have the SDHC support (which I believe comes with 4.0U). Everything runs just fine, with no issues, I just want some of the 4.0 features, my problem however is I remember SoftMii 2.1.1 had a nand dump to save your original IOS files, and I failed to do so, so I just have the CIOSCorp modified IOSs (which is fine as I like the Boot from disc channel), but anyway on to my question, from what I understand, i will need to install Preloader .29 (as it works with 4.0U), then do the safe 4.0 upgrade. But my questions are Am I going to have to do anything special when updating the Preloader seeings I was foolish enough to use SoftMii to begin with, or will just following the Guide work for me in this case? Second, will using the safe 4.0 updater nullify the boot backups from disc channel? I just am cautious as I know one screw up with CIOScorp installed, very well could be your last, and I don't want to chance it. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you

wyndcrosser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Don't touch CIOS
1a. Install Preloader 0.29 (no need to update)
2. use IOS downgrader (not CIOS downgrader)
3. Update HBC to 1.0.3
4. System update to 4.0
5. Update to Rev13b

Solves every problem seriously.

UPDATE: If your going the USB route then get a GX loader with 002 support and FORCE NTSC support.

Everyone on this forum thinks wwwwwwwwwwwaaaay too much about hacking their WII. Just do it. Read, Hack and be Happy. There's enough random posts of people asking similar questions to answer every question in your post. That's how i solve any issues I've had, and have led me to believe steps 1-5 solve EVERYTHING mostly.

Not yelling at your just trying to make sense... and let off a little steam.

Wynd

jlg6184

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wyndcrosser said:
1. Don't touch CIOS
1a. Install Preloader 0.29 (no need to update)
2. use IOS downgrader (not CIOS downgrader)
3. Update HBC to 1.0.3
4. System update to 4.0
5. Update to Rev13b

UPDATE: If your going the USB route then get a GX loader with 002 support and FORCE NTSC support.

Everyone on this forum thinks wwwwwwwwwwwaaaay too much about hacking their WII. Just do it. Read, Hack and be Happy. There's enough random posts of people asking similar questions to answer every question in your post. That's how i solve any issues I've had, and have led me to believe steps 1-5 solve EVERYTHING mostly.

Not yelling at your just trying to make sense... and let off a little steam.

Wynd

Thank you for that bit of information, I will read on the IOS downgrader (as I don't remember that...lol) and with the 4.0, that is the safe update, correct? And I understand you aren't yelling as these questions do likely occur alot, but some of us can't afford to brick our wiis (I know they can be easy to fix) but I wouldn't want to have to go thru the headache. But thank you again for the input.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If your Wii is older than mid-2008 and you're afraid of bricking then you should get bootmii installed to boot2 ASAP and make a nand backup. Then whatever you mess up with will basically have an "undo" button. Load up the HBC and it should prompt for an auto update if it's relatively recent, and open up the hackmii installer when you do it. This will let you install the updated HBC as well as bootmii.

Install to boot2, use a GC controller to make a nand backup (needs at least 540ish MB free on sd card) and then do whatever you want.

BTW IOS downgrader is used to get rid of CIOSCORP, instructions to upgrade your Wii are in the ULTIMATE 4.0 guide. Just follow the online guide.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144835

jlg6184

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, my Wii is pre-2008 (was purchased 9/19/2007), but thank you for that information and explaining a bit more indepth as to what IOS Downgrader does and providing a good link for me, I sincerely appreciate that. One final question though, I should do the IOS downgrader, then do BootMii, correct? Off to read that guide again, thank you again mate.

Riley

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
nabster92 said:
BTW IOS downgrader is used to get rid of CIOSCORP, instructions to upgrade your Wii are in the ULTIMATE 4.0 guide. Just follow the online guide.

and you also have to reinstall IOS9 using wad manager. IOS Downgrader doesnt remove that.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jlg6184 said:
Yes, my Wii is pre-2008 (was purchased 9/19/2007), but thank you for that information and explaining a bit more indepth as to what IOS Downgrader does and providing a good link for me, I sincerely appreciate that. One final question though, I should do the IOS downgrader, then do BootMii, correct? Off to read that guide again, thank you again mate.

No do bootmii ASAP. It has nothing to do with anything else on your Wii. Nothing else will come close to touching boot2 and you want to make your NAND backup at a good working point of your system before you do anything that can possibly brick you.

jlg6184

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nabster92 said:
No do bootmii ASAP. It has nothing to do with anything else on your Wii. Nothing else will come close to touching boot2 and you want to make your NAND backup at a good working point of your system before you do anything that can possibly brick you.
So do the bootmii now so if anything happens I atleast have a good working version of everything, alright I catch what you are saying, thanks...will do...I am now getting everything that I am going to need to update this now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Proxy sites, not very effective.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    if ur on a Chromebook and cant change jack about the laptop that's what I gotta use
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    One of the sites that weren't blocked on the school's network was some file uploading sites. I would upload some games, write down the URL and take it to school one day.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't allowed.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: a