Hacking Upgrading from R4, Can't decide.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
On-Board memory = phail

Just look at the DS-X, horrible ROM support, and the team ditched the card because on-board memory simply does not cut it for DS games.
The G6 Real is close to being good but many people report losing save files and for some reason no store sells them anymore.
And like you said, AceKard RPG isn't that great either and the team clearly favors the AceKard 2 as their flagship prodcut.

Thus, most DS flash cards use MicroSD for storage because it's just better.
If Team Cyclops decides to release a CycloDS 2, it certainly won't have on-board memory, unless TC is suicidal.

And there's no reason to upgrade an R4 to a Cyclo unless:
1. Your R4 broke
2. You're insanely rich
3. You have an idiotic friend who wants to buy your R4 for $100.

Upgrading a flash card for a couple more features is just a plain waste of money.

However, if you're a flash card newbie, then I definitely suggest getting a Cyclo.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I just hate it when people say "My ds's battery lasted 10 hours, then when I got a CycloDS, it only lasted two hours." I hate it because it is always a gross exaduration. Look at this:

QUOTE said:
Test condition:
Fully charged European Black Nintendo DS Lite
CycloDS Evolution 1.12, Japanese 1GB PNY micro SD card (FAT32)
New Super Mario Bros. Running Main Menu and movie looping continuously
Screens at max. brightness (level 4)
Sound at 100%

Results:

Backup ROM of New Super Mario Bros. on CycloDS Evolution = 4 hours 27 minutes
Retail New Super Mario Bros cart = 4 hours 55 minutes

That was from a gbatemp official review. if this is your guys only thing against the Cyclo besides it's price, than the only reason not to upgrade is if you are a serious cheap***

XeroRestraint

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
puddnhead said:
Good for you. So it sounds like the cyclo (or rather, SDHC), loads faster, and you can do real time saves. No one denies that this is something R4 cannot do. You are driving a "cadillac," cool for you. I confess, I don't own a cadillac car. Like with the R4, I suppose I could just park my current car in the garage to gather dust and go out and buy a brand new cadillac to drive instead, and get a "thrill" from how the seat is a bit more cushy on my arse (the "better skin?") as I drive the same places I was alwasy able to drive before I "upgraded." I could swing the cost if I really wanted to. There are many things in life that I don't upgrade to the absolute latest & greatest toy, throwing away a perfectly functional old toy in the process. But because there are many things, and I do not have unlimited wealth, I prioritize what things I upgrade.

You concede in your own p[ost that the only significant difference in your experience between R4 and CycloDS is possibilitity of larger mem cards, RTS, waiting 3 seconds less when you load a saved game, and having the thrill of changing the background all the time (I don't get why people are compelled to do that, I just pick the one I like best and stick with it, but whatever ...). My 2gb card in my R4 holds a ton of games, more than I am playing at any one time (do people really pay 50 different DS ROMs in an average week?), and I spent a lot more than 3 seconds of my life earnign the additional $60 that the cyclods would cost. CycloDS may or may not have "better game compatibility" than R4. But for me anyway it is a moot point, the R4 has played every ROM I have ever tried in it, including POR (what' ROMs are there that don't play in R4 with fast enough card anyway???), so that "upgrade" is meaningless. RTS would be nice, but on the other hand, I understand the cyclods sucks down the ds battery faster than the R4, so I'm not sure I'd take less play time over ability to save more often anyway, all esle being equal.

Again ... yet again ... everyone agrees that the cyclods has more features overall than R4. Why do people keep beating this fact to death when no one is disagreeing with it. The issue is -- the question asked in this thread is -- is this "upgrade" worth paying for if you already have a perfectly funcitional R4?

Ah puddnhead ... so sorry that my personal opinion has gotten you so worked up. In your distressed response it seems your offense has led to several logical & material fallacies. While that's neither here nor there, your attempt to invalidate my PREFERENCE is simply ridiculous. You HAVE made it perfectly clear that you are content with the R4DS, so - bravo!

In the meantime, your attempt to reframe the argument by restating the "purpose" or question originally asked in this thread is flat wrong. Please re-read the title if you are still confused. It is not whether an upgrade is "worth paying for if you already have a perfectly function R4" as you have CONVENIENTLY tried to redirect. Rather, the very premise and title of the thread indicates that the topic creator has already resolved to upgrade from an R4 and is trying to decide between the Cyclo & SuperCard products. I shared my first-hand experiences from owning both and what differences one could expect to enjoy.

All you've done is argue why the premise of upgrading irritates you, albeit quite effectively. In the future please make sure you understand the discussion before mouthing off impolitely. Anyway, I've said enough but before I sign off - I am curious how you arrive at a $60 price difference between the R4 & Cyclo ... is the Canadian dollar *that* weak ... I mean, the US dollar is pitiful as it is and there's only a $10-15 difference in that currency.

puddnhead

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
XeroRestraint said:
In the future please make sure you understand the discussion before mouthing off impolitely.LOL. Uh, how quickly you forget your own words. The post of yours I replied to said -- your words -- that the CycloDS is a "Cadillac" and the R4 is "a piece of shit I would only use if I had to." That was the context of my reply, not whatever you want to imagine it was in your head today.

QUOTE said:
Anyway, I've said enough but before I sign off - I am curious how you arrive at a $60 price difference between the R4 & Cyclo ... is the Canadian dollar *that* weak ... I mean, the US dollar is pitiful as it is and there's only a $10-15 difference in that currency.For someone who spends so many words/so much time writing nothing more than "you didn't understand anything that anyone is saying puddnhead"
lecture.gif
it's pretty darn ironic that you don't understand even that. The thread & my post is about upgrading from an R4 to a CycloDS. The cost of upgrading to a CycloDS is precisely the cost of one CycloDS. Around $60 shipped is about right, no? (god I hope I don't set off quibbling that I could get it delivered for $58.83 or something now ...)

p.s. I think I will ammend DeMoN's excellent post from just before yours:
QUOTE(DeMoN @ Jul 28 2008, 03:13 AM)
And there's no reason to upgrade an R4 to a Cyclo unless:
1. Your R4 broke
2. You're insanely rich
3. You have an idiotic friend who wants to buy your R4 for $100.

Upgrading a flash card for a couple more features is just a plain waste of money.
Add:

4. Your name is XeroRestraint, and/or this describes how you manage your money.

rofl.gif

pps. In case this got lost along the way, I'm not an R4 groupie or anything. The last two cards I bought were actaually AK2, they seem like a no-brainer choice over an R4 (and cheaper to boot). I actually thought about buying a CycloDS to replace my R4. It's just that I independently came to the same conclusion that DeMoN & many others did.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, https://youtu.be/KaMSXIRReOo?si=2hRoijJtiwPUHXk5